Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 117 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1773
    vCash
    The main problem with the "waiting to make a splash" plan is that there's pretty much nothing to make a splash on. Might as well grab the mid-tier guys you like when they become available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiCubsFan View Post
    If the Cubs are waiting until next offseason to make a big splash it would make sense. You will have more contracts coming off the books and also the Cubs will be getting a good TV deal. Plus they will be on year closer to our prospects being ready to go. Not only that we may know at the end of the year if Jackson is worth our time. I am very happy that we didnt lock ourselves into any of these bad contracts. Save now and spend later.
    A typical response when signing long term contracts is that they all become bad and prevent the team from making additional moves. Can't they sign good contracts that help the team improve and hold value through the length of their deal ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    A typical response when signing long term contracts is that they all become bad and prevent the team from making additional moves. Can't they sign good contracts that help the team improve and hold value through the length of their deal ?
    For top FA? No. The end of those deals are gonna be bad pretty frequently, which is why you try to configure the addition of them to meet with your teams ability curve.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Omg we haven't signed a big deal yet? Pull your head out of your *** theo. we're the cubs so we can spend money. We don't deserve a crappy team get to work!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    The main problem with the "waiting to make a splash" plan is that there's pretty much nothing to make a splash on. Might as well grab the mid-tier guys you like when they become available.
    Few options for next free agent class (just a few of the names)
    McCann
    Konerko
    Morneau
    Cano
    BRIAN ROBERTS
    Hill
    Utley
    Y. Escobar
    Young
    Ellsbury
    Granderson
    Beltran
    Choo
    Cruz
    Hart
    Pence

Hughes
    Jimenez (maybe)
    Johnson
    Lincecum
    Nolasco
    Johan (if they buy him out)
    Volquez

vCash
    Yeah, that free agent class sucks, It's worse than this year's, which everyone is complaining about, and we haven't even had the final year extensions to thin it out.

vCash
    cubs would get a better tv deal if ratings where better we dont lose 100 again and we have less holes and are closer to the playoffs. hell if we had a capable roster to pull an As or Os season our ratings would give us a HUGE tv deal.

vCash

2012 Winter Meetings Rumors & Discussion (12/2 - 12/6)

No way it's worse than this year's Kyle. Come on...

Imagine adding both Ellsbury and Cano. (Allows you to trade Almora for pitching)
    Last edited by cubsbullsbears2; 12-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    cubs would get a better tv deal if ratings where better we dont lose 100 again and we have less holes and are closer to the playoffs. hell if we had a capable roster to pull an As or Os season our ratings would give us a HUGE tv deal.
    I don't think that is really going to matter for the cubs signing a tv deal...they're the cubs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Yeah, that free agent class sucks, It's worse than this year's, which everyone is complaining about, and we haven't even had the final year extensions to thin it out.
    that's your opinion, i disagree. Might be less talented at the top

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    No way it's worse than this year's Kyle. Come on...

Imagine adding both Ellsbury and Cano. (Allows you to trade Almora for pitching)
    The pitching is garbage. This years was entirely better.

I will agree with Kyle on that front.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    I'll believe Cano doesn't get an extension when I see it, no matter how much rumbling comes out of NY between now and then.

FA classes always look way better a year out than they do when you get there, and that one looks bad even a year out. Your No. 2 position player will be turning 30 and has one 3.5+ bWAR season in his entire career.

And the pitching is just nothing. I know it's not going to happen, but one of the best reasons to be involved on Grienke is how bad the pitching classes are for the next couple of years. He might be the best we see on the market for some time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The pitching is garbage. This years was entirely better.

I will agree with Kyle on that front.
    Yeah not too much to get excited about.

Cano, Ellsbury, Granderson, Lincecum.

Some decent 2nd tier guys like Hughes, De La Rosa, Johnson, Floyd, Choo, Pence, Prado, Utley, etc.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ee-agents.html

vCash
    Choo, Ellsbury, Hughes, Johnson, Escobar, Cano(if he isn't extended) are all guys we should be targeting next off season. It's all gonna depend on health for JJ and Ellsbury though. If those guys stay healthy in 2013 we gotta be all over them. Both should be cheaper than Hamilton/Grienke this year and I like Ellsbury over Hamilton if healthy anyway

vCash
    Already saying wait til next year in December. That's totally us.