Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

GTech and possibly Virginia to Big Ten?

From SBNation.com
    There are rumors that Georgia Tech and Virginia could join the Big Ten. There have been Big Ten rumors about those two schools for literally years now, but they've been showing up much more frequently this week.

If you're interested in walking through the message boardiness and deleted tweetiness and anonymous sourcing business, Land-Grant Holy Land has a good and skeptical summary of that stuff. As far as actual reporting, the most definitive we've seen is one claiming the Jackets want in, not that they're going to get in. Georgia Tech has sternly denied the whole thing, as has Virginia, but we've seen that in realignment official denials mean about as much as any of the rest of this does.

vCash
    Wouldn't Virginia Tech make more sense? Neither are in big markets, but Tech has a better program. I guess academics are the deciding factor? And I'm a little annoyed by GT. Not that they wouldn't be a fit from a football and academics standpoint, but the Big 10 has at least SOMEWHAT maintained their geographic footprint throughout all of this. GT is a bit too far for my taste.
    We're better than you
    And we know it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    Wouldn't Virginia Tech make more sense? Neither are in big markets, but Tech has a better program. I guess academics are the deciding factor? And I'm a little annoyed by GT. Not that they wouldn't be a fit from a football and academics standpoint, but the Big 10 has at least SOMEWHAT maintained their geographic footprint throughout all of this. GT is a bit too far for my taste.
    Virginia Tech isn't an AAU school while Virginia and GT are.

As for this itself, I don't really see it happening.

vCash
    So the Big 10 would have added Georgia Tech, Virginia, Maryland and Rutgers. I know its all about markets but that doesn't do much to improve their conference IMO.

I'm sure the Big East is thinking **** because you know that the ACC is gonna be looking to go after teams like Cincinnati and Connecticut. Then you have teams like Boise State talking about going elsewhere because its turning into the Big Conference-USA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    So the Big 10 would have added Georgia Tech, Virginia, Maryland and Rutgers. I know its all about markets but that doesn't do much to improve their conference IMO.

I'm sure the Big East is thinking **** because you know that the ACC is gonna be looking to go after teams like Cincinnati and Connecticut. Then you have teams like Boise State talking about going elsewhere because its turning into the Big Conference-USA.
    Rutgers gives them the NY area, Maryland the Baltimore area and Ga Tech the Atlanta area. It's all about tha mon-ay!! But you're right, if anything I think it brings down the conference "on field" production. Its one thing why I believe if SEC were to ever expand again they will only go to teams that put together at least decent teams (FSU, Miami, NC St, Clemson etc)

vCash
    Big 10 are all about adding markets. SEC should look to add quality programs, rather than just add teams for the sake of it. That's why I don't want to see N.C. State come in to the SEC. If Virginia leaves the ACC for the Big 10, that may push Va. Tech to accept an SEC offer

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    I can see the SEC adding Virginia Tech and NC State to the SEC East and moving Missouri to the SEC West.

vCash
    good, maybe the huskies can finally get the hell outta the big east and into the acc
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    I can see the SEC adding Virginia Tech and NC State to the SEC East and moving Missouri to the SEC West.
    God, I REALLY don't want N.C. State. Wish there was a way to convince North Carolina to come in

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neovenator250 View Post
    God, I REALLY don't want N.C. State. Wish there was a way to convince North Carolina to come in
    There is something that North Carolina has with Duke where they are a package deal because of basketball or something along those lines.

vCash
    There is something that North Carolina has with Duke where they are a package deal because of basketball or something along those lines.
    Yeah North Carolina and Duke have made it known that they'll stick together to keep their rivalry intact.

vCash
    I think the conferences getting bigger and bigger is sort of watering down the schedules.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    I think the conferences getting bigger and bigger is sort of watering down the schedules.
    Just look at the Big 10. They already added Maryland and Rutgers which will both be mid-to-bottom level teams in the conference. If they add Georgia Tech and Virginia they will be about the same.

But as it stands now they have the following alignment

Big 10 Leaders

Ohio State
    Wisconsin
    Penn State
    Purdue
    Indiana
    Rutgers
    Maryland

Big 10 Legends

Nebraska
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Northwestern
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Illinois

That means they will only play 2 games against the opposite division with there being permanent cross-divisional rivals that means that say for example Wisconsin would only play Nebraska, Michigan and Michigan State once every 6 years.

What happens if they add 2 more teams and go to 16? Will they never play those teams unless its for a conference championship...

Its the same way in the SEC. Its really unfair to some teams. These last 2 years Georgia has gone through the regular season without having to play Alabama or LSU. Whereas Tennessee and Florida have Alabama and LSU as their permanent cross-divisional rivals so they play every year.

If they are gonna do it this way then the top teams need to have equal permanent rivals. Because its not fair that Ohio State and Michigan have to play each other every year while Wisconsin gets Minnesota etc.

vCash
    Just look at the Big 10. They already added Maryland and Rutgers which will both be mid-to-bottom level teams in the conference. If they add Georgia Tech and Virginia they will be about the same.

But as it stands now they have the following alignment

Big 10 Leaders

Ohio State
    Wisconsin
    Penn State
    Purdue
    Indiana
    Rutgers
    Maryland

Big 10 Legends

Nebraska
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Northwestern
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Illinois

That means they will only play 2 games against the opposite division with there being permanent cross-divisional rivals that means that say for example Wisconsin would only play Nebraska, Michigan and Michigan State once every 6 years.

What happens if they add 2 more teams and go to 16? Will they never play those teams unless its for a conference championship...

Its the same way in the SEC. Its really unfair to some teams. These last 2 years Georgia has gone through the regular season without having to play Alabama or LSU. Whereas Tennessee and Florida have Alabama and LSU as their permanent cross-divisional rivals so they play every year.

If they are gonna do it this way then the top teams need to have equal permanent rivals. Because its not fair that Ohio State and Michigan have to play each other every year while Wisconsin gets Minnesota etc.
    I think the whole Super Conference thing is going to go down in a blaze of glory. The logistics are terrible when it comes to determining a fair champion of a 16 or even a 14 team conference for that matter. When you have 14-16 members of a conference and only 12 games in a year, it really is a disaster for OOC scheduling and for intra-conference competition.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Awesome, more money over substance thinking from the B10! No offense to GT or UVA fans/alums/etc but this move is all about adding markets. These moves don't make the conference more competitive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast