Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Do you think Stern was right to fine the Spurs?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Players play for the fans. The Spurs violated the 'spirit of the game'.

3 6.00%
  • No. While I would be disapointed as a fan, the Spurs have to do what's best for them.

47 94.00%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Its not entitlement. Fans paid to see the Heat play the Spurs with the warranted expectation that it would be the actual healthy Spurs not the Spurs reserves. The fans who paid for those tickets were ripped off. Would you pay the same price for a CBA game? They paid for the Spurs and got the Spurs backups.
    Ask a Heat fan if he feels ripped off.

Now ask a Spurs fan if they disapprove of these actions.

I know this may sound crazy to you, but neither care. In fact, spurs fans would prefer a title then a November win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Guy View Post
    it doesn't. As a fan of what is marketed as the best league in the world, I expect the entertainment of the best players in the world play. I pay the same ticket price as everyone else, I expect the same value out of that ticket. If a team decides to pull it's players, then I feel ripped off. What difference does it make what point of the season that is?
    For people with common sense, they would probably expect teams to rest their players at the end of the year than in the beginning of the year. Don't know why you bring ticket prices when it doesn't have any bearing.

The fact of the matter is we as fans already know teams do this. We've accepted it as practice. Therefore, in all fairness of the league, we get no policing of it, nor should there be any. To suddenly hand out sanctions without precedent shows favoritism. Favoritism is bad. It kills sport. If what Stern is doing becomes practice [and some may even say it already has], then the league has no credibility.
    What favouritism?

Who's he favouring over the Spurs? Stern, by laying down the fine, is sending a message to everyone else. He did this for the NBA, not for a specific team.

I love basketball. More than I love my favorite player, more than my hometown team. This is why I'm so outraged at the league these days, these kinds of scandals damage the game to the point where I can't love it anymore.
    Then don't love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Doesn't help Pops win when he sits his best players against one of the best teams to begin with. He doesn't have to tell them, but clearly there's something on the line for the NBA Pops should be aware of.

Either way, Stern is changing the rules. Nothing we can do. No point of debating about it.
    And yes it does, players play less well fatigued. A more rested teams will help you improve the winning percentage vs other teams. It does in fact help. Pop does not have to be aware of it, that's not his job. His job is to win titles.

We can debate the principle of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post

I know this may sound crazy to you, but neither care. In fact, spurs fans would prefer a title then a November win.
    There are actually some Heat fans and Spurs fans disappointed.

vCash
    There are actually some Heat fans and Spurs fans disappointed.
    Vast, vast majority aren't.

And rules should never be dictated on feelings.

vCash
    Vast, vast majority aren't.

And rules should never be dictated on feelings.
    Rules/law are made since they are thought to be for the betterment. Stern did this for the betterment of the NBA.

vCash

I dont have the ability to ask 18000 fans in attendance. If I paid $500 for my family to see the Knicks play Jordan, Pippen and Rodman and Phil Jackson say not tonight when they are healthy I would feel really ripped off. Kids will feel even more disappointed in missing star players. Most Spurs fans were not effected because it was a road game but a Spurs fan living in Florida who bought a ticket for the 1 time a year he could see his Spurs would be pissed especially if he has kids that are Spurs fans. The bottom line is it is a ripoff. People bought tickets expecting the heat vs the Spurs not the Spurs reserves.When you go to buy tickets to a game what team (and star players) they are playing doesnt matter to you? If that is the case my guess is you are in the minority of ticket buyers.

vCash
    Rules/law are made since they are thought to be for the betterment. Stern did this for the betterment of the NBA.
    This isn't for the betterment of the NBA because it doesn't improve anything.

If the rule did affect how things were done, more injuries would occur (not good for the NBA), but what will actually happen is coaches like pop will lie about injuries and the same problem with sponsors will occur.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    I dont have the ability to ask 18000 fans in attendance. If I paid $500 for my family to see the Knicks play Jordan, Pippen and Rodman and Phil Jackson say not tonight when they are healthy I would feel really ripped off. Kids will feel even more disappointed in missing star players. Most Spurs fans were not effected because it was a road game but a Spurs fan living in Florida who bought a ticket for the 1 time a year he could see his Spurs would be pissed especially if he has kids that are Spurs fans. The bottom line is it is a ripoff. People bought tickets expecting the heat vs the Spurs not the Spurs reserves.When you go to buy tickets to a game what team (and star players) they are playing doesnt matter to you? If that is the case my guess is you are in the minority of ticket buyers.
    Let their fan pages speak for them then, you know where their fans post? The polls are pretty indicative of what the vast majority of fans think. It's not a ripoff, especially considering how competitive the game was.

Secondly, the ticket prices of those games would not have fluctuated based on injury reports.

vCash
    For people with common sense, they would probably expect teams to rest their players at the end of the year than in the beginning of the year. Don't know why you bring ticket prices when it doesn't have any bearing.
    For people with common sense, they would probably see why it's a good idea to rest players on their 5th game in 7 nights with a homestand against a divisional rival coming up next.

What favouritism?

Who's he favouring over the Spurs? Stern, by laying down the fine, is sending a message to everyone else. He did this for the NBA, not for a specific team.
    favoritism works both ways. You can be in favor of anyone except the spurs by penalizing them where others have never been given the same treatment.

Then don't love it.
    I'm beginning to not, trust me...

vCash
    This isn't for the betterment of the NBA because it doesn't improve anything.

If the rule did affect how things were done, more injuries would occur (not good for the NBA), but what will actually happen is coaches like pop will lie about injuries and the same problem with sponsors will occur.
    Yea it does. It helps the NBA prevent future situations like this where there is of great magnitude in the game.

vCash
    Let their fan pages speak for them then, you know where their fans post? The polls are pretty indicative of what the vast majority of fans think. It's not a ripoff, especially considering how competitive the game was.

Secondly, the ticket prices of those games would not have fluctuated based on injury reports.
    My guess is I speak to a lot more Spurs fans then most the people on PSD. If you dont mind paying for something and not getting it that is your choice but it is not right or fair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Guy View Post
    For people with common sense, they would probably see why it's a good idea to rest players on their 5th game in 7 nights with a homestand against a divisional rival coming up next..
    I'm sure people understand that. People also understand teams should at least give warning (which is what Stern wanted), considering this was a game that had great magnitude.

favoritism works both ways. You can be in favor of anyone except the spurs by penalizing them where others have never been given the same treatment..
    He made his decision for the NBA. He wasn't biased against the Spurs or he wasn't biased for anyone else in the league. He did it for the league.

I'm beginning to not, trust me...
    Good.

vCash
    Yea it does. It helps the NBA prevent future situations like this where there is of great magnitude in the game.
    No, it doesn't. Faking injuries are incredibly easy.

"Can't play these guys, all got food poisoning at a restaurant."

"Flu."

"Hurt foot."

vCash
    I'm sure people understand that. People also understand teams should at least give warning (which is what Stern wanted), considering this was a game that had great magnitude.

He made his decision for the NBA. He wasn't biased against the Spurs or he wasn't biased for anyone else in the league. He did it for the league.

Good.
    His intent was to improve the NBA. However, intent doesn't mean anything for actual results. In which case, has pissed off the majority of fans and have many fans comparing the NBA to the WWE.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast