Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

3 teams looking to meet with Mets on Dickey-Rubin post #918

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...mets-on-dickey
    The Mets have fielded calls from six or seven teams that want to meet to discuss a trade for R.A. Dickey, which should keep Mets people busy at the Winter Meetings that begin Monday in Nashville, Tenn.

The Mets and Dickey have been trying to work out a contract extension for two months, but it appears general manager Sandy Alderson has the go-ahead now to more seriously consider trade alternatives for the team's ace and 2012 National League Cy Young winner. The Mets reportedly increased their contract offer to Dickey recently, but it appears the trade meetings haven't been canceled to this point.

There have been trade talks starting about a month ago, but they may accelerate now, provided Dickey doesn't lower his demands soon. The Mets will seek a catcher and outfield help in any trade.

The Royals are one team to have shown interest, as was reported in this space a couple days ago. The Jays are a team that could match the Mets, as they have young outfielders (Anthony Gose) and a young catcher that may be expendable (J.P. Arencibia). Mets exec J.P. Riciardi, the former Jays GM, knows their system well. The Pirates, Dodgers, Angels, Rangers and Nationals are among teams in the market for a starting pitcher.

The Royals have a top outfield prospect, Wil Myers, but would prefer to trade a package of even younger prospects in a Dickey deal. While Dickey pitched better than almost anyone in 2012 and is under contract for 2013 at a cheap $5 million, he's 38 and relies on a hard knuckleball, so it's not easy to agree on his value. That could be the issue in salary talks, too.

The Mets and Dickey are believed to be talking about a two-year deal, but there is obviously a difference in the dollars. Dickey's unusual career -- he went from 10-year journeyman to solid starter in short order -- makes it hard to pinpoint his worth.

vCash
    If the Mets were to get Gose and Arencibia from the Jays, they also need to get a pitcher.

vCash
    Let the competition begin. By the end we should be walking out with half a baseball team for Dickey. lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    If the Mets were to get Gose and Arencibia from the Jays, they also need to get a pitcher.
    Gose, JPA and Sean Nolin?

vCash
    The Pirates, Rangers, Blue Jays, and Royals would be the teams i would be looking towards.

Plenty of minor league talent there.

I am really not that high on a deal with the centerpiece being Trumbo.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-01-2012 at 06:48 PM.

vCash
    The only thing I got from this was the insult calling Dickey nothing more than a "solid starter"

And why do the Jays need SP? They already nearly gutted their system to get two top line SPs in Buerhle/Johnson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradHolt4CYoung View Post
    The only thing I got from this was the insult calling Dickey nothing more than a "solid starter"

And why do the Jays need SP? They already nearly gutted their system to get two top line SPs in Buerhle/Johnson.
    Trust me the Jays system is far from gutted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kanersen View Post
    Trust me the Jays system is far from gutted.
    The guy I really wanted was Marsinick and he's gone. Gose is so much worse than he is. I think Gose will be a fringe starting caliber ML OFer.

JPA is just another Rod Barajas but younger.

I would only be interested if they included Syndergaard, maybe they will in they really wanna win in 2013 but I doubt it happens.

vCash
    Marisnick was over-rated. The only tool that evaluators liked him more then Gose was the hit tool, and he hit pretty bad the last year. If Gose doesn't hit a lick, he'd still be a very valuable centerfeilder in the bigs...a far cry from a fringe major league player.

The Jays are stacked. I miss Nicolino much more the Marisnick because I actually believe he has the capability to turn into something that's actually good. Even with that Roberto Osuna has emerged as a phenom and in the eyes of many has already emerged as being more valuable then Nicolino.
    Last edited by kanersen; 12-01-2012 at 07:04 PM.

vCash
    Not going to argue your assessment of JPA though. The guy has his flaws. He's still a cheap cost control starting catcher that can hit some bombs.

vCash
    We need to keep R.A., but if he's traded - it better be for a blue chip, cant miss, hard hitting young outfielder....nothing less. Stop the "package" talk, that usually a group of lesser prospects (remember who we traded for Santana?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kanersen View Post
    Gose, JPA and Sean Nolin?
    I was thinking one of Sanchez or Sindergaard.

vCash
    ^I think that's a little bit too rich. Granted I'm a Blue Jays fan but JPA, Gose and Nolin is in the same caliber of a package as Trumbo + Bourjeois for Dickey + which most of the Mets forum seems to be hoping for, yet one the Angels have yet to or likely will not offer (as far as we know).

Trumbo is not going to repeat this year - i'm pretty sure he doesn't even come close. He's a rich man's JPA with the bat...unfortunately he can't play catcher or else he'd be worth 5 times more then he is now.

Gose is the real deal. Like I said if he offers nothing with the bat he is still a plus center fielder on the cheap for the next 6 years. From what I've seen in his call up he does have the skills to add to that value with the bat.

Sean Nolin has also pitched a remarkably good year and shows good stuff. in 9 out of 10 minor league teams out there this guy would be a top 5 prospect.

vCash
    strange to say Trumbo cant repeat stats from this year as they were very similar to rookie year. He is a true 30 HR and 90 /RBI guy. Will strike out lots and have 250 average though.

vCash

Six or seven teams looking to meet with Mets on Dickey

So what's a fair comparison for Arencibia?

A younger Rod Barajas? The way people talk about the guy that's how he sounds.

I hope he's considerably better if he will be a key cog in trading Dickey. Otherwise, I'd much rather keep Dickey.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast