Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 56 of 80 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    So with the option for this year it would be 3yrs/25 million.

He wants 3yrs/31, i am sure they will meet somewhere in the middle.
    Of course. So that is why I don't understand why people are getting all worked up that we are "low balling" him. If we are shopping him we are not going to give into his demands. However if he wants to take our offer the Mets would have no problem signing him to their price. Once there is clarity on the trade market for him then the Mets will get serious with contract talks or finally trade him.

IMO I think he gets traded to Texas. We at least know Olt is coming our way. Lets hope we get more.

Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Of course. So that is why I don't understand why people are getting all worked up that we are "low balling" him. If we are shopping him we are not going to give into his demands. However if he wants to take our offer the Mets would have no problem signing him to their price. Once there is clarity on the trade market for him then the Mets will get serious with contract talks or finally trade him.

IMO I think he gets traded to Texas. We at least know Olt is coming our way. Lets hope we get more.
    Yeah like i said if they were 12-15 million apart i would believe Dickey would be as good as gone but again like you mentioned they are looking for a trade partner and until that does/doesn't materialize they are going to hold off on his demands.

It's not unreasonable to see what Dickey is worth now that some of the more elite pitchers are off the market.

Saying that, i still think they end up re-signing him because their asking price might be too step for anyone to jump.

Maybe Texas gets desperate though, we'll see.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-13-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Well we differ there..

I think they get a deal done when they are that close.

If they were 12-15 million apart, i would say Dickey would be gone without question.
    Why even negotiate if your number one priority is to trade him for prospects? Test the field first and if nothing knocks your socks off then negotiate a deal. It just doesn't look good for the Mets because it looks like they are lowballing him and now the media is turning him into a villian for answering questions that they asked.

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Why even negotiate if your number one priority is to trade him for prospects? Test the field first and if nothing knocks your socks off then negotiate a deal. It just doesn't look good for the Mets because it looks like they are lowballing him and now the media is turning him into a villian for answering questions that they asked.
    Well they still have to keep an open line of communication with the guy and monitor all possibilities. They can't hitch their wagon on dealing him then come back with their arms open and say "we want you back".

Dickey is a smart guy, he knows this is a business, and he knows the Mets are looking to make the deal that makes most sense to them. Whether that's bringing him back or finding the right prospects for him we will see.

Either way i don't much stock in "The Mets are angry with RA", as Wright was angry with the Mets after his contract details were leaked and less than 2 days later he signed on the dotted line.

Money talks and although Dickey is a guy of high moral stature, it seems if the Mets meet his demands or they can find a sticking point, he'll re-sign.

Are they wrong for being mad at him? Of course and honestly i don't know what they expected plugging him out in front of the media like that besides Dickey's usual candor.

That's the type of guy he is and the Mets were foolish to have expected him to answer the questions anyway besides honestly.

They shouldn't have been naive enough to believe that a room full of NY reporters weren't going to ask Dickey about his contract. That's what the NY media does, it's about selling papers, and what sport story sells better than a brewing controversy over the reigning Cy Young award winner's next contract?
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-13-2012 at 02:53 AM.

We know we can get at least Olt. I think he gets traded to TEX in the end, unless someone gives in... but in any case, what i absolutely do not wanna see is us resign him and not make a trade and keep him through his extension.

We aren't winning within the next couple seasons. We just aren't close enough right now and are probably at least 3 yrs away. We're WAY behind the Nationals and Braves right now.

Why resign Dickey, play out his extension, and still not make the playoffs during it when we could have at the bare minimum at least gotten Mike Olt who could very well turn into a 30 HR corner OF hitter and have him for at least the next 6 yrs.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 12-13-2012 at 03:21 AM.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2EvDdkiQa

Everyone take a breath.

Twenty-four hours after R.A. Dickey expressed frustration with contract negotiations at the Mets’ holiday party, and team officials voiced private disapproval over the timing of Dickey’s comments, there were — for once, in this circus of an extended story — only minor developments Wednesday, and no obvious weirdness.

A trade remains a solid possibility, and while the Mets indicated there was nothing hot brewing with the Texas Rangers — who have long been seen as a leading candidate to trade for Dickey — a rival executive said, “Keep your eye on Texas. They’re in it to win.”

The Mets have long since concluded that in a deal with Texas they would need more than slugger Mike Olt, a third base prospect who would move to the outfield.

The Mets remained willing to pay the 38-year-old Dickey $25 million over three years, but team insiders continued to indicate an irreversible aversion to meeting the Cy Young Award winner’s asking price of $26 million over two seasons, after he earns $5 million in 2013. Despite Dickey’s 20-win performance this year, the Mets are reluctant to pay any 40-year-old pitcher quite that much over two years.

As the Daily News reported on Tuesday, the two camps are about $6 million apart, better than the $10 million difference at last week’s winter meetings. If the sides do not agree to a deal this winter, Mets people insist that they are serious about bringing Dickey to spring training without an extension, even though the pitcher doesn’t want that outcome.

Mets insiders said on Tuesday and Wednesday that they were not in a hurry to sign Dickey, because they were waiting to see if other teams would increase their trade offers. The Mets also said there was increased trade interest in Dickey since aces Zack Greinke and James Shields came off the board last weekend, but did not offer specifics.

The Mets do appear to be ruling out the Los Angeles Dodgers as a destination for Dickey, because hey were unimpressed by the prospect of trading for shortstop Dee Gordon and minor league pitcher Zach Lee.

“There wasn’t a fit there,” one Mets official said about the Dodgers, who were interested in Dickey before signing Greinke.

Overall, the Mets are seeking at least two impact prospects in talks with Texas, Toronto, Baltimore and others, and have not yet seen that price met.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-13-2012 at 04:24 AM.

No one is that's why we don't want him lol...
    oh yeah he doesn't have the traditional great power that most SS have lol...it's fine i never thought this was all that great of a trade anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by boller4prez View Post
    That's a tremendous deal for one year of Dickey.

Of course, it doesn't really address the OF or the catcher position. Sandy would likely have to get a third team involved to get what he wants.

But just going off pure value its a very good deal. Better then Olt. Better then JPA + Gose
    Yeah i don't know why they are hating on gordon and lee but i don't care much, i also don't get why they would want Olt? What was the point of resigning Wright? I mean if they were trading both then getting a guy like Olt back would be a good idea, but not with the 8 years they gave him.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    oh yeah he doesn't have the traditional great power that most SS have lol...it's fine i never thought this was all that great of a trade anyway

Yeah i don't know why they are hating on gordon and lee but i don't care much, i also don't get why they would want Olt? What was the point of resigning Wright? I mean if they were trading both then getting a guy like Olt back would be a good idea, but not with the 8 years they gave him.
    It's not the power that is my issue with Gordon, he sucks defensively at SS which means he would have have to move to 2B or maybe CF which cuts his value some. He doesn't walk and he also can't hit the ball, and well we need offense. Plus he's another lefty. He's 25 years old, so I'm not convinced he's going to make some vast improvements, unless he gains like 20 lbs.

I like Olt because he's a right-handed power hitting prospect that can be moved to RF.

I have a feeling that if Dickey is traded, it'll be to Texas. They have a great farm system and a lot of high end prospects and I could see them giving up Olt plus 1 more high end prospect. I've heard the Texas GM believes in Dickey and the knuckleball and it could be a nice story for R.A. to return to the team that drafted him. We'll see what happens.

This thread has become so insanely long that I don't know if this has been discussed. What if Baltimore gets back into it? If they think we might move him to the Jays or Sox, would they make a move? What would we want from them?

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    You have got to be kidding me, right? Niese got Myers straight up? Niese isn't good enough for that man, come on..... and if there was a chance for Niese for Justin Upton, you bet your *** the Mets would make that deal without looking back. We'd be stupid not to. The guy is 24 yrs old with already a couple good yrs under his belt, including one that was pretty great. Lets be happy you're not the GM. Sorry but you are overrating our guys.
    I'm not overvaluing anyone. I am just more into the idea of having Harvey, Wheeler and Niese in the Rotation for 6 years. Upton is a bit over rated. He had one very good season and I am pretty sure he only has 3 years left on his deal. The Mets wouldn't be able to keep him.

As far as the Myers thing goes. If you look at years of the contract, potential progression and potential regression KC would have been better off trading Myers straight up for Niese. Niese and Oderizzi along with KC's young bats would be a pretty decent starting rotation to build around. I'm no GM but 6 years of Niese, Odorizzi and Montgomery is > then two years of Shields and Davis. KC will regret this when they don't make the playoffs this year or next or the next 6 years for that matter.

I would trade Niese for Upton if I knew the Mets would extend him along with the trade. However I don't trust the Mets to do that and good young pitching doesn't grow on trees. Unlike Wheeler and Harvey, Niese has shown he can succeed on the MLB level. Yes he didn't finish his 2 pro seasons very well but last season he showed the growth you want to see in evaluating a young pitcher. Have you seen the contracts #5 starters have been getting this off season? If Upton continued his progression instead of taking a major step backwards it would be a complete different story.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    We know we can get at least Olt. I think he gets traded to TEX in the end, unless someone gives in... but in any case, what i absolutely do not wanna see is us resign him and not make a trade and keep him through his extension.

We aren't winning within the next couple seasons. We just aren't close enough right now and are probably at least 3 yrs away. We're WAY behind the Nationals and Braves right now.

Why resign Dickey, play out his extension, and still not make the playoffs during it when we could have at the bare minimum at least gotten Mike Olt who could very well turn into a 30 HR corner OF hitter and have him for at least the next 6 yrs.
    Because Dickey is worth more then Olt who I am really not sold on. Olt plus Martin I do in a second but thats unlikely as well. The Mets and Rangers need to find something in-between. Maybe Olt along with Guzman and Matthews who are both quite a few years away. Or include Tapia or Matz and maybe another prospect along with Dickey to try to get Olt and Martin.

IDk just making suggestions but Olt is not enough for Dickey and Dickey isn't enough for Martin and Olt because of the Bias against Dickey's age and the knuckleball.

If SA gets someone's #2 & #3 prospects such as Texas, we'll all applaud it and say good enough. I for one think he is doing the right thing, if we get the package we desire then great. If none are offered that we like, then keep RA!
    " You seek Yoda!

I get the feeling if Texas resigns Hamilton, they break down and give us Olt and Martin and lock this thing up. They seem hesitant to trade Martin because they probably dont wanna be left with no one to put in the OF.

If Hamilton resigns, id expect something done fairly soon after that
    It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    If SA gets someone's #2 & #3 prospects such as Texas, we'll all applaud it and say good enough. I for one think he is doing the right thing, if we get the package we desire then great. If none are offered that we like, then keep RA!
    Agree. And I'm not sure why Duda isn't being talked about in this potential trade. He's perfect for the AL as a DH/platoon OF. Dickey+Duda for Olt, Martin + low level prospect seems very reasonable.

Page 56 of 80 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast