Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Would be cool if we could do something like Dickey and Flores for Myers. Hopefully the Royals buckle and make a Dickey for Myers swap. Crazier things have happened.
    I'm thinking Myers plus another for Dickey. If the bidding is competitive, there's no reason to sell short. Dickey is an established winner, an ace. And he's apparently not looking for crazy money. He's got at least 1000 innings left in his arm; he's worth more than just one prospect, even if it is the BA Minor League Player of the Year. I think it is imperative the Mets potentially fill 2 holes at the MLB level if they dealt Dickey. Otherwise...not dealin' him.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I'm thinking Myers plus another for Dickey. If the bidding is competitive, there's no reason to sell short. Dickey is an established winner, an ace. And he's apparently not looking for crazy money. He's got at least 1000 innings left in his arm; he's worth more than just one prospect, even if it is the BA Minor League Player of the Year. I think it is imperative the Mets potentially fill 2 holes at the MLB level if they dealt Dickey. Otherwise...not dealin' him.
    That depends on how badly the Royals are looking to compete and what they believe Dickey will do to get them where they want to be.

I get the impression they certainly want a younger arm, preferably one that isn't up for FA at the end of next season like Dickey is.

I seriously doubt they pull the trigger on Dickey unless it's for a group of their younger prospects and not Myers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That depends on how badly the Royals are looking to compete and what they believe Dickey will do to get them where they want to be.

I get the impression they certainly want a younger arm, preferably one that isn't up for FA at the end of next season like Dickey is.

I seriously doubt they pull the trigger on Dickey unless it's for a group of their younger prospects and not Myers.
    If they are seriously interested in RA, then they are seriously interested in competing. Otherwise, if they were looking to deal Myers, and pitching is what they are after, they would look to someone younger and not approaching free agency. Anyone that trades for Dickey, will have the mindset to extend him, because the nature of competitive bidding will likely drive his value to the point where not signing him would be a bad move.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    If they are seriously interested in RA, then they are seriously interested in competing. Otherwise, if they were looking to deal Myers, and pitching is what they are after, they would look to someone younger and not approaching free agency. Anyone that trades for Dickey, will have the mindset to extend him, because the nature of competitive bidding will likely drive his value to the point where not signing him would be a bad move.
    Yes but looking to compete and looking to mortgage your best prospect for a 38 year old knuckleballer are two different things.

The Royals could get 2 good to very good years out of Dickey before he begins to decline (maybe more, maybe less) and they are trading away a guy in Myers who could end up developing into one of the better hitters in MLB for the next 10-12 years.

With that much leverage i would have to believe they would be looking for an arm that is a lot younger and has more years under contract.

vCash
    Yes but looking to compete and looking to mortgage your best prospect for a 38 year old knuckleballer are two different things.

The Royals could get 2 good to very good years out of Dickey before he begins to decline (maybe more, maybe less) and they are trading away a guy in Myers who could end up developing into one of the better hitters in MLB for the next 10-12 years.

With that much leverage i would have to believe they would be looking for an arm that is a lot younger and has more years under contract.
    That's fine. Then they aren't really interested in Dickey to the degree other clubs might be, and Niese suits them better.

vCash
    Interesting idea here, we trade Dickey to Texas for Andrus, Alfaro, and Justin Grimm.

We than spin and trade Tejada, Grimm, Familia, and one of Den Dekker/Lagares to the D'Backs for Upton. The D'Backs have been said to want a middle infielder and Tejada fits the bill. They then get 2 solid pitching prospects and a solid young OF prospect to go with it.

The Mets get their top of the order guy in Andrus and their middle of the order bat in Upton. Then we sign Pierzynski to play C and Ludwick to play left.

SS-Andrus
    2B-Murphy
    3B-Wright
    1B-Ike
    RF-Upton
    LF-Ludwick
    C-Pierzynski
    CF-Kirk

Than in 2-3 years, Alfaro can take over as the C. I know its HIGHLY unlikely, but a man can dream right?
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    If they are looking to compete, they might look at Parnell along with Dickey.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    If they are looking to compete, they might look at Parnell along with Dickey.
    Parnell, Dickey, Familia, Flores for Myers and Starling

Get it done Omar
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    Parnell, Dickey, Familia, Flores for Myers and Starling

Get it done Omar
    Done. That deal would set us up waaaaay too nicely.

Outfield of Nimmo, Starling and Meyers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Have to hope LA Dodgers get Grienke, drives the price up.
    They are hot to trot for him -- and while it will drive RA's value up, I do not want to see him go.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

vCash

That sounds like what the Texas Ranger fans were saying in 1989 when they signed Nolan Ryan. "What? You're paying good money for a 42 year old who relies on his fast ball?"

Disparaging Dickey as a 38 year old knuckleballer makes no sense. As a knuckleballer, you have no idea how many more high quality seasons he has in his arm. The fact is that, at 37, he was good enough to win the CY last year, lead the league in innings and strikeouts, and win 20 games. That should be an indication of his value.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    That sounds like what the Texas Ranger fans were saying in 1989 when they signed Nolan Ryan. "What? You're paying good money for a 42 year old who relies on his fast ball?"

Disparaging Dickey as a 38 year old knuckleballer makes no sense. As a knuckleballer, you have no idea how many more high quality seasons he has in his arm. The fact is that, at 37, he was good enough to win the CY last year, lead the league in innings and strikeouts, and win 20 games. That should be an indication of his value.
    Nolan Ryan, Jamie Moyer, Phil Niekro, Warren Spahn, etc etc are the exceptions not the rule.

There is also the indicator of future long term value which is harder to predict.

It's not entirely inconceivable Dickey wins only 15 games next year and has worse peripherals. Then the year after regresses further to a more consistent pace until he retires.

Again he is hard to compare to other knuckleballers because no one has ever thrown a knuckleball quite like him. Could that mean he keeps up a quasi similar pace well into his 40s? Possibly but even the best knuckleball pitchers (outside of Phil Niekro and Wilhelm) regressed into those years.

The body breaks down and time catches up to everyone in baseball even knuckleballers.

This is the Royals best prospect and all the signs point to him being one of the better hitters in major league baseball for the next 10 years.

I can understand if they want more than a 38 year old knuckleballer (coming off what most believe is a career year) who is an impending FA after next season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-02-2012 at 10:37 PM.

vCash
    Guys, I don't think the Royals are expecting to contend here just yet, they may be farther from that than we are. I think they are looking to sell some tickets, to energize a fanbase that's sick of rebuilding by now, to provide some veteran leadership for some of the young talent they do have, and maybe to change some of the attitude and expectations in the clubhouse of a team that has finished over .500 only once since 1993.

And they already have a good collection of young positional talent, in Gordon, Perez, Hosmer, Escobar, Moustakas, Butler, Cain; this is a team that could be pretty good before long with some more pitching. But they need those young players to believe they can be that good.

vCash
    Dickey for Meyers is a deal that can get done. But what we don't know is the thoughts or direction KC want's to go right now.

In Dickey they will get not only a Cy Young guy with a very unique pitch (that stood up over several season and only gets better). The guys arm can go all 9 innings, he gets K's and W's. All he needs is a few runs and some decent BP help.. he can absolutely win 20 game on his own for the next few years. But they also get a guy who can lead by example, teach, and mentor the younger guys. A guy who can help in the clubhouse and on the field. This goes beyond the excellent pitcher he has become. And all indications are he isn't going to command top dollar.

For KC to give up a promising young OF and hitter - it might be worth it to them, but we don't know the direction they want to go. If they are seriously looking for an ACE at a reasonable price because they think they can win in the next few years... this might be their best option... if they are serious about finding an ACE.

On the other hand if they are looking for an ACE who is young and under control for years and is cheap... well they are going to have to give up more than Meyers (IMO)

vCash
    Please trade us R.A...pretty please? I'm honestly not sure who I'd give up because lets be honest here, like it or not, age is always a factor, knuckleballer or not. I find his value extremely hard to gauge tbh.

Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast