Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Do you think Stern was right to fine the Spurs?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Players play for the fans. The Spurs violated the 'spirit of the game'.

3 6.00%
  • No. While I would be disapointed as a fan, the Spurs have to do what's best for them.

47 94.00%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Stern vs. The Spurs

Ok, we all know the Spurs have been issued a fine by Stern, and we all know, regardless of whether we agree or disagree with what Pop did that he did not violate any written rule and that the fine was in turn excessive. But there is a history of the Spurs being subjected to Stern. Yahoo Sports just posted this great article.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-...194828970.html

I know many of us feel that Stern favours big maret and exciting teams, and there are many out there who believe that Stern is the next best thing to Vince McMahon, and that teams likes the Spurs and Pistons have endured harsh treatment by the officials while more 'exciting' teams have gotten many calls their way. Whether we suspect it, or believe it, there does seem to be a double-standard with how Stern treats some teams and this article pulls out a few interesting facts (notable NY's illegal draft work outs that resulted in only a small fine where other teams would have likely lost draft pics... just ask Minny about how quick the league is to take draft picks away from a small-market team when they feel the rules are being bent).

Anyways... just thought I would share. Stern has done a lot for the league, but I personally can't wait until he's gone.

I included a poll on here just to get the general concensus on the fine.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Where is the strawman option at? Severely disappointed by this poll.

vCash
    They had every right to sit their players.

Stern shouldn't have fined them, but he did to prevent the same thing from happening in the future.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Where is the strawman option at? Severely disappointed by this poll.
    I think the options are fair. I think even fans who believe the Spurs had a right to sit their players would still have a problem with them doing so. There are Spurs and Heat fans in Miami who will miss out on a chance to see three of the best players in the game play. Likewise, I think those who support what Stern's fine do so under the pretence the the Spurs violated the 'spirit of the game' even if there isn't a written rule against sitting players. I'm not putting one option up to fail against the other, and the poll doesn't suggest that one supports the article assertion that Stern is against the Spurs in general. It only speaks to this specific fine.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    Pop as a coach can do whatever the hell he wants for the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    I think the options are fair. I think even fans who believe the Spurs had a right to sit their players would still have a problem with them doing so. There are Spurs and Heat fans in Miami who will miss out on a chance to see three of the best players in the game play. Likewise, I think those who support what Stern's fine do so under the pretence the the Spurs violated the 'spirit of the game' even if there isn't a written rule against sitting players. I'm not putting one option up to fail against the other, and the poll doesn't suggest that one supports the article assertion that Stern is against the Spurs in general. It only speaks to this specific fine.
    I think you missed the joke.

vCash
    80%+ of the public agrees that it was the wrong decision.

this is not about the fans, it's about money.

vCash
    Yea I'll be the minority again.

vCash
    Absolutely for the Spurs here. A team should be allowed to rest their players if they feel that they are needed for more important games.

For example, the end of last season. What if Miami played the Big three and Wade fell over Lebron and one of them ended up tearing their ACL? You are supposed to put yourself in the best position to win every game.

Why don't we start fining teams that are trying to tank and improve their lottery spot. For example, the Nets and Raptors played a game last year where Solomon Alabi was a starter, and Deshawn Stevenson was the starting PF!

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    Absolutely for the Spurs here. A team should be allowed to rest their players if they feel that they are needed for more important games.

For example, the end of last season. What if Miami played the Big three and Wade fell over Lebron and one of them ended up tearing their ACL? You are supposed to put yourself in the best position to win every game.

Why don't we start fining teams that are trying to tank and improve their lottery spot. For example, the Nets and Raptors played a game last year where Solomon Alabi was a starter, and Deshawn Stevenson was the starting PF!
    Except Stern's reasoning was that Spurs sat them early in the season knowing there was a lot more weight in this game than other games from a financial standpoint. Stern said he would understand if it was near the end of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Except Stern's reasoning was that Spurs sat them early in the season knowing there was a lot more weight in this game than other games from a financial standpoint. Stern said he would understand if it was near the end of the year.
    That is Stern saying he cares more about ratings and profit than about the game of basketball and the health of the players.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    I can't really understand that point. did it really affect anything from that point significantly? Peoples still wanted to see this game. Miami has two fan favorite players in Lebron/Wade. People who love that team to death or hate that team still want to watch it to see how much the Heat could beat the Spurs or to see if San Antonio would embarrass them even without their top players. A fan neutral to both teams would tune in to see how a great Coach adjusts.

I guess it might be just me, but I don't see how a team (who gets commented on for playing boring basketball even with their best players) not having those "boring" players in the game could affect it too much, especially against a team like the Heat, who have two of the 5 most exciting players in the game.
    Last edited by Cal827; 12-01-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: My comment made no sense

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    That is Stern saying he cares more about ratings and profit than about the game of basketball and the health of the players.
    Obviously. Didn't take a genius to figure that out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    I can understand that point. But the thing is though, did it really affect anything from that point significantly? Peoples still wanted to see this game. Miami has two fan favorite players in Lebron/Wade. People who love that team to death or hate that team still want to watch it to see how much the Heat could beat the Spurs or to see if San Antonio would embarrass them even without their top players. A fan neutral to both teams would tune in to see how a great Coach adjusts.

I guess it might be just me, but I don't see how a team (who gets commented on for playing boring basketball even with their best players) not having those "boring" players in the game could affect it too much, especially against a team like the Heat, who have two of the 5 most exciting players in the game.
    He did it to prevent it from happening in the future. If that happened on a consistent basis, the NBA could lose money over it.

BTW, the Spurs aren't boring. They are a fast paced, exciting team.

vCash
    Except this has been going on for years and it has not hurt them financially.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast