Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Camby hazes Cope, and he's not done yet

The Knicks entered the season with an average age of 31.2 -- the oldest in NBA history. Even their youngest rookie, Chris Copeland, is 28 years old.

But in Marcus Camby's eyes, Copeland is still a rookie.

This season, the backup center has been in charge of Copeland's rookie hazing. If you catch the young fella in the locker room before games, where he usually is watching film of the opponent, you'll see Camby's biggest influence.

Copeland has to bring a Disney Princess bright-pink backpack to every game. Camby said one of his daughters -- he has two, Maya and Milan -- actually thought it was for her when he bought it.

"She's like, 'Oh daddy, you bought me a new bookbag!'" said Camby, who did the same thing to Blake Griffin when he was a rookie in 2008 with the Clippers. "And I was like, 'Nah, that's for a guy on our team.' And she was like, 'But he's a boy.' And I was like, 'I know. He has to wear this bookbag.'"

At first, Copeland was embarrassed carrying the accessory, but he's now comfortable with it -- well, at least for the time being.

"I have a good time with it, honestly," he said. "It took me so long to get here (to the NBA). I'm having fun with the whole process, even if it's at my expense. Everybody has a good time with it, but I can't wait to get rid of it."

Copeland said he had never been hazed in his previous five years playing in the D-League, Belgium, Germany, Holland and Spain. He said it's more of an American tradition, which is why the team hasn't hazed rookie point guard Pablo Prigioni, a 35-year-old from Argentina.

"It's a different culture," Copeland said. "I've taken part in some hazing, but I never got hazed. ... In the D-League [in 2006-07], I was a rookie, and they had me get some towels or something a couple times."

Fortunately for Copeland, Camby has gone light on the small forward, like also having him wear a tuxedo once to a home game with sneakers.

"I've heard a lot of stories," Copeland said. "I won't say names, but they tell me stories of some of the stuff they had to go through. Like one guy had to wake up at six in the morning and go find like some Turkish coffee, for example."

However, Copeland knows it's a long season.

"I'm sure there's a lot more things to come," he said, laughing.

You better believe it. Hear it from Camby first.

"I'm looking into this costume he has to wear on that flight from New York to L.A. for Christmas," he said, speaking softly in the locker room before the Nets game on Tuesday, so Copeland couldn't hear about five seats away. "I'll take pictures and tweet it out. I gave him an option. I said, 'Do you want to be a bumblebee or a lady bug?' He chose bumblebee, so I'm going with the lady bug (laughs)."

Camby was never hazed because he was on the expansion Raptors team in 1996, but he's sure having fun with the process now as a veteran.

"Everybody was new in Toronto, so I lucked out," he said, laughing.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...s-not-done-yet
    Video of Carmelo Anthony first time in the Barclays center http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZIIQmQ2qRA

Quote Originally Posted by oballers View Post
    the only statistic I will care about is how many W's we have and how much fun it was watching us get those Ws.

If you don't understand what I mean see the formula below:

((Amount of Joy)* Playoff Wins * # of Championships/ Number of times cheered) * # of beers drunk / % of trash talking

vCash
    lmao Good stuff.

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    So can Copes new nickname be ladybug?

R.I.P. Dad

vCash
    Camby taking his lack of PT frustrations out on the rook.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Brilliant

England's Number 1 Knick

vCash
    ive been deeply deeply hurt all day ...it is now 2 am..and i cant sleep thinking of the shooting and those poor kids and teachers ....this was what i needed ..i haven't smiled or laughed all day ...i wana thank you for this thread..it really made me laugh and picked my spirits up...thank you sooo much again...

vCash
    You wanna be a bubble bee or lady bug?
    Bubble bee of course
    Lady bug it is lol

vCash
    What is going on with Camby health wise? I will never forget how great he was versus Indiana in 1999. I remember Larry bird was asked a question about the Davis boys during that serious and instead Larry gave props to Camby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    What is going on with Camby health wise? I will never forget how great he was versus Indiana in 1999. I remember Larry bird was asked a question about the Davis boys during that serious and instead Larry gave props to Camby.
    Conditioning was the first excuse. Now he is out with a foot injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$JerZ View Post
    Conditioning was the first excuse. Now he is out with a foot injury.
    When you say excuse are you implying you feel there are other things (coach, practice) stopping him from playing?

vCash
    I would feel creeped out if some old end of the bench player took time out to haze me and nobody else did.

vCash
    That is pretty mild stuff. I don't get in to the head shaving and stuff like that but in this situation I would have just thanked him for the free bag.