Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 80 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JeTsFan4eVeR View Post
    Dickey is a 38 year old pitcher who won the Cy Young for us in 2012. If he was 28 years old, I would feel differently, but the odds of him continuing at his level in 2012 are not good. We have plenty of pitching talent to trade him to the highest bidder. If Olt is being offered, you take him. It would be gross mismanagement by SA to have any different outcome. This is real life, not some fantasy league. We are trying to build for the future and Olt probably has a lot more years of good ball in him than Dickey.
    Dickey is a knuckleballer who has logged far fewer innings than your typical 38-year old veteran. He also lacks an ulner collateral ligament in his pitching elbow which makes him immune from ever needing Tommy John surgery.

In effect, there is no difference between that 28 year old who will be pitching in his prime through age 33 and Dickey who will be pitching in his prime through age 43.

In fact, that hypothetical 28 year old has a far greater chance of having his career derailed -- or at least delayed -- by Tommy John.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    http://metsblog.com/rumors/outfield/...or-r-a-dickey/

Pretty much all scouting reports are saying that Olt is a future .270-275 hitter who can hit 30 homers. He's also a stud defensively at 3B and has the arm/decent speed to be a decent fielding corner OFer.

Seems like an Ike Davis type bat who can fill our outfield holes. I would pull the trigger.
    I believe the player in question was characterized as a superstar. .270-.275 with 30 homers -- projected no less -- hardly qualifies.

We can ague endlessly whether its the right deal. I see merits on both sides. It is not, however, the slam dunk the poster would have us believe.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Well now that Grienke should all be almost signed and delivered by the Dodgers. Get ready for Dickey's time.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Dickey is a knuckleballer who has logged far fewer innings than your typical 38-year old veteran. He also lacks an ulner collateral ligament in his pitching elbow which makes him immune from ever needing Tommy John surgery.

In effect, there is no difference between that 28 year old who will be pitching in his prime through age 33 and Dickey who will be pitching in his prime through age 43.

In fact, that hypothetical 28 year old has a far greater chance of having his career derailed -- or at least delayed -- by Tommy John.
    Bit of a stretch here FOC.

38 year old knees, legs, shoulder, etc.

Too many years at too much $$$$ is still a risk for Dickey.

vCash
    I assume it's the under 30 crowd that believes 38 is old, and the over 40 crowd that believes he is not.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaMetFan View Post
    Does Tex have a decent catcher they
    could package with Olt
    Rather pick up Martin to play CF instead.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I assume it's the under 30 crowd that believes 38 is old, and the over 40 crowd that believes he is not.
    Generalizations for the win, Alex.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    dumb question (not totally familiar with the thread rules around these parts)...but...

How long does this thread have to get before every single Dickey thread stops getting moved into this 33 page and 487 reply thread?

vCash
    1000 posts.
    Final answer.

vCash
    Wrong from my point of view.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Wrong from my point of view.
    The only explanation for me then is that it must be the illogical crowd that believes 38 is old, and the logical crowd that believes he is not.

John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    1000 posts.
    Final answer.
    that's crazy...after about 5 pages, I stop paying attention because I don't want to sort through a bunch of pages to see where I last visited...only reason why I checked this one out was because my post in another Dickey thread got moved...

vCash
    The only explanation for me then is that it must be the illogical crowd that believes 38 is old, and the logical crowd that believes he is not.

I think that "38 is old" also has a lot to do with where the team is at the time...If it's a perennial playoff contender, a 38 year old might be effective in the playoffs for a couple more go-rounds...on a team like the current state of the Mets, 38 is old because he ain't getting to the playoffs within his next contract...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Rather pick up Martin to play CF instead.
    I'd skip Olt altogether and get Martin + Sardinas, a 19-year old middle infielder with plus-plus speed.

vCash
    If we were to get Olt would we move him or Tejada to 2B? And would that make Murphy expendable?
    There are no men like me, only me.

Page 33 of 80 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast