Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Knight playe his 82nd game last nite...

I know we all want him to stop turning the ball over so much but for this to be only his 82nd game his numbers are in the same company as elite pgs of the nba.

article link:http://www.freep.com/article/2012120.../1051/sports03

MEMPHIS -- The next time you yell at the TV after a Brandon Knight turnover, remember that the team's 40-point victory Wednesday night over the Suns was just the 82nd game of Knight's career.

The NBA lockout robbed Knight of a full complement of games his rookie season. But at the 82-game benchmark, Knight compiled averages of 32 minutes, 42% shooting, 39.4% three-point shooting, 4.2 assists, 12.9 points and 3.2 rebounds.

Those definitely are numbers a team will take from a player who turns 21 on Sunday.

The numbers compare favorably to the first-year numbers of standout point guards like Jrue Holiday, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams, Mike Conley (Friday night's opponent) and Tony Parker.

It's not an exact comparison considering variables like situations and playing time, but Knight has started with a nice foundation for his career. Knight realizes this but admits to impatience.

"I'm the type of guy with the type of work that I put in, I want to see results right away, but, yeah, you got to remind yourself that it's just my first 82 games," Knight said Friday at the FedEx Forum before the Pistons lost to the Grizzlies, 90-78. He scored 10 points against one of the league's best teams.

"But for me, especially with this team, I'm like a veteran. That's what I try to think about it as. That's the type of game I want to play even though it's still early in my career."

COACH'S CORNER: Pistons coach Lawrence Frank was asked about Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's decision to send four of his main players home instead of letting them suit up against the Heat on Thursday night.

Frank avoided comment on Popovich's actions with NBA commissioner David Stern promising "substantial sanctions" -- the team was fined $250,000 Friday evening -- but he did note how the Spurs almost won at Miami without Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan.

"It wasn't a situation where they were conceding the game; they were trying to win the game, and those guys felt they could and they should have won the game," Frank said.

Contact Vince Ellis: 313-222-6479 or vellis@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @vincent_ellis56.
    More Details: Tonight: Mavericks

Matchup: Pistons (5-12) at Dallas (7-9).
    Last edited by mike 810; 12-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    have some patience with the kid and he will eventually figure it out.He has all the talent hes just his own worst enemy out there sometimes trying to overthink everything and play too fast.

vCash
    Are you speaking Chinese?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Are you speaking Chinese?
    No he's not, trust me, I know...lol.

#ERMAHGERD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GunFactor007 View Post
    No he's not, trust me, I know...lol.
    What about Mandarin?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    What about Mandarin?
    Might be a dialect of Mandarin.

#ERMAHGERD

vCash
    why?

vCash
    Yeah, you just have to wait on him. From the limited game action I saw he looked pretty good. Granted it was VERY limited.

vCash
    what do you mean its only 82 games? Ya, we were saying the same crap w/ stuckey. For a point guard, you either have it or you don't. You don't learn it.

I have not seen anything from Knight that will make me think he will be a good point guard in this league. He is an undersized 2 guard

vCash
    So even if his numbers are better then billups first 2yrs huh??? Stuckey is a different story lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24:24537786
    what do you mean its only 82 games? Ya, we were saying the same crap w/ stuckey. For a point guard, you either have it or you don't. You don't learn it.

I have not seen anything from Knight that will make me think he will be a good point guard in this league. He is an undersized 2 guard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 810 View Post
    So even if his numbers are better then billups first 2yrs huh??? Stuckey is a different story lol...
    lol wtf? Are you asking me a question? Or was it another auto correct error?

Lemme ask you how do you think Knight would do playing on deiff teams in diff systems 5 times in 7 years? Really? You are the dude who only looks at stats, when chauncy was in the game our game just flowed. He knew how to run the team, he knew how to find players so the make the right play in the situation they were in. Knight doesn't and you can't learn that.

To prove my point, stuckey averaged more assists his first time starting then when chauncy started, but yet w/ chauncy in his last year w/ us our team was top 10 in assists in the league .... right when stuckey took over the next year (averaging more assists) we were 2nd to last in assists in the league. Explain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24 View Post

Lemme ask you how do you think Knight would do playing on deiff teams in diff systems 5 times in 7 years? Really? You are the dude who only looks at stats, when chauncy was in the game our game just flowed. He knew how to run the team, he knew how to find players so the make the right play in the situation they were in. Knight doesn't and you can't learn that.

To prove my point, stuckey averaged more assists his first time starting then when chauncy started, but yet w/ chauncy in his last year w/ us our team was top 10 in assists in the league .... right when stuckey took over the next year (averaging more assists) we were 2nd to last in assists in the league. Explain
    Billups had been in the league for 6 seasons when he came to the Pistons, he did learn how to become a better PG. Knight can too, remember that he is only 21 yrs old, has been running the point since day one(for the most part).
    Give him another season, then you can start the Knight bashing, ala Stuckey.

All I am saying is that it's like when people compared Bynum or Howard's rookie numbers with what Drummond could end up with, kind of a shot in the dark at this point.

vCash
    People seem to be forgetting how young Knight is still,not every PG comes in like Irving,Paul,etc.Theres a whole other class of really good young PGs in the league right now that needed 3 to 4 years to really understand the tempo of the game.Knight is falling right into category 2 hes on pace with guys like Lawson,Holiday,Teague.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RipCity32 View Post
    People seem to be forgetting how young Knight is still,not every PG comes in like Irving,Paul,etc.Theres a whole other class of really good young PGs in the league right now that needed 3 to 4 years to really understand the tempo of the game.Knight is falling right into category 2 hes on pace with guys like Lawson,Holiday,Teague.
    I agree, I thought of those players, J Jack as well. I would be happy with a player that rivals Billups or Lawson after next season(would like a superstar,).

vCash
    Lol its whatever u used to spell LEMME<<< Is that even a word???
    Quote Originally Posted by shyfly24:24539703
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 810 View Post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast