Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    This seems to be more recent and has him throwing harder. That video you posted was uploaded in 2006.
    Impressive control. Catcher doesn't have to move his glove often.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    Jason Grilli could be next.
    Fact Grilli's agent is Gary Sheffield. If we can get Adams or him then that good. Also like the Fujikawa signing.
    The Best Wrestler in the World.... Go Cubs!!!

vCash
    From the comment section at Cubs Den, TokyoCraig:

Very excited about this move. Not only for the stronger bullpen and trade value it creates, but also (selfishly) now the Japanese sports press will follow the Cubs more!

A little worried that Fujikawa likes to try to blow his fastball by everyone, which won't translate as well against Major League hitters, but he also has a great splitter/fork. And a good nasty streak. We were at a game a few years ago and he got mad at a batter for calling time too much and at the last second. Continued with his delivery and threw it intentionally to the backstop!

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    This seems to be more recent and has him throwing harder. That video you posted was uploaded in 2006. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvoBiJXaYk
    Nasty splitter. If he can mix his pitches I think he'll be fine.

vCash
    I like the move, splitter is probably my favorite pitch in baseball.

vCash
    Regardless of how good/bad this guy will be, its hopefully gonna help move Marmol out of town, which is a win. Dont mind this deal, if he stinks he will be gone shortly, and his money wont affect the team too much when theyre ready to compete in a couple years. If hes good, its a good contract value and a stop gap while they look to fill the closer spot longterm.

vCash
    ^This.
    Down in this vagina mine.

vCash
    I personally don't understand why fans don't think we should spend money on the bullpen when we are rebuilding. It would be different if we had a bunch of young arms ready to pitch in the bullpen, but we don't.

When you have the kind of money we have... why not spend some money and fix a huge hole in the pen? Then we can trade some of those guys, or keep them if we feel like they fit long term.

If Theo could overhaul the pen this offseason, it would go a long way in getting us back to respectable.

vCash
    Actually the Cubs have a lot of interesting young arms in AAA that could be great bullpen options, like Vizcaino and McNutt, among others.

OOTP TKO League Milwaukee Brewers 2010-2032:
    2011-1655, .549 Win %
    10 NL Central Titles, 2 Wild Card 12 Total Playoff Appearances
    1 World Series Title (2021)

Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.

-Malcolm Reynolds

vCash
    I love the signing. i think he'll be great in the beginning like Fukudome. Now lets hope that the second and possibly third year of his contract arent as bad as Kosuke's were. Bullpen was our biggest problem, so locking down a closer is great. Im not too excited that Bowden is stretching out to become a starter. We need bullpen arms more, but i guess we'll take any pitching we can get

vCash
    Kosuke actually wasn't "bad" till around the cleveland trade. He just didn't hit for the average he was expected to when he came over. It'd be like saying Fujikawa is a bust if his ERA is past 2.
    Down in this vagina mine.

vCash
    Jeremy Affeldt got 3/18 to be 7th-8th inning guy. The Cubs got a potential closer for 2/9.5. But yeah, terrible deal.

vCash
    So...sorry if this was already talked about.. But what's the point in signing a 32 year old closer when we are years from competing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    Impressive control. Catcher doesn't have to move his glove often.
    Yeah he seems to be a good control pitcher. If our FO likes him, then I do too. Curious though some of his pitches almost look like they are floating. I'm no expert so I can't quite get a handle on that, is it just flat, is it rising? Is it a "gyro" ball? Yes I am dumb about this stuff, what kind of pitch repertoire does he have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1fe5 View Post
    Actually the Cubs have a lot of interesting young arms in AAA that could be great bullpen options, like Vizcaino and McNutt, among others.
    Yeah I know we have alot of nice variety of types of pitchers too. Control picthers, guys with lots of heat, LH, RH. I like that in a bullpen. And as far as building the pen before you are ready, I agree you add whatever good players you can every offseason and before you know it you just happen to have alot of good players on your team. Trade for assets or use for wins, can't hurt either way.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast