Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Replacing/Upgrading laptop HDD

My HDD has been clicking and causing crashes. What do I need to know to make sure the new HDD will be compatible?

This is the laptop I have - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...ct=3983139#N24

This is the HDD I'm looking at - http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=25350AC3356

Will that work?

Thanks

vCash
    It looks like it should. The biggest thing you will need to do is make sure that you can put your OS onto the new HD. Because if you put the HD into the new machine without an OS, then it won't do you any good.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    If you're gona upgrade go 1TB, going from 320 GB to 500 doesn't make a ton of sense to be honest. If you're going to do this make it worth your while

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    If you're gona upgrade go 1TB, going from 320 GB to 500 doesn't make a ton of sense to be honest. If you're going to do this make it worth your while
    Well price could be an issue, plus its doesn't appear to be so much of an upgrade as a replacement. Besides, if he isn't going to use that storage, then I think that 500GB is fine.

vCash
    As DB guessed price is an issue. This isn't a great laptop so just looking to extend its life 1-2 years before buying a new one

vCash
    I'd go 7200 rpm or SSD, but that's just me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    As DB guessed price is an issue. This isn't a great laptop so just looking to extend its life 1-2 years before buying a new one
    I think 500GB is the smallest they will sell without getting it used or special order. I recently placed an order for work for an external hard drive from CDW and they discontinued that size HD.

Just make sure that you can transfer the license for your OS to the new HD. I don't know if that is something you can do or you might have to get Staples or someone else to transfer it over. Look up instructions on how to transfer it to a new HD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I think 500GB is the smallest they will sell without getting it used or special order. I recently placed an order for work for an external hard drive from CDW and they discontinued that size HD.

Just make sure that you can transfer the license for your OS to the new HD. I don't know if that is something you can do or you might have to get Staples or someone else to transfer it over. Look up instructions on how to transfer it to a new HD.
    If you cant do this you cant always torrent cracked versions of windows via pirate bay

No reason to pay for someone to transfer something over you can do yourself for free.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post

My OS won't transfer with my back-up recovery discs?

If you cant do this you cant always torrent cracked versions of windows via pirate bay

No reason to pay for someone to transfer something over you can do yourself for free.
    Definitely an option haha

vCash
    My OS won't transfer with my back-up recovery discs?

Definitely an option haha
    I don't know how the licensing works. Since it is active on one HD, it may not transfer over. That isn't to say it won't but I don't know.

vCash
    Get a SSD

vCash
    Did you get a blue screen when your computer crashed? Cause I just got that like a week ago. Might be a HDD problem too.
    Philadelphia Phillies
    Philadelphia Eagles
    Philadelphia Sixers
    Philadelphia Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadStBullies View Post
    Did you get a blue screen when your computer crashed? Cause I just got that like a week ago. Might be a HDD problem too.
    Mines actually still running...no clue how...but it freezes(and I hear the HDD clicking) and then crashes 1-2 times a day.

Will the OS not transfer with the recovery disc I made?

vCash
    Mines actually still running...no clue how...but it freezes(and I hear the HDD clicking) and then crashes 1-2 times a day.

Will the OS not transfer with the recovery disc I made?
    The HD clicks are a separate issue from a BSOD. The click is a physical problem whereas the BSOD is likely a software issue or another physical issue. The BSOD usually just results from the computer reading a 1 when it knows it should have read a 0 or vice versa. In order to prevent further loss it says "stop, hammertime". There is a feature on most computers to tell it not to restart after a hardware failure in order to recover data.

But it sounds like it is quite intermittent so that shouldn't be an issue.

I can't find a definitive answer whether you can move the OS to a new machine but I think you can. Since its the same model computer, I see no reason to believe it won't but can't guarantee anything.

vCash
    Download a cracked version of windows and burn it to a DVDR before you try. That way you have your backup if need be.

All you need is a program called poweriso to burn it to the disk.

You dont want to have to re-buy windows when you own it in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast