Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 208
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,988
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    you mean the guy who easily would be the 2nd best hitter on the free agent market? no i think he would have gotten more money had he not signed.
    Tori Hunter, Nick Swisher, and Josh Hamilton all hit better than him last year.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The doghouse (wife won't let me in)
    Posts
    1,320
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scully in 2012 View Post
    Just saying we want him. We know it isn't likely but we can dream.
    Might as well dream realitically though. I'm not being anti-dodger fan, but it's pretty obvious there haven't been very many realistic trade proposals in here.

    It's mostly "Hey here's a bunch of good (while conviently withholding my favorite team's best prospects) prospects who don't necessarily match up with the Rays needs + the always mystical 'cash'" types of proposals....from everyone.


    True. I offered 5 of our top 6 prospects and a partially paid for Ethier.. That's about as realistic a I can be.

    It's not great but that's all we have.


    A Real American HERO !!!





    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Dodgers rule.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,000
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersfan View Post
    Uh, Andrus is only under contract for 2 more years.



    Uh, Holland is only 26, pitched a gem during the '11 WS, is under control for at least another 4 seasons on a reasonable contract, and tied for 12th in highest average fastball velocity among starters last year - 5th among LH-starters behind only Price, Moore, Kershaw, and G. Gonzalez. But yeah, a young hard-throwing LH-starter with playoff experience is valueless "crap" .

    Here's a thought: how about getting your facts straight before you say something?
    Holland spends way too much time trying to be a clown to ever be the guy that people make him out to be. At best he could be a solid number 2 but when you can get a guy like Price you have to throw him under the bus. 2 more years under contract in a professional sport is a long time in my book. I really would prefer to keep Profar and Holland but you have to get priorities straight sometimes our main weakness the past few seasons has definitely been pitching and aging offense. In my opinion we shouldn't have signed Ian Kinsler to the contract we did this off season, we could have used that money somewhere else and give Profar second or SS and move Andrus over. Kinsler is so streaky and Andrus looks like he's going to be the real deal for awhile.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,291
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Tori Hunter, Nick Swisher, and Josh Hamilton all hit better than him last year.
    first of all I said the second best hitter, I guess you missed that part, and it should go without saying that Hamilton is a better hitter, however it clearly didn't go without saying so I have to say it now. Hamilton is the top hitter on the market.

    Swisher and Hunter had very similar years to Ethier at the plate, but if Andre was on the open market he would get the most lucrative deal of the 3

    Ethier .284/.351/.460 20 HR, .812ops, 123 ops+ .350 wOBA

    Hunter .315/.365/.451 16HR .816ops, 132ops+, .356 wOBA

    Swisher .272/.362/.473 24HR .837ops 126ops+ .363 wOBA
    (played in a park that rewards lefties)

    the difference between these 3 is the age, Ethier is the youngest of the bunch at 30, swisher is 32 and torri is 37 and if he were on the open market would most likely get the most lucrative deal of the 3.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,291
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Yup


    Not that it makes any sense.

    But if the Cardinals wanted Price for example.

    We would probably have to trade Shelby Miller, Oscar Taveras, and still add in someone like Lance Lynn/Trevor Rosenthall, and maybe even Matt Adams.

    That's two top 20 prospects in all of baseball, and two more near top 100 (but they have since lost their prospect status') prospects.

    I don't know that the Rays do that, and I don't think the Cardinals would do that.


    Realistic trade scenarios just are not something we seem to be seeing around here lately.

    Again, I'm not endorsing that above trade. But I think that's something the Rays would want for Price. Two top 20's that are close to MLB ready, and two more cost controlled, and MLB ready guys that should at least be league average in the big leagues.

    Price is a top 5 pitcher in the game, with three years of cost control. He is highly valuable.

    The fact that we have repeatedly seen Andre Ethier in trade proposals proves that. Fans are completely ignoring the Rays needs/wants for someone they do not have to trade.
    I don't think the rays do that because it doesn't solve their needs, they aren't considering trading pitchers because they don't have enough, they are like 8 deep, and everyone you mentioned is a pitcher. They have an offense that is totally dependent on one hitter who has missed significant time the last 2 years, and plays a physicaly demanding position, on top of that they have next to no impact bats close to the major leagues.

    You said the cards might have to throw in Matt Adams, i say the conversation starts with him and colten wong, i mean sure they would have to package a pitcher, because no one trades good pitching without getting pitching back.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,988
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    first of all I said the second best hitter, I guess you missed that part, and it should go without saying that Hamilton is a better hitter, however it clearly didn't go without saying so I have to say it now. Hamilton is the top hitter on the market.

    Swisher and Hunter had very similar years to Ethier at the plate, but if Andre was on the open market he would get the most lucrative deal of the 3

    Ethier .284/.351/.460 20 HR, .812ops, 123 ops+ .350 wOBA

    Hunter .315/.365/.451 16HR .816ops, 132ops+, .356 wOBA

    Swisher .272/.362/.473 24HR .837ops 126ops+ .363 wOBA
    (played in a park that rewards lefties)

    the difference between these 3 is the age, Ethier is the youngest of the bunch at 30, swisher is 32 and torri is 37 and if he were on the open market would most likely get the most lucrative deal of the 3.
    He probably does.

    But I don't think he would get the deal he has if he was a free agent today either.

    Hunter got 2/26, but that's mainly because of his age and unlikely chance he repeats his 2012 performance.

    I can see Swisher getting 5/65 or so this off-season. Would Either get 5/85? I'm not too sure. Either way, the Rays wouldn't sign him to that deal.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,988
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I don't think the rays do that because it doesn't solve their needs, they aren't considering trading pitchers because they don't have enough, they are like 8 deep, and everyone you mentioned is a pitcher.
    What?

    2 of the 4 players I mentioned play positions where they have openings.

    and yes, it's two more arms that can go to the pen for this year, or take a rotation spot if necessary. Ideally, they would get an arm to replace Price (not that they need one) and then position players under team control that are MLB ready, that's Taveras (the second best hitting prospect in baseball) and Matt Adams and left handed hitting first basemen with solid gap power and an impatient approach (was a top 120 prospect last year)

    They have an offense that is totally dependent on one hitter who has missed significant time the last 2 years, and plays a physicaly demanding position, on top of that they have next to no impact bats close to the major leagues.
    did Matt Joyce and Ben Zobrist disappear or something?

    You said the cards might have to throw in Matt Adams, i say the conversation starts with him and colten wong, i mean sure they would have to package a pitcher, because no one trades good pitching without getting pitching back.
    By all means, Wong and Adams, and more isn't going to make me cry lol.

    Taveras and Miller are two of the best prospects in the game, unloading them for Price was sort of the main piece there. Miller replaces Price in the rotation (even though he is unnecessary to their needs) and Taveras goes to play center or right. Adams and Wong. hell why not. It's David Price, we'll keep Rosenthall

    Wong, Adams, Miller, and Taveras is a very strong package for David Price.


    Cards rotation of

    1. Price
    2. Wainwright
    3. Carpenter
    4. Garcia
    5. Lynn/Rosenthall/Westbrook/Kelly


    It doesn't make really any sense for the Cardinals though. Just saying what kind of package it would take. Not really illustrating a realistic trade scenario. The Cardinals have too much pitching too, so this is a highly unlikely trade scenario.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 12-03-2012 at 07:08 PM.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cypress,CA
    Posts
    1,732
    vCash
    1500
    Price for Trout

    The only real package the Rays would take for Price. His value is way to high to put any "Price" tag on home.

    That being said. No way I trade Trout for anybody!!
    MIKE TROUT FOR MVP!!!!!

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    610
    vCash
    1500
    we have a few years left on him. if we trade him the team he goes to better be ready to put up a lot.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Castlevania
    Posts
    2,563
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Halopower31 View Post
    Price for Trout

    The only real package the Rays would take for Price. His value is way to high to put any "Price" tag on home.

    That being said. No way I trade Trout for anybody!!
    Not even Harper and Strasberg?

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,988
    vCash
    1000
    Of course you would take Harper and Strasburg for Price, but there is no way in hell the Nationals would offer that

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,988
    vCash
    1000
    That would be a lot of first overall picks moving around though.

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    san josYAY
    Posts
    10,291
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    What?

    2 of the 4 players I mentioned play positions where they have openings.

    and yes, it's two more arms that can go to the pen for this year, or take a rotation spot if necessary. Ideally, they would get an arm to replace Price (not that they need one) and then position players under team control that are MLB ready, that's Taveras (the second best hitting prospect in baseball) and Matt Adams and left handed hitting first basemen with solid gap power and an impatient approach (was a top 120 prospect last year)


    did Matt Joyce and Ben Zobrist disappear or something?



    By all means, Wong and Adams, and more isn't going to make me cry lol.

    Taveras and Miller are two of the best prospects in the game, unloading them for Price was sort of the main piece there. Miller replaces Price in the rotation (even though he is unnecessary to their needs) and Taveras goes to play center or right. Adams and Wong. hell why not. It's David Price, we'll keep Rosenthall

    Wong, Adams, Miller, and Taveras is a very strong package for David Price.


    Cards rotation of

    1. Price
    2. Wainwright
    3. Carpenter
    4. Garcia
    5. Lynn/Rosenthall/Westbrook/Kelly


    It doesn't make really any sense for the Cardinals though. Just saying what kind of package it would take. Not really illustrating a realistic trade scenario. The Cardinals have too much pitching too, so this is a highly unlikely trade scenario.
    Well you mentioned 5 players including Laynce Lynn, for some reason i thought taveras was a pitcher too, that's my bad, though this is what you said about matt adams
    and maybe even Matt Adams.
    I looked up Travares and he had really good stats, but i wouldn't call him the 2nd best hitter in the minors, i don't know if you think he is better than Profar, Meyers or Castalonos, but i don't think he is...


    They kind of did disappear, not to say they aren't with out value, but tampa's offense is becoming more and more dependent on Longoria, partially because they keep letting people walk, their offense is totally different with him in there than without him, more so than anyone else on their roster, sort of like the dodgers at the start of the year when they had just kemp and ethier.

    and I agree that is a strong package for him, idk if it would be the best, but it is definitely one of of the best offers i have seen anyone make on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    He probably does.

    But I don't think he would get the deal he has if he was a free agent today either.

    Hunter got 2/26, but that's mainly because of his age and unlikely chance he repeats his 2012 performance.

    I can see Swisher getting 5/65 or so this off-season. Would Either get 5/85? I'm not too sure. Either way, the Rays wouldn't sign him to that deal.
    I think so, he is the youngest corner OF of the bunch (BJ is a center fielder, and while the talent has always been there he is super inconsistent, and delmon young is delmon young)

    I think the Yanks, Rangers and Tigers would have all would have come calling, and he would be able to hit well in NY or Tex just fine, in fact he would probably be hitting more home runs, i think had he been a free agent he would have gotten that 6th year guaranteed instead of it being a team option. As it stands the dodgers got off pretty easy with his extension.

    Also, i don't i never thought the rays would sign off on that deal, nor would the dodgers sign off on the kind of deal either.
    Last edited by ciaban; 12-03-2012 at 10:46 PM.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    36,988
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Well you mentioned 5 players including Laynce Lynn, for some reason i thought taveras was a pitcher too, that's my bad, though this is what you said about matt adams


    I looked up Travares and he had really good stats, but i wouldn't call him the 2nd best hitter in the minors, i don't know if you think he is better than Profar, Meyers or Castalonos, but i don't think he is...
    Sickels seems to think so at least

    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013

    Every site sees him as a top 5 overall prospect in baseball.


    They kind of did disappear, not to say they aren't with out value, but tampa's offense is becoming more and more dependent on Longoria, partially because they keep letting people walk, their offense is totally different with him in there than without him, more so than anyone else on their roster, sort of like the dodgers at the start of the year when they had just kemp and ethier.
    Yup, sort of. But the Rays still have additional cogs that are very good. Jennings is still coming along, Joyce is the same thing as Ethier, and Zobrist is a ridiculously good, secret weapon.

    And then they always have random guys like Jeff Keppinger come and have career years there.

    and I agree that is a strong package for him, idk if it would be the best, but it is definitely one of of the best offers i have seen anyone make on this site.
    It's certainly strong. But I don't think it would actually help the Rays enough to move him.

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,130
    vCash
    1500
    Zobrist had an arguably better offensive season than Either last year...how is that disappearing if you think he is so good?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •