0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade the trade

vCash

Lightbulb Grade the trade

ESPN Insider

Bradford Doolittle, ESPN: Bucks trade grade: B-plus

The story of this trade began back in October, when Milwaukee failed to reach an agreement with Knight on a rookie extension. Knight was a well-liked player both in the organization and in the locker room, and might have been the hardest worker of all the Bucks....

Carter-Williams' length on defense will be an immediate upgrade from Knight and will further bolster the league's second-ranked defensive unit. He and Khris Middleton should form one of the league's best defensive backcourts....

Ennis is a nice get as a playmaking backup. He barely played in the Suns' cramped backcourt, but averaged 18.3 points and 5.3 assists for Phoenix's D-League team in Bakersfield.... Ennis, if he develops, could be a nice part-time complement to Carter-Williams, a fellow Syracuse product....

The inclusion of Plumlee in the deal is what really puts this trade over the top for the Bucks.

Sports Illustrated

Ben Golliver, SI.com: Bucks grade: B

This trade could go two ways for Milwaukee, depending on how Carter-Williams manages the adjustment to playing for a real NBA team: A) it could wind up looking like a cautious, shrewd approach to salary cap management or, B) it could send them searching for a long-term solution at point guard after developing Knight into just such a commodity....

76ers grade: A

Carter-Williams certainly had his warts this season. His 25.6 percent three-point shooting qualifies as atrocious, he ranks in the top five in turnovers and he penned one of the dumbest essays you’ll ever read for The Players’ Tribune. At 23, he’s older than most top-flight second-year players, and it’s fair to say that his star potential is pretty limited.

FOX Sports

Corey DeMoss: Meanwhile, the Bucks continued to acquire long players who can defend multiple positions, as the 6-foot-6 Carter-Williams will join 6-foot-11 Giannis Antetokounmpo and 6-foot-7 Khris Middleton to form an intimidating combination of defenders.

CBS Sports

Matt Moore: The Bucks didn't want to pay Brandon Knight this summer, or risk a sign-and-trade falling through, so they went ahead and punted. They picked up a former Rookie of the Year and a decent big to replace Larry Sanders. They nabbed Tyler Ennis who has upside, but they gave up their best player and didn't get a first-rounder back.

Philly.com

Keith Pompey, Inquirer Staff Writer: Carter-Williams was the team's leading active scorer at 15 points per game. His 7.4 assists per game rank eighth in the NBA, but he also is averaging 4.2 turnovers.

The second-year player out of Syracuse let his frustration get the best of him on occasion. Two of his biggest outbursts came in road losses to the Dallas Mavericks on Nov. 13 and the Thunder on March 4, 2013.

Carter-Williams' frustration was visible in the second half of a 53-point drubbing by the Mavs. On one play, he did not get back on defense and coach Brett Brown yelled at him. The coach then approached the player during a stoppage. Carter-Williams appeared to point to the scoreboard as a way to say, "Coach, look at the score
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/292858641.html

vCash
    Overall : B with the potential of being an A+.

Organizational intent/sticking to plan : A+
    Players acquired : B, upside to A

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    After sitting down and thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that I don't like this trade. The reason, in short, is that Brandon Knight is a better player than MCW and, IMO, likely to remain so, into the future. They are the same age, so its not like MCW has more time to develop than Knight does.

That being said, the trade makes sense and is justifiable. Our cap outlook looks better. Positions are more clearly defined. The other two acquired players are serviceable, etc, etc. I get why it was done. But Knight earned his next contract, works his tail off, was improving every season, and easily swings between the 1 and 2 spot. He should have been a keeper.

This move has Kidd's fingerprints all over it. It's on him to make this work. I am dubious but Kidd has proven to be a good coach, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But if MCW does not markedly improve and this trade turns out to be bust, it should be his *** on the line. Time for Mr.Kidd to earns his paycheck.

Grade: C
    Last edited by mseds99; 02-20-2015 at 12:43 PM.

vCash

Potential: A/F

I can't get past trading the Lakers pick for MCW. Next year that pick could be Henry Ellinson or Diamond Stone...the pick was worth the gamble of trading Knight. MCW was not. We traded an All Star for an average player, a decent big man and a non lottery pick rookie.
    Last edited by BroncoBuck; 02-20-2015 at 12:20 PM.

vCash
    Grade: F

I don't get this trade, Knight is much better than MCW and they are both at age 23, so its not like your getting any younger, and MCW is injury prone and Knight has always been healthy and why would you trade your best player on the court when your in the midst of a playoff run, this reminds me of the Ray Allen trade, I hope I'm wrong but I got a bad gut feeling about this one

vCash
    Lolz.

It's an A for me. This team has the potential to be a matchup nightmare for other teams with the sheer length they can put on the floor. Plus, I'm a big fan of Plumlee. Might be the best C on the roster.

I think Kidd can turn MCW into a guy who dishes out 10 APG and is a defensive stud. That's a better fit for what the Bucks want to be moving forward.

Also, you guys realize that the Bucks could theoretically still overpay a ton for Knight this offseason right? They were gonna have to do it anyways.

And we have no idea what that Lakers draft pick could or would be. I also don't get calling MCW an "average player."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBuck View Post

Potential: A/F

I can't get past trading the Lakers pick for MCW. Next year that pick could be Henry Ellinson or Diamond Stone...the pick was worth the gamble of trading Knight. MCW was not. We traded an All Star for an average player, a decent big man and a non lottery pick rookie.

Still waiting to hear how that Lakers pick was ours? And then you throw two guys out there that haven't even seen a college floor (one hasn't even picked a school yet!) as better players than MCW ? That's totally illogical. The Lakers will have a useless pick this summer, and could very well be out of the lottery in 2016. So, a useless player in 2015 or a non lottery pick in 2016 is better than the defending Rookie of the Year. Okay.

Here comes the "winner by default" argument too. Despite his poor shooting, he put up nearly the same stats as 2012 ROY Damian Lillard, and was the 3rd rookie in NBA history (Osacar and Magic) to average 17/6/6 and 2 steals. MCW's trajectory has Nowhere to go but UP from here on in.

And last I checked Knight was not an all-star. I didn't see him out there last Sunday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thornga2 View Post
    Lolz.

It's an A for me. This team has the potential to be a matchup nightmare for other teams with the sheer length they can put on the floor. Plus, I'm a big fan of Plumlee. Might be the best C on the roster.

I think Kidd can turn MCW into a guy who dishes out 10 APG and is a defensive stud. That's a better fit for what the Bucks want to be moving forward.

Also, you guys realize that the Bucks could theoretically still overpay a ton for Knight this offseason right? They were gonna have to do it anyways.

And we have no idea what that Lakers draft pick could or would be. I also don't get calling MCW an "average player."
    Under 40% shooter, under 30% from three, 7 assists, 4 turnovers. That's MCW. Knight was/is miles ahead of MCW and it's not even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Larbucks View Post

I don't get this trade, Knight is much better than MCW and they are both at age 23, so its not like your getting any younger, and MCW is injury prone and Knight has always been healthy and why would you trade your best player on the court when your in the midst of a playoff run, this reminds me of the Ray Allen trade, I hope I'm wrong but I got a bad gut feeling about this one

Welcome to the forums!

vCash
    At the very least, this makes the team better next year. I'm not even convinced they aren't better now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thornga2 View Post
    At the very least, this makes the team better next year. I'm not even convinced they aren't better now.
    This makes them much worse now. They lost their team leader, leader in points, leader in assists. They received MCW who is out the next 10 games, a guy who basically hasn't seen the court this far in his career and a rotation big man. There is no way this team is better right now.

vCash
    He definitely needs to get more efficient, no doubt about it. Let's see what being on a team with other NBA talent does for that. Still, he's a true distributing PG who's 6'6", plenty athletic, and by most accounts a defensive upgrade. He'll run an offense and make others better in a why that Knight never could.

Brandon Knight is the better player right now. I get that. MCW is almost certainly going to be a better value over the next 2 seasons, and this trade was about the future, what smart fans have been begging the Bucks to think about for years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Larbucks View Post

They're the same age, but Knight came out younger. Which mean that over the next two seasons, he's gonna make 25 million more than MCW. If MCW even comes CLOSE to Knight's production, that's a great deal.

vCash
    I think grading the trade right now is foolish. There's quite a few layers that need to be figured out here. Miles Plumlee is the oldest player in the trade at 26, but even he has limited nba experience. No one in the trade has really reached their potential, and one could argue that Knight was probably closest to reaching his potential.

Additionally, I think the trade also can't be analyzed because there's a financial aspect to it that can't be determined until this offseason. Knight is going to get a big deal, so we saved money there. What we do with those savings also need to be factored into the trade.

Either way, MCW is still a question mark. He's at least looked like he's a pro level player. We'll find out more about him playing with legit teammates as this season and next season progress. But I don't think its a guarantee that he'll be much better at running the offense than Knight.

We made this trade for the future, but Knight could have been part of the future though too. Its not like we traded an aging star for young assets. Knight will likely continue to improve, but he probably is what he is. He'll always be more of a scoring guard than a true PG. He'll likely never be a great P&R guy, but he'll probably continue to get more efficient. Plus he's a good defender and hard worker, so he'll likely be an asset.

The guys we got are somewhat wild cards. No one really knows what Ennis is at this point. He's likely never going to be an elite player, given his size and athletic deficiencies, but he can turn into a good guard. Plumlee will likely never be an All-Star center, but he provides size, athleticism and energy. The key is MCW. I think people, both negatively and positively, are rushing to judgment on him. His development is the lynchpin in this deal, and I don't see any need to rush to judgment on it.

vCash
    To those who wanted to see Knight kept and extended, what's the highest you would've gone on his contract?

For me, I'd say 5 years 80 million. If he was an RFA, I wouldn't match over that. Not like he was going to give the Bucks a hometown discount. He was gonna go to the highest bidder. If the Bucks really wanted to, they could try to be that highest bidder this offseason. If someone's willing to pay more, he was gone either way.
    Last edited by thornga2; 02-20-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast