Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who should be Milwaukee Bucks starting pg?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Giannis Antetokounmpo

1 14.29%
  • Brandon Knight

4 57.14%
  • Nate Wolters

0 0%
  • Kendall Marshall

1 14.29%
  • other as in player we dont already have like Bledsoe

1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    vCash

Question Who should be Milwaukee Bucks starting pg?

With a summer of activity behind them, the Milwaukee Bucks now find themselves with a surplus at the point guard position, which poses a legitimate question: Who should the starter be?

And when one looks at it, that's not the easiest question to answer.

Brandon Knight and Kendall Marshall are the clear front runners, but Nate Wolters put together a solid rookie season, and head coach Jason Kidd experimented with Giannis Antetokounmpo at point during the Las Vegas Summer League.

But with all that said, Knight should hold onto the starting gig for the time being.

Here's why.

Scoring

Despite drafting Jabari Parker, the Bucks will still have a lot of trouble scoring in 2014-15.

Outside of the rookie, Knight is the only consistent scoring option the team has on the roster.

While some might suggest moving Knight to shooting guard, it's not fair to him. At least not to begin the season, that is.

The 22-year-old improved across the board a season ago and showed signs of becoming a respectable distributor.

On a team that had tremendous woes offensively—the Bucks scored just 95.5 points per game and shot 43.8 percent from the floor—Knight still managed to average 4.9 assists. And while that isn't remarkable, it showed his willingness to distribute, even when much of the burden to score was placed on his shoulders.

In his increased role, Knight showed a much more aggressive nature and didn't think twice about attacking the rim. In turn, he was able to get to the foul line 4.5 times per game.

There's no doubt the Bucks need someone to efficiently run their offense, but scoring is more important at this juncture.

Depending on how O.J. Mayo bounces back from his lackluster 2013-14 season, Knight may very well end up playing the 2 at some point, but he has earned every opportunity to prove he is the team's point guard moving forward.

That, along with Knight's scoring prowess, is one big reason he is the best option.

Leadership

The youngster may still be developing as a point guard, but his leadership skills span well beyond his age.

In fact, as Andrew Gruman of FOX Sports Wisconsin pointed out, Knight is well aware of the improvements he needs to make as both a player and a teammate.

Still, reading quotes like the following one proves that his line of thinking is right where it should be:

'Going through what we went through this year, as far as lack of respect from officials, teams -- who wants to go through that?' Knight said. 'I take it as kind of a slap in the face. I think we can use it as motivation. I'll constantly remind guys of what happened this year. We're going to get better.'

That's the kind of attitude the team and organization must have.

Who should start at point guard for the Bucks in 2014-15?

Brandon Knight Kendall Marshall Nate Wolters Giannis Antetokounmpo Submit Vote vote to see results

There's no time to sulk in the misery of a dreadful 2014-15 season.

Instead, everyone must come together and realize that what the Bucks are building is a work in progress and won't change overnight.

It seems as though Knight understands that and has been conveying that attitude to his teammates.

And this isn't the first time his leadership qualities are emerging.

A few years ago, when both were with the Detroit Pistons, veteran Corey Maggette spoke highly of Knight (per David Mayo of MLive.com):

I consider him the leader...He's the point guard. He's the leader of our team. He's the one who's going to have the ball in his hands, making the calls, reading defenses, reading offensive plays. He can do that. He has the ability to be the leader on this team.

Clearly those people making the decisions for the Pistons didn't feel the same way, but after a 2013-14 season that marked Knight's first major stride, we're one step closer to saying they were wrong.

Whether or not he continues making progress has yet to be seen.

However, with his scoring, leadership and respectable defense—not to mention a very good 2013-14—Knight has earned every right to be the starting point guard for the Bucks this coming season.

He's not the distributor Marshall is and won't attract the attention Antetokounmpo would playing point, but he is a former top-10 pick who is beginning to come into his own.

And the Bucks must allow him to continue doing that, at least for now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...be-next-season

vCash
    I've always been a fan of pass 1st point guards. I think Marshall would be ideal with Giannis, Parker, Ersan, and Sanders to start and then Knight can come in with some subs and be a big scoring boost at 1 or 2 and fit the role of 6th man perfectly.

vCash
    I've always been a fan of Knight as a sixth man, because he is an ideal combo guard that can score in bunches, play either guard spot, and isn't a terrible defender. That being said, with this team, having Knight as our starting PG allows us to get our most talented lineup on the floor. I think a Knight, Giannis, Parker, Ersan and Sanders lineup is the most likely lineup. From the beginning of Kidd's time here, he's always seemed to mentioned Ersan's name more often than I would expect. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I think he likes him enough to have him start. If that's the case, the only way to get Giannis and Parker to start, would be to have Giannis play the two, so realistically, Knight is probably your one. Obviously both Knight and Giannis can bring it up and get into the offense, but in name, Knight is probably the pg.

I also think pass first pg is incredibly overrated. I think you put your best players on the floor, and I don't think Marshall is one of our best players. If he has 8 assists and 2 points, its not a whole lot different than a guy with 14 points and 4 assists. Obviously there's more to it than just points and assists, shooting percentages, turnovers and other factors play a role. But my general point is just because Marshall is capable of getting assists, doesn't really make us a better team, especially if he's no threat to score and a below average defender, which is magnified by the fact that the lineup you proposed above has two minus defenders in Parker and Ersan, and as of last season, Giannis was actually a below average defender as well.