Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Three Hidden Aces

AdamRubinESPN For ESPN insiders, Dave Cameron ID's three "hidden aces" -- Mike Minor, Tommy Milone and a Met:

James Shields is not your typical No. 1 starter. He was a 16th-round draft pick by the Tampa Bay Rays back in 2000, then never rated as a top prospect as he climbed through the farm system. His fastball sits in the low-90s and he doesn't throw it that often, instead relying mostly on his cutter, curve and changeup. The changeup is excellent, but the rest of his repertoire is somewhat unexciting. Until he started racking up 200-inning seasons in the big leagues, scouts were never that impressed with what Shields had to offer.

Through years of excellent performances, he has changed a lot of minds and has proved that his package of skills can get big league hitters out on a regular basis. Today we'll look at three pitchers who have similar skills and might be able to follow Shields' lead by developing into an unexpected ace.

Jonathon Niese, LHP, New York Mets

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    And since we are talking about Jon:
    Also tricky is that, while the Blue Jays will trade C prospect Travis D’Arnaoud and OF Anthony Gose, Toronto wants Jon Niese (not Dickey) and other parts to make the deal to complete.
    The question is what are the other parts?
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/latest-...or-radickey43/
    Last edited by Claymation; 12-14-2012 at 10:43 AM.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    If it's something like Niese/Mejia or Niese/Familia for D'Arnaoud and Gose do you do it?

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    I might do Niese and Mejia...maybe for 1 more piece because that's 2 people we were planning on putting into the rotation.

vCash
    Mike Minor, Tommy Milone
    What is this guy's definition of an "ace"?

Milone may have pretty good minor league numbers, but for a guy that was in the Nats organization (an organization that loves to promote prospects on the earlier side than most); the guy took a long time to make it to the majors...He spent 3 seasons in top NCAA pitching staff (USC) and in 2 of those seasons was getting hit hard...and then spent an additional 516 innings in the minors before finally gettting a September callup at the end of his 4th minor league season...He sounds more like a Dillion Gee or Walt Terrell type of "innings eater" rotation backfill than an "ace" type of pitcher...

And Mike Minor's numbers don't say much better yet...high ERA, high WHIP, low K:BB ratio...

both should be good middle of the rotation types of pitchers, but "ace" sounds like a reach...kind of like a Joe Blanton ceiling, except they are LHP instead of RHP...
    Last edited by vtmet; 12-14-2012 at 11:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    If it's something like Niese/Mejia or Niese/Familia for D'Arnaoud and Gose do you do it?
    Where do I sign?

vCash
    [QUOTE=clayamtion;24725041]And since we are talking about Jon:
    Also tricky is that, while the Blue Jays will trade C prospect Travis D’Arnaoud and OF Anthony Gose, Toronto wants Jon Niese (not Dickey) and other parts to make the deal to complete.
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/latest-...or-radickey43/[/QUOTE

Is this really out there?

vCash
    Id rather keep Mejia and do Familia. Niese/Familia for d'Arnaud and Gose would be big for us. Though id like to keep Niese, you just covered two big holes both in the field and the lineup.

SA wont do it though, that would require thought

EDIT: d'Arnaud hit 16 homers and 52 RBI's in 67 games last year....yes it was in Vegas but for a catcher
    Last edited by lvlheaded; 12-14-2012 at 11:49 AM.
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    And since we are talking about Jon:

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/latest-...or-radickey43/
    This is the first time I've EVER heard of the Jays trading both d'Arnaud and Gose in a deal for Niese. I'd absolutely hate that trade as a Jays fan....

Thankfully, I read the blog and it's just speculation.... no idea where he got the idea Toronto was willing to trade both players for Niese.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    This is the first time I've EVER heard of the Jays trading both d'Arnaud and Gose in a deal for Niese. I'd absolutely hate that trade as a Jays fan....

Thankfully, I read the blog and it's just speculation.... no idea where he got the idea Toronto was willing to trade both players for Niese.
    Niese "and other parts" for those two. For all we know, those "other parts" could be Zack Wheeler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Niese "and other parts" for those two. For all we know, those "other parts" could be Zack Wheeler.
    I wouldn't be comfortable giving up any more pitching. What if something doesn't work out? We'd be screwed.

vCash
    That deal would be robbery. Wheeler is a better prospect than D'Arnaud and catchers have a short shelf life. Plus he's gotten injured a few times already. Then it comes out to Niese for Gose. LOL no thanks.

Wheeler and Gee for D'Arnaud and Gose I'd probably do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    That deal would be robbery. Wheeler is a better prospect than D'Arnaud and catchers have a short shelf life. Plus he's gotten injured a few times already. Then it comes out to Niese for Gose. LOL no thanks.

Wheeler and Gee for D'Arnaud and Gose I'd probably do.
    Wow... I thought the homers in the Jays forum were bad. Yikes....

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    Wow... I thought the homers in the Jays forum were bad. Yikes....
    Really? Just...really?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry777 View Post
    Really? Just...really?
    You really think Zach Wheeler is a better overall prospect than d'Arnaud? Even though every list you can possibly find has d'Arnaud ranked higher?

Really?

I guess I know what forum I'm in, so I should expect a lot of bias answers.

BTW don't misunderstand me - Zach Wheeler is a fantastic prospect, but d'Arnaud is the best catching prospect in baseball and almost always in people's top 10 overall prospects when they're released.... I don't think it's a stretch to say a very thin position like catcher is more valuable than a starting pitcher. If I was the Jays and were offered Wheeler straight up for d'Arnaud I'd turn it down.
    Last edited by StayOnBoard; 12-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast