Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How good of a team is this?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Realistic, Long and Short Term Contender

7 50.00%
  • Realistic, Long Term Contender

1 7.14%
  • Realistic, Short Term Contender

0 0%
  • Realistic, Not a Contender

1 7.14%
  • Not Realistic

5 35.71%
    vCash

CPorter07's Cubs Mock Offseason

Remember, these are not based on what you think what will happen or whether or not the players want to come to Chicago. Vote based on whether the deals and trades are realistic and whether the team is a contender or not.

I'm piggy backing off of the moves already made by this front office (Feldman, Baker, Navarro signings)

Trade: Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez, Marco Hernandez, Dillon Maples, Tony Zych, Matt Szczur, Josh Vitters & Darwin Barney to the Marlins for Giancarlo Stanton, Logan Morrison & Yunel Escobar

8 for 3 deals are rare to be certain, however this is one that both organization would be hard pressed not to seriously consider (Not to mention the Marlins were just apart of a 12 player mega deal…they do exsist). Obviously, Stanton is the prize here however Escobar is a very solid return piece as well. 'Unloading' Morrison is apparently a must for this band of misfits (Loria/Sampson) & would just so happen to be almost a must in return for Rizzo being in the deal (Morrison is a 1B, no one can convince me otherwise)

The payment is steep. Rizzo, Baez & Barney are all high (trade) value guys with Hernandez, Maples, Szczur & to some extent Zych all being 'high ceiling' prospects with varying degrees of 'risk' (although as prospects, aren't they all risky?) Marlins completely overhaul their farm/MLB roster(s) & likely win another WS title prior to us (they seem to do it after every blow up) Easy to project how this deal is a win of the Marlins- upgrading significantly at 1B & 2B immediately while also netting a south Florida legend Baez.

All that said, IMHO the Cubs actually get away with losing very little that isn't replaceable within the next few offseasons prospect wise.

Trade Matt Garza to Boston for Matt Barnes, Anthony Ranaudo, Brandon Workman and Ryan Sweeney
    This trade is based off of Garza having clean medicals. His track record of success in the AL East and the familiarity that the Red Sox have with him because of it would play a huge factor into them pulling the trigger prior to him taking the bump after the ‘injury’. Is it a fantastic return? Nah, but realistically it’s tough to imagine the Cubs getting one with all the variables involved (injury, contract year/impending free agency, etc.) Barnes becomes the best rotational arm in the system above A ball while Workman is an easily projectable Joe Blanton type 4/5 (which has solid value) Ranaudo is the ultimate lotto card and the type of extremely high ceiling guy that the Cubs brass would like to get back in a Garza deal. Ranaudo has soured enough in Bostons eyes that they likely would add him to such a deal even with his TORP high end appeal (although he could just as easily become Mark Pawelek as well) Sweeney give the team a solid 4/5 OF that can play all 3 postions.

Trade Alfonso Soriano, Junior Lake & cash to the Yankees for Joba Chamberlain, Zachary Nuding, Nik Turley and Austin Romane
    I realize it’s kinda generic to say ‘Soriano to Yanks in a deal involving Joba’ but it is was it is. Lake is a prospect I’m not crazy about personally, however the Yanks lack any depth behind Cano, Jeter & ARod & Lake is close enough to possibily start to take the burden away from the trio a bit. Soriano’s resurgence as an acceptable starting LF fills a gap for the Yanks as Gardner is still feeling the effects of his injury. For the Cubs, pitching, pitching & more pitching is the need and what they get here. Joba could potentially handle a rotation spot, but likely he slides into the back end of the bullpen.

Trade Carlos Marmol & Logan Watkins to the Angels for Alberto Callaspo
    Callaspo is a 3B for the Angels but I believe he’ll profile much better as a 2B. He’s a solid, no holes type 2B that this organization has become accustomed to having (Morandini, Young, Walker, Barney etc.) Marmol is an obvious interest to the Angels while Watkins is the type of versatile MI type the Angels love.

(My only change from the post I made)
    Sign Placido Polanco to a 1 year vet minimum deal
    Polanco is as old as dirt, however that doesn't mean he can't still help a team as a plus defender at 3B/2B and occasionally put a good ball in play.

Sign Nick Swisher to a 3 year 50M deal with a mutual option at 14M for year 4
    It’s an overpay, but the hike up in AYV is to negate a fourth year being automatically included. Swisher plays a solid corner OF and offers an above average bat and in the scenario he also offers an above average solution at 1B if LoMo faulters.

Sign Zack Greinke to a 6 year 146M deal
    Want a TORP? Gunna cost ya 21-25M per. No way around it. Luckily for us, money is one asset this organization has in bundles.

C- Castillo, Navarro
    1B- *Morrison (Swisher)
    2B- Callaspo, Polanco
    SS- Castro
    3B- Escobar,* Valbuena
    LF- Swisher, Sappelt
    CF- *DeJesus,* Sweeney
    RF- Stanton

Lineup:
    (s)Callaspo- 2B
    *DeJesus-CF
    Castro-SS
    Stanton-RF
    (s)Swisher-LF
    Escobar-3B
    Morrison-1B
    Castillo-C
    Pitcher

Rotation:
    SP- Greinke
    SP- Samardzija
    SP- Baker
    SP- Feldman
    SP- *T. Wood

CL- Vizcaino
    SU-Chamberlain
    MR-*Russell
    MR-Bowden
    MR-*Beliveau
    MR-Camp
    MR-Cabrera
    Last edited by Ron!n; 12-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    I really hate the Marlins trade... I just think Baez + Rizzo is a steep price to pay for anyone, especially when LoMo and Escobar are the other two pieces, both meh imo. Not unbelievable, just not a fan of it.
    The Future...
    Is Bright!!

vCash
    This one had me at hello though the bullpen is shallow.

vCash
    don't think there is any way that boston trade happens
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    I think I like this one the most. Its a bold move trading Rizzo, but its a solid team.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Bullpen is kinda weak. That's my only real issue and those are unpredictable. I still think Morrison has upside. Assuming escobar wouldn't complain about being at third I can dig it. The Garza trade is interesting. Id like Jackie Bradley back in the deal personally but I still like your trade. I like this one. Short and long term contender for me

vCash
    Best one so far. Need some a couple more power arms in the back of the bullpen though.

vCash
    Me: Sign Zack Greinke to a 6 year 146M deal
    Ned Colletti: Sign Zack Greinke to a 6 year 147M deal

Like the 'one dollar more than highest bid' jerks on Prices Right. Damn you Colletti.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Best one so far. Need some a couple more power arms in the back of the bullpen though.
    Agreed
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter07 View Post
    Me: Sign Zack Greinke to a 6 year 146M deal
    Ned Colletti: Sign Zack Greinke to a 6 year 147M deal

Like the 'one dollar more than highest bid' jerks on Prices Right. Damn you Colletti.
    I went to a taping of the Price is Right once, and if I got into the Row my plan was to look at the person who comes up after me and tell them "You're my (w)itch. I'm going to bid $1 more than you every time, just to make sure you don't win, even if it means I don't win. Just because I can."

OK, probably not, but it would be funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    I went to a taping of the Price is Right once, and if I got into the Row my plan was to look at the person who comes up after me and tell them "You're my (w)itch. I'm going to bid $1 more than you every time, just to make sure you don't win, even if it means I don't win. Just because I can."

OK, probably not, but it would be funny.
    That would be awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_JOmfmM9s

vCash
    you gotta go up there like barney stinson
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    I see two very unrealistic trades here: the Yankees trade and the Red Sox trade. I like where this is headed, though.