Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Do you think Stern was right to fine the Spurs?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Players play for the fans. The Spurs violated the 'spirit of the game'.

    3 6.00%
  • No. While I would be disapointed as a fan, the Spurs have to do what's best for them.

    47 94.00%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 106
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    The rules don't say this. He followed the rules. You're literally asking him to do something that isn't required of him and he couldn't have for sure known.
    That happens all the time. That's why I think the fine is unnecessary.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Except you know, in the conference game against the grizzlies.
    That's 2 different games. I'm talking about the Miami game by itself.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    MLB is more popular than the NBA. Especially recently.
    Worldwide, people watch the NBA over the MLB.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,714
    vCash
    34875
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    That's 2 different games. I'm talking about the Miami game by itself.
    Season is more than one game. Games outside the conference weigh less than division games in the standings.

    Maximizing your chance to win that game is smarter.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,714
    vCash
    34875
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Worldwide, people watch the NBA over the MLB.
    Amazingly, the fans here produce more profits because they can go to the game.

    It's why the MLB makes more money. Him alienating the fans here is a problem.

    If it was about world wide popularity, MLS would make a lot of money, it doesn't.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Season is more than one game. Games outside the conference weigh less than division games in the standings.

    Maximizing your chance to win that game is smarter.
    Lolol, you are getting sidetracked. Here is the post you made that I responded to.

    That doesn't help Pop win. (Against the Heat)
    That's why I talk about 1 game, not the season. Because you bring it up. At least if you're going to post, have some consistency.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Amazingly, the fans here produce more profits because they can go to the game.

    It's why the MLB makes more money. Him alienating the fans here is a problem.

    If it was about world wide popularity, MLS would make a lot of money, it doesn't.
    It's probably because there are larger arenas, more games and a long history. More games = larger TV deals. Larger TV Deals = more sponsors.

    He's not alienating anyone. The MLB just had a head start.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,175
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    People should complain that he fined them. But people shouldn't complain about his intentions.
    the elements surrounding this decision makes me question his intentions. I think that's a reasonable thing to do. Because if he's the one issuing fines, handing out suspensions and discipline, he's the judge and jury of the league. His impartiality and credibility are paramount.

    This decision without warning, or previous track record speaks of him stepping outside of that, and hurts how we view those qualities he's supposed to have.

    If he really believed the spurs resting those guys was a problem of habit, he'd have issued a warning before the season. If he only realized this was a problem, then you make a rule at the end of the season, or at worst, issue a league warning and sanctions from that point on. By stepping in now, he exceeds his boundaries of authority and makes a mockery of himself, and the league.

    What's even more troubling is that he has not retracted from his position in the matter. By not doing so, it makes a statement that he is above judgement, above mistake, and quite simply, a fool.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Guy View Post
    the elements surrounding this decision makes me question his intentions. I think that's a reasonable thing to do. Because if he's the one issuing fines, handing out suspensions and discipline, he's the judge and jury of the league. His impartiality and credibility are paramount.

    This decision without warning, or previous track record speaks of him stepping outside of that, and hurts how we view those qualities he's supposed to have.

    If he really believed the spurs resting those guys was a problem of habit, he'd have issued a warning before the season. If he only realized this was a problem, then you make a rule at the end of the season, or at worst, issue a league warning and sanctions from that point on. By stepping in now, he exceeds his boundaries of authority and makes a mockery of himself, and the league.

    What's even more troubling is that he has not retracted from his position in the matter. By not doing so, it makes a statement that he is above judgement, above mistake, and quite simply, a fool.

    His intentions are for the betterment of the league. He only handed out fines to enforce his original intentions. It was irrational to hand out the fines, but it worked. Teams will be more cautious going forward.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gentrified Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,354
    vCash
    1500
    Stern should fine the Washington Wizards because their product is worse then the Spurs B Team.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,714
    vCash
    34875
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    It's probably because there are larger arenas, more games and a long history. More games = larger TV deals. Larger TV Deals = more sponsors.

    He's not alienating anyone. The MLB just had a head start.
    There was a time the NBA and MLB were closer, the MLB has widened the gap here and the NBA has actually stagnated in gaining popularity, while baseball hasn't. It's why baseball makes more money

    There is a reason it's more popular around the world, world wide fans only care about the bigger markets. It's why, me, not a soccer fan, only hears about Real Madrid and Barcelona. Because foreign fans only care about the big markets.

    Not the best way to make money.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNpigeon View Post
    Stern should fine the Washington Wizards because their product is worse then the Spurs B Team.
    The Wizards have 2 injured players that can't play at all.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35,804
    vCash
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    There was a time the NBA and MLB were closer, the MLB has widened the gap here and the NBA has actually stagnated in gaining popularity, while baseball hasn't. It's why baseball makes more money

    There is a reason it's more popular around the world, world wide fans only care about the bigger markets. It's why, me, not a soccer fan, only hears about Real Madrid and Barcelona. Because foreign fans only care about the big markets.

    Not the best way to make money.
    It's because there's no parity in basketball. The rich teams get richer and the bad teams don't make money.

    The NBA doesn't alienate fans on purpose. Fans feel alienated for other reasons.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8,714
    vCash
    34875
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    It's because there's no parity in basketball. The rich teams get richer and the bad teams don't make money.

    The NBA doesn't alienate fans on purpose. Fans feel alienated for other reasons.
    You are right, but they do. Intentions don't matter.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,175
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    His intentions are for the betterment of the league. He only handed out fines to enforce his original intentions. It was irrational to hand out the fines, but it worked. Teams will be more cautious going forward.
    how can you say that when it's been like 24 hours since the fine was handed out? What record of games has there been since the fine to tell you that teams will no longer rest their stars going forward?

    How do you know what his intentions were? Are we to believe him at his word?

    I don't know about you, but I was always raised to believe that actions speak louder than words, and Stern's actions are speaking volumes different to me.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •