Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spurs Fined

vCash
    I also agree with Benji that the last thread shouldn't have been shut. Probably the biggest thing that I dislike about PSD. Too conservative at times. Thanks for rehashing the debate though.

vCash
    I know it is bad attention lately, but it is good to see the Spurs talked about.
    Who knew? All we had to do was rest some players & pull a plastic shotty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnWantedTheory View Post
    I know it is bad attention lately, but it is good to see the Spurs talked about.
    Who knew? All we had to do was rest some players & pull a plastic shotty.
    I think it's ironic suddenly we're the bad guys of the league. On twitter and some of the headlines are kinda jabbing at us saying the "rest spurs" and saying stuff like "by Pop's account Memphis should be gasping for air" - (about the game going into OT yesterday)

People are so ignorant sometimes

But all in all, I kind of like it. Gives us that us against the world mentality, and I hope they are able to turn this into great play. Big picture, winning it all would be the ultimate F-U to Stern.

vCash
    That 15% would have had no idea had Stern not kicked up a **** storm.
    The Spurs have done this many times in the past & the fact it was a national MIA game was just coincidence.

That makes me happy as a fan which in turn promotes the idea of me spending my hard earned $ on wanting more of the same. That is good business.

The fact that an overwhelmingly large % is against this speaks volumes to me as I would tend to go where the money is....and that is with 85% of the fans.

The future commissioner Adam Silver had this to say last year.
    "The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams. And Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second-guess."
    I don't think we are on opposite sides of this. I am just pointing out that there is another side.
    I completely agree about the fans and I don't believe this was instigated by them. But I can imagine TNT was ticked and Stern was probably pressured (assumed or real) into making a statement. Your point is exactly right, there was no issue when it wasn't during national games. The national nature makes this time different. Like it or not that is how the business nature is.

You are happy because you are a spurs fan and a spurs fan who is probably much more dedicated than the 15% that is ticked. You are thinking long term(as am I) while a lot of fans don't understand what a game in Nov means to a game in June.

Once again. Stern isn't concerned about losing revenue from the 85%. If this fine stands and if teams become required to play their stars (not sure how that would happen), would you boycott or stop supporting the Spurs? No. Stern however, is worried that if this becomes more of a habit with stars sitting, then the casual 15% will stop going to games or spending on other merchandise. This is why he doesn't care what the coaches, media, or even the commited 85% think, because their money is basically secure.

And just a side note, Silver did say this but this last spring, long before the Mia game. Just important to note that his comment was not in response to this last game.

I am with you that I think this is ridiculous. I just think it is important to understand the business side of "marquee match ups" and how Stern would envision those as valuable product display. And despite the fact that it was a good game, it still wasn't Timmy,Gino, Parker vs James, Wade, Bosh.

vCash
    What's funny is on 3/31 the Spurs play at home vs Miami and the next day 4/1 in Memphis lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    I don't think we are on opposite sides of this. I am just pointing out that there is another side.
    I completely agree about the fans and I don't believe this was instigated by them. But I can imagine TNT was ticked and Stern was probably pressured (assumed or real) into making a statement. Your point is exactly right, there was no issue when it wasn't during national games. The national nature makes this time different. Like it or not that is how the business nature is.

You are happy because you are a spurs fan and a spurs fan who is probably much more dedicated than the 15% that is ticked. You are thinking long term(as am I) while a lot of fans don't understand what a game in Nov means to a game in June.

Once again. Stern isn't concerned about losing revenue from the 85%. If this fine stands and if teams become required to play their stars (not sure how that would happen), would you boycott or stop supporting the Spurs? No. Stern however, is worried that if this becomes more of a habit with stars sitting, then the casual 15% will stop going to games or spending on other merchandise. This is why he doesn't care what the coaches, media, or even the commited 85% think, because their money is basically secure.

And just a side note, Silver did say this but this last spring, long before the Mia game. Just important to note that his comment was not in response to this last game.

I am with you that I think this is ridiculous. I just think it is important to understand the business side of "marquee match ups" and how Stern would envision those as valuable product display. And despite the fact that it was a good game, it still wasn't Timmy,Gino, Parker vs James, Wade, Bosh.
    I did mention Silver said it last year.

Also, I do understand where Stern is coming from. I get the business side but the "League" can and should interfere only so far. I believe that was crossing the line for little to no reason. This would not have turned into some sort of epidemic. Teams have always had this option & not many teams believe in Pop's particular minute management to begin with. I truly believe had this been MIA sitting the players there would have been no fine. Eh, too late now. I just wish the Spurs would have fought this.

vCash
    I did mention Silver said it last year.

Also, I do understand where Stern is coming from. I get the business side but the "League" can and should interfere only so far. I believe that was crossing the line for little to no reason. This would not have turned into some sort of epidemic. Teams have always had this option & not many teams believe in Pop's particular minute management to begin with. I truly believe had this been MIA sitting the players there would have been no fine. Eh, too late now. I just wish the Spurs would have fought this.
    My bad. Not quite sure how I missed that. And I assumed you knew it, was just wanting to make sure other's understood that fact. But you had already taken care of that.

Agree, Agree, Agree
    and definitely agree that they should have fought it. I don't think they would have gotten rid of the fine but I am pretty sure it could have been reduced. That is a crazy amount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12