Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 55 of 80 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Did I read that right that they first offered Dickey a 2/14 extension? Are you flippin kidding me? This is just blasphemous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Did I read that right that they first offered Dickey a 2/14 extension? Are you flippin kidding me? This is just blasphemous.
    The Mets would have to be crazy to expect him to sign that.

He wants 3yrs/31 million and the Mets offered him 3yrs/25 million. They aren't that far off.

We will see what happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The Mets would have to be crazy to expect him to sign that.

He wants 3yrs/31 million and the Mets offered him 3yrs/25 million. They aren't that far off.

We will see what happens.
    How in God's name could they have offered Ollie 3/36 and they offer a guy who has had the best pitching season in 22 years and wins the Cy Young even 3/25? Just the fact that they even made that insulting offer of 2/14 is good enough reason to demand a trade right now. They couldn't even offer him 2/24 to start?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    We're spending an awful lot of time discussing a trade package that's been rejected. Lee and Gordon don't do it. Dodgers don't really match up well with us.

I think the best we might do is Lee, Pederson and Federowicz. Is that a deal we should consider?
    thats the only deal i would look at if we were forced, still bad imo and would keep Dickey.

vCash
    How in God's name could they have offered Ollie 3/36 and they offer a guy who has had the best pitching season in 22 years and wins the Cy Young even 3/25? Just the fact that they even made that insulting offer of 2/14 is good enough reason to demand a trade right now. They couldn't even offer him 2/24 to start?
    I think they are concerned with his age like i mentioned previously and i am sure there are financial issues still that are not spoken about.

If Dickey was 32 coming off that type of season they would probably do that deal in a heartbeat but because he is 38, i am sure there is a little apprehension (albeit unnecessarily imo)

You have to remember too, the Mets are still exploring the market for what Dickey is worth trade wise.

Until they get that situated, they will most likely hold off on looking to sign Dickey. If a trade doesn't materialize they will probably push all their effort into re-signing him.

They have the whole winter to do so.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-13-2012 at 02:06 AM.

vCash
    I think the Mets just don't want to lose the chance of getting great prospects for him. I don't think they believe they can win with Dickey so they don't want to miss out on that. If they sign him to an extension, trade talks end

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    I think the Mets just don't want to lose the chance of getting great prospects for him. I don't think they believe they can win with Dickey so they don't want to miss out on that. If they sign him to an extension, trade talks end
    Uh, no.

If they sign him to an extension, he would be under the control of whatever team they trade him too for the length of the extension. On the contrary, any team that trades for him now will then have a gun to their head to sign him or else risk losing those players for a one-year rental.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kyubi256 View Post
    So are they hoping R.A. slips and bumps his head and accepts a garbage offer so the team that they are trading prospects for him for won't get a rental so it will look more appealing? The offers are insulting. Like I said when you offer a 2/14, you might as well just stay tight lipped and not even let that surface because that's a friggin insult. Sandy must realize we ain't in the early 90's anymore.

vCash
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...source=dlvr.it

R.A. Dickey may have angered the Mets, but questionable etiquette isn’t enough to get you traded without a solid return.

A day after Dickey upset team brass by using a holiday party at Citi Field as a forum to voice his displeasure with recent contract negotiations, the two sides remained in limbo yesterday on the knuckleballer’s future.

The industrywide expectation is the Mets will try to resolve the situation by the end of this week. General manager Sandy Alderson hinted at that on Tuesday, when he said he expected clarity on Dickey’s status within a few days.

According to an industry source, the Mets consider four teams as “serious” potential trade partners. What defines “serious” at this point? A willingness to include one top prospect in a deal for Dickey. Nevertheless, the Mets aren’t budging from their position of seeking multiple highly rated prospects in any trade for the Cy Young Award winner, and haven’t yet found a team willing to make such a deal.

The Mets have not spoken to the Rangers since the Winter Meetings, according to sources, but Texas and Toronto remain the most logical destinations if Dickey is traded. The Mets have asked the Rangers for stud prospect Mike Olt as part of a deal for Dickey. The Mets are believed to have asked the Blue Jays for highly regarded catcher Travis d’Arnaud as part of a package.

The latest contract offer the Mets have extended Dickey is for two years and $20 million, beginning in 2014. The 38-year-old knuckleballer is signed for $5 million next season.

”It’s a pretty fair offer,” an AL executive said yesterday. “He’s 38, so how far out there are you going to get? And if I’m going to guarantee him that type of money, I want an option for an additional year.”

Because Dickey is not a free agent, the executive said the Mets’ offer to him shouldn’t be placed in the context of the current market.

The executive predicted that Dickey, who is seeking $26 million beginning in 2014, would lower his price and the two sides would meet somewhere near the middle.

A source with knowledge of the Mets’ negotiations said there is little chance the team would give Dickey a no-trade clause.

“They’ll give [Dickey] dollars, but not the other stuff,” the source said. “Dickey wants this deal so bad, he’ll probably do it.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Uh, no.

If they sign him to an extension, he would be under the control of whatever team they trade him too for the length of the extension. On the contrary, any team that trades for him now will then have a gun to their head to sign him or else risk losing those players for a one-year rental.
    I think you are missing my point. The Mets won't want to deal him once he signs the extension. I am pretty sure an extension would be contingent on him not getting dealt. Why would he sign an extension with the Mets just to have them trade him away? He would have to take a discount to sign an extension, so why do that if you are not even staying with the team?

The Mets don't want to sign him yet because they want to continue exploring the market for him. Once they sign him, they are making it clear that they want him in the future plans. Not as a trade piece

vCash
    So with the option for this year it would be 3yrs/25 million.

He wants 3yrs/31, i am sure they will meet somewhere in the middle.

vCash
    Dickey said what he said the other day because he knows he is as good as gone because Sandy's job is to get the best prospects he can from another club. I really wanted KC to be our trade partner. Maybe we can trade with Tampa Bay, who the hell knows at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    So with the option for this year it would be 3yrs/25 million.

He wants 3yrs/31, i am sure they will meet somewhere in the middle.
    They won't. They're going to be be very stubborn and stick to that offer because they know he won't accept it so it will give them more time to find a team to trade with. And if the prospects don't ever pan out they can say, "Well, we offered him a contract and he didn't accept it. What else could we have done?"

vCash
    Dickey said what he said the other day because he knows he is as good as gone because Sandy's job is to get the best prospects he can from another club. I really wanted KC to be our trade partner. Maybe we can trade with Tampa Bay, who the hell knows at this point.
    I really don't get the impression they are far off negotiation wise despite Dickey's public frustration.

Although the Wilpons are financially inept, 6 million dollars over 3 years is not an excuse to let the guy walk.

They gave Wright his money and i believe unless they can deal Dickey for the right specs they will give him his money as well.

vCash
    They won't. They're going to be be very stubborn and stick to that offer because they know he won't accept it so it will give them more time to find a team to trade with. And if the prospects don't ever pan out they can say, "Well, we offered him a contract and he didn't accept it. What else could we have done?"
    Well we differ there..

I think they get a deal done when they are that close.

If they were 12-15 million apart, i would say Dickey would be gone without question.

Page 55 of 80 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast