Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Source says Mets might get creative with backloaded contracts

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...acts-1.4282448
    The Mets have been looking forward to 2014, when hefty contracts will come off the books, finally allowing them to lift what has become a virtual moratorium on multiyear free-agent deals. However, with a tight payroll and immediate holes to fill on the roster, they might not wait.

The Mets will be more willing to get creative with backloaded contracts, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking, in order to entice free agents with more money and multiyear offers. Those tactics could come into play at this week's winter meetings in Nashville.

"You can borrow some from the future," said a person with knowledge, who called finding an outfielder the team's priority.

As the offseason began, super agent Scott Boras chided the Mets for shopping "in the freezer section" of the free-agent market, scouring for bargains and inexpensive one-year deals.

But the Mets' only major payroll obligations in 2014 are the contracts of David Wright and Jonathon Niese. Taken together, the team is only on the hook for roughly $25 million in salaries. According to the source, the Mets see themselves as "close enough" to a clean slate payrollwise to consider adding future obligations.

Backloading contracts would allow the Mets to work around their current payroll constraints while still offering multiyear deals.

They still won't splurge on a major deal. But the Mets hope that their willingness to structure backloaded deals translates into a wider pool of potential fits.

Those types of deals could put players such as Scott Hairston back in play for the Mets.

The Mets may have plenty of reasons to consider leaning on that future surplus to make life easier in the present.

In the outfield, only leftfielder Lucas Duda appears to be an everyday option, and he faces health questions after injuring his wrist while moving furniture during the offseason. The Mets, the source said, might even accumulate a mix of platoon players in a piecemeal attempt to fill the vacancies.

Catcher remains an area of need but the free-agent market is thin and prices have risen accordingly. Meanwhile, the Mets must also fill out their bullpen.
    With so many needs, the Mets have also been eyeing potential trades.

As expected, the source said the Mets regard promising young pitchers Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler as their only untouchables in trade talks.

Cy Young Award winner R.A. Dickey remains in negotiations with the Mets, and according to a source, there is a possibility a deal will get done early this week. However, if an agreement can't be reached, the pitcher would attract plenty of suitors on the trade market.

Niese, first baseman Ike Davis, and reliever Bobby Parnell could also make for pieces in a trade package. Meanwhile, rival talent evaluators have raved about the quality of the Mets' pitching in the lower levels of the minor leagues, another potential reservoir for the Mets to tap.

As is the case with most teams, the Mets began various early trade conversations at last month's GM meetings, with the expectation that some of them might heat up during the winter meetings. Most talks don't lead to trades, though according to the source, "there's been a lot of groundwork."

vCash
    Josh Hamilton 5 years, 100 MM.

Year 1 - 1 dollar
    Year 2 - 2 dollars
    Year 3 - 3 dollars
    Year 4 - 4 dollars
    Year 5 - 99,999,990 dollars

vCash
    I'd rather just wait it out. We won't be competing for a playoff spot next year so I say just take the hit one more year and with the right moves in free agency, we could be talking playoffs in 2014

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    [QUOTE=PC;24534319]I'd rather just wait it out. We won't be competing for a playoff spot next year so I say just take the hit one more year and with the right moves in free agency, we could be talking playoffs in 2014[/QUOTE]

More like 2015 or 2016.

We have too many deficiencies.

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    I think it's important for the Mets to be more competitive next year. So I'm glad they are considering the back-loaded deals. I'm hoping we can get Ryan Ludwick.

I also like that rival evaluators like our talent in the low end of the minors, I'm sure they are referring to Fulmer, Tapia, Mateo, Robles, etc.

vCash
    I don't wanna hear 'we got no money' again in 2-3 years.

vCash
    The Coupons will begin spending for "meaningful baseball in September" when the mall they're building at Willets Point is ready to go. Businesses surrounding the stadium have already begun receiving letters ordering them to vacate their property by February.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wille...w-york-2012-11

I guess by backloading contracts the Coupons are hedging themselves. If the courts stop them from taking their neighbors land and the mall is delayed or prevented, they can always dump the contracts before the salaries rise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    The Coupons will begin spending for "meaningful baseball in September" when the mall they're building at Willets Point is ready to go. Businesses surrounding the stadium have already begun receiving letters ordering them to vacate their property by February.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wille...w-york-2012-11

I guess by backloading contracts the Coupons are hedging themselves. If the courts stop them from taking their neighbors land and the mall is delayed or prevented, they can always dump the contracts before the salaries rise.
    Love how you quoted me trying to make me seem like a contradicted myself. The reason I am not going to read it is because for the 1 millionth time you posted the same ****ing article that everyone has read trying to push your agenda across.

It got old 6 months ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Love how you quoted me trying to make me seem like a contradicted myself. The reason I am not going to read it is because for the 1 millionth time you posted the same ****ing article that everyone has read trying to push your agenda across.

It got old 6 months ago.
    Byline on the article shows it was written on November 27th 2012. I never posted it before. You ought to take the time to read what you're criticizing. But what for? You will always defend the Wilpons, no matter what. Unfortunately you and a couple of others mistake always defending them for being a loyal Mets fan.

vCash
    It's about Willets Point right? I have read about it 10 times already posted by you. I could care less about their mall.

What I defend is the fact that people say they only spend when they are building things which is 100 percent not true.

So I suggest you remove me from your Sig because I don't appreciate you making me seem like I don't listen to people opinions.

vCash
    Willets point is a shithole; I'm glad the Wilpons are getting rid of it even if it is by force. I have absolutely no sympathy for the piece of **** chop shop owners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Willets point is a shithole; I'm glad the Wilpons are getting rid of it even if it is by force. I have absolutely no sympathy for the piece of **** chop shop owners.
    I'm not a chop shop fan, but I do support someone owning a piece of property without it being taken away from them because some creep with multiple Ponzi schemes under his belt and money and connections wants it.

From a Mets perspective, why do you think Wilpon took the team away from Doubleday? Because he's a Mets fan? Because he likes Mets baseball? Because he takes pride in winning?

He swiped the team in a hostile takeover to get billions of dollars in public money through this Willets Point project. It's why we're stuck with Fred Wilpon, high ticket prices for garbage, more than a quarter century without a championship, and no winning coming any time soon.

If the Willets Point project is halted, chances are good Fred might cash out. I therefore want the project to fail. It's the best possible outcome from a Mets fan's perspective.

Fred still hasn't paid a cent in penalties for Ponzi scheme #2. The Mets and SNY clear enough money for Fred to start signing real talent. He realizes, though, enough people still watch SNY and go to games even with a lousy team for cheap payroll to make financial sense right now. When he needs to drive more customers to the mall he will finally start spending again.

Wait and see. "Meaningful baseball in September" will return to Flushing around the time construction of the mall is under way. And then it'll be the same thing we've seen over and over. No extra money will be spent to insure consistent winning or put the team over the top. That's how the Wilpons roll.

vCash
    Backloading the contracts only force the Wilpons to spend in the future, it's not getting rid of the current problem, it's just procrastination.

vCash
    Again with the back loaded contracts....Can someone PLEASE tell me why teams continue to do this? It winds up biting them on the *** far more times than it benefits them, I mean for example you give a player X a 6yr/120Mil contract with 75Mil or so due in years 4-6, the player turns into a bust(like Jason Bay) or a perpetual injury(Like Johan Santana) who the hell is going to trade/touch player X then? No one, and the team,be it the Mets the Red Sox or hell even the Royals(teams used for name example only NOT player examples) are stuck having to pay the tab in one way or another, I know NO team wants to think the worst..but given how most of these back-loaded contracts seem to play out, I believe they need to change that thinking, I personally think a contract should be Front or Mid Loaded, with years 2/3/4 being the sweet spot payday, after all, by logistical analysis these are the years you will more than likely get the biggest bang for the buck, after that IF the player starts to fade there will be FAR more interest by other teams via trade if the remaining money on a contract is "reasonable" say in the 7-10Mil range, just my 2 cents on the whole back loading thing

As for the Mets..."Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it, those who fail to learn history correctly well they are simply doomed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    Again with the back loaded contracts....Can someone PLEASE tell me why teams continue to do this? It winds up biting them on the *** far more times than it benefits them, I mean for example you give a player X a 6yr/120Mil contract with 75Mil or so due in years 4-6, the player turns into a bust(like Jason Bay) or a perpetual injury(Like Johan Santana) who the hell is going to trade/touch player X then? No one, and the team,be it the Mets the Red Sox or hell even the Royals(teams used for name example only NOT player examples) are stuck having to pay the tab in one way or another, I know NO team wants to think the worst..but given how most of these back-loaded contracts seem to play out, I believe they need to change that thinking, I personally think a contract should be Front or Mid Loaded, with years 2/3/4 being the sweet spot payday, after all, by logistical analysis these are the years you will more than likely get the biggest bang for the buck, after that IF the player starts to fade there will be FAR more interest by other teams via trade if the remaining money on a contract is "reasonable" say in the 7-10Mil range, just my 2 cents on the whole back loading thing

As for the Mets..."Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it, those who fail to learn history correctly well they are simply doomed."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_value_of_money

Put simply, it's because you're better off delaying your expenditures as long as possible.

Example: let's say you buy a TV for $1,000. You can pay for it all in cash today, or you can pay for it all in cash a year from now.

If you pay cash today, you spend $1,000. Duh.

If you wait a year from now, you can take that $1,000 you would have spent the day you bought the TV into some form of investment making a 5% return. At the time of the payment being due, you now have $1,050 dollars but your payment is still only $1,000. You walk out $50 richer than if you had just paid cash the day you bought it. Just imagine that on a much, much larger scale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast