Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Here is Olt's scouting report.

2. Mike Olt, 3b/1b Born: Aug 27, 1988 B-T: R-R Ht.: 6-2 Wt.: 210
    Drafted: Connecticut, 2010 (1st round supplemental). Signed by: Jay Heafner
    Background: The 49th overall pick in the 2010 draft, Olt raced to Texas in little more than two years despite missing half of the 2011 season after breaking his collarbone in a home-plate collision. He led the Double-A Texas League with 28 homers and a .579 slugging percentage in 2012 before being called up in August. Plantar fasciitis in his left foot kept him out of the lineup for most of September.

Scouting Report: With plus raw power and strong hitting approach, Olt is a threat to go deep anytime he steps to the plate. He works deep counts and piles up both walks and strikeouts, so his average will settle in the .260-.270 range. Pitchers have had success exploiting the length in his swing by attacking him with high fastballs, and he continues to work to identify and stay back on breaking balls. Scouts say Olt is a joy to watch defensively, owing to his agility and ability to make throws from any angle. He's a well below-average runner.

The Future: Like Profar, Olt has advanced rapidly thanks to his tools, work ethic and mental toughness. He's blocked in Texas by Adrian Beltre, so a shift to first base or an outfield corner could be in the works. A potential all-star, he could open 2013 in the big league lineup or get a couple of months in Triple-A.

vCash
    He's a well below-average runner? That makes him want him a bit less. But then again, he'll still be better than Duda.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He's a well below-average runner? That makes him want him a bit less. But then again, he'll still be better than Duda.
    That's not saying much.

vCash
    well with mccarthy gone to the dbacks which is great cuz the royals were very interested in him, so still a possibility dickey gets traded there, sure hope grenkie signs soon, and with the dodgers or angels, would love to get olt from the rangers.

vCash
    Grenkie signing with Dodgers and McCarthy to Arizona is the best things that could have happened for the Dickey market.

vCash
    KC still said to be considering Shields, but with their budget constraints, I wonder if Shields $9 million vs. Dickey's $5 million for 2013 would make a difference.

We can only hope that Texas, KC and Toronto all aggressively pursue Dickey and get into a bidding war.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Good bye R.A......:cry:

The writing is on the wall......

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    McCulloughSL Worth keeping in mind re: Dickey. RT @JonHeymanCBS: #rangers may actually go for the hamilton/shields combo now.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi
    Just realized this: #Royals are only AL team to not have winning record at least once in last 6 seasons.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Matt Eddy ‏@eddymk
    I bet Olt would grow to be playable in LF or RF; the competitive makeup & work ethic is part of the attraction.

vCash
    Dont understand the fascination with Olt. He is 24, and played only as high as AA except cup of coffee, and while his stats at Myrtle Beach in 2011 were sweet (MB is hell on hitters) Texas League stats are often inflated. Doesn't he profile as an average Major League player? I'd take him as a throw in but not a centerpiece for RA. Convince me otherwise.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Dont understand the fascination with Olt. He is 24, and played only as high as AA except cup of coffee, and while his stats at Myrtle Beach in 2011 were sweet (MB is hell on hitters) Texas League stats are often inflated. Doesn't he profile as an average Major League player? I'd take him as a throw in but not a centerpiece for RA. Convince me otherwise.
    Texas League had a .715 OPS sugguesting it was not a hitter's league. Olt has legit power, and projects to hit 30 HR a season, but he will K a good amount eating his average. However he's got a good eye as well so he draws walks and keeps his OBP high.

We need his right-handed power bat in our outfield asap.

vCash
    http://baseballprospectnation.com/20...t-mike-olt-3b/

Hit: Very good knowledge of the strike zone and outstanding pitch recognition skills. Aggressive swinger that doesn’t get cheated at the plate. Lots of swing and miss because of aggression in swing. Makes enough contact for average hit tool and for power to play in game situations. Can work into good counts and finds pitches to drive to all fields. Will frequently miss on quality breaking balls but has improved. Would struggle right now but has aptitude and work ethic to project for average hit. Grade – 40/50

Power: Plus-plus bat speed, strength and leverage in swing generate jaw-dropping power at times. Hits enough for power to translate. Can drive ball out to all fields and trusts strength to generate opposite field power. Easy plus raw power with projection for plus-plus an totals approaching 30 per season. Grade (raw power) – 60/70
    He has experience in the OF albeit limited and seems athletic enough according to scouting reports that he could play a corner spot. Has a heck of an arm too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Texas League had a .715 OPS sugguesting it was not a hitter's league. Olt has legit power, and projects to hit 30 HR a season, but he will K a good amount eating his average. However he's got a good eye as well so he draws walks and keeps his OBP high.

We need his right-handed power bat in our outfield asap.
    Perhaps it was a down year for hitting. Historically the TL has been a hitters league -- Southern Division in particular; San Antonio, Midland, etc. El Paso used to be ridiculous, but it's gone now. I don't know about Frisco. It's a newer team, city and ballpark. The Northern Division was always more pitcher friendly with teams in Arkansas and Missouri. That probably balances out the league stats.

His power is the only impact tool and as you point out his ability to make contact is suspect. Also, his floor is his ceiling at this point. Most reports seem to believe he is mostly a finished product and at 24 that makes sense. As others have pointed out - i think - he has more value at 3B where his fielding could be an asset, but...

Yes the Mets need power, but is Dickey worth Ryan Ludwick's bat potentially? Is that a fair expectation offensively? He sounds like a solid player, I want to know Olt + who else? I don't think the need for power should cause people to overvalue the player. That's my concern I guess.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-09-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Look for the Mets to keep RA with no extension. Gotta protect those tix sales.

Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast