Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    We are talking baseball not xenophobia. Top 50

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jensan View Post
    Xenophobia has nothing to do with anything anyone suggested in this thread, but OK. Anyways, if you'll read carefully his birthplace nor his current team had nothing to do with me saying he's in the top 30 trade value-wise. We're talking about a 22 year old with a league average-ish 273/.324/.405 line in the bigs playing outstanding defense at a premium position. That's a player with MVP type upside and a tremendously valuable asset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jensan View Post
    Haha what? Although I disagree with a lot of this added value that people attribute to Lawrie because of his passport, that's pretty much the exact opposite of xenophobia.

vCash
    you right overly nationalistic, americans are basically xenophobic

vCash
    I don't think we are looking to deal Niese as much as the media thinks, and IF we dealt him, we wouldn't settle for a package centered around your expendable catcher.

I think a package of JPA, Gose, and Nolin for Dickey(who is the better pitcher) seems fair. Gose would give us much needed speed and defense with the youth to improve, JPA would slot in at catcher right away, and Nolin could come up later in the year or next.

A rotation of Dickey, JJ, Morrow, Buerhle, Romero is a great one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I don't think we are looking to deal Niese as much as the media thinks, and IF we dealt him, we wouldn't settle for a package centered around your expendable catcher.

I think a package of JPA, Gose, and Nolin for Dickey(who is the better pitcher) seems fair. Gose would give us much needed speed and defense with the youth to improve, JPA would slot in at catcher right away, and Nolin could come up later in the year or next.

If you replaced Gose's name with Rasmus, I'd be more inclined to believe it. As it stands, I believe the Blue Jays front office is planning on transitioning Gose and D'Arnaud in for Rasmus and Arencibia respectively.

I know it's somewhat irrelevant to the discussion, but Gose and D'Arnaud are two thirds of the haul from the Halladay trade a few years ago, and I think they'd like to see that through unless they're blown away.

I don't think Dickey would be that monumental deal that blows them away. As good as he's been the past few years, especially 2012, the harsh reality is that he's entering his age 38 season. Despite being a knuckleballer with longevity, 38 is still old for any big leaguer.

vCash

Yeah i would do that if i were you guys also...
    Do The Twirk

vCash

If Dickey is the better pitcher why would you want to get rid of him instead of the inferior Niese??? Because you don't want Dickey either?????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnall View Post
    If Dickey is the better pitcher why would you want to get rid of him instead of the inferior Niese??? Because you don't want Dickey either?????
    He's too old and he might not resign. Niese is on a team friendly deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozan10 View Post
    Brett Lawrie is probably one of the top 5 most untouchable players in baseball right now.
    Maybe within the jays but Definetly not baseball. I can probably think of atleast one player on every team I'd rather have than Lawrie.

He's top 5 in the blue jays maybe. If David Price was comming I would trade Lawrie in a heart beat. His Canadian passport overrates him amongst jays fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    Maybe within the jays but Definetly not baseball. I can probably think of atleast one player on every team I'd rather have than Lawrie.
    I think you're going from one extreme opinion to another. Lawrie's value is not directly tied to past performance. It's primarily tied to potential and age, not dissimilar to Bryce Harper in that regard (not that I'm suggesting their potential is equal).

Lawrie is probably top 20 in baseball in value, just looking at it in terms of an asset. If there was a redraft in baseball, and all current players regardless of age were put in it, Lawrie would likely go top 20. Similarly, players like Mike Trout, Stephen Strasburg, Buster Posey, Bryce Harper and Jurickson Profar would also be in that group.

Grantland's Jonah Keri recently wrote an article that is similar to this discussion, where he placed Lawrie @ #21.

Here's his comments about where he placed Lawrie (coming in just behind Jurickson Profar [18], Manny Machado [19] and Dylan Bundy [20])...

Lawrie's a similar case, though not an identical one. He's played a full year in the big leagues, and been merely good rather than great, hitting .273/.324/.405 and playing very good defense (a knock against him coming up as a prospect without an obvious position). Funny thing about prospects: When they're in the minors, or rip off a quick 16-for-31 to start their major league career, the sky's the limit. But barring a Trout-like rookie season, cooler heads prevail and actual talent evaluation wins out. Lawrie is still an excellent prospect, someone with the skill set and youth (he's 22 and more than holding his own in the majors) to become a fringe MVP candidate one day. Still, if he'd run for prime minister a year ago, he might've won. Now, we're talking governor general at best.
    Last edited by mtf; 12-01-2012 at 11:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post

He's top 5 in the blue jays maybe. If David Price was comming I would trade Lawrie in a heart beat. His Canadian passport overrates him amongst jays fans.
    Houston Astros, GO.

vCash
    JPA and Nolin for Niese would make really no sense whatsover for the Mets. Everything I've read has said the Mets want something a little short of what Latos and Gio were traded for last off-season, and both of those guys went for massive hauls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    Houston Astros, GO.
    Lol

vCash
    I wonder if someone can help me understand as to why we NEED to trade a catcher? I know JPA only has value at catcher but personally I think we should hold on to both d'arnaud and JP and split the catching and DH duties until we know exactly what both can do at the major league level. I actually think both have all-star potential (JP mostly because of his HR power and great numbers with RISP) and would HATE to end up trading the wrong one. The Jays have plenty of other pieces that can be used to get a quality starter and having 3 catchers on the roster is never a bad thing.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast