Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spurs Fined

vCash

Spurs Fined

First off, I want to say that it makes no sense that the other thread on this issue was closed. Trolling or not, the issue is a valid Spurs issue that should be discussed on this board and the guy had legitimate statements. Just because a bunch of Spurs fans reacted poorly does not mean the thread should have been closed. It was a disagreement. Trolling is when you engage in illogical, excessive badgering. He didn't do that (with the first post) and therefore he should have been given reasons by spurs fans as to why he was mistaken. I am opening up this discussion again and would love logical discussion, so if you can't do that then go somewhere else.

I am struggling with this. At first I laughed it off and had a few choice words for Stern. I also agree with 90% of the reporters out there that this is a joke and makes Stern look goofy. However, after settling down, I have come to three new realizations.

1. I am a spurs fan who lives in Indiana. I do not have cable and I get to one live NBA game every couple years (time, energy, money reasons). That said, if the spurs came to Indy and didn't have 6 guys that I was excited about seeing, I would be disappointed. And it wasn't just that they didn't play. The issue (for Stern as well) is that they weren't even there. Yes, it may be minor, but even seeing a guy on the bench is better than not seeing him at all. I once had the opportunity to sit right behind a bench and it was amazing just to be near them. Would I still enjoy the game? Yes. Would I still enjoy the experience? Yes. Would I be disappointed? Absolutely!

2. Stern said this is about the fans. And while I think having 250,000 go into the Commish's money bag is a joke, he has a point. Yes many people think it is a dumb fine, however, i have also seen enough comments (and I have read a lot) agreeing with stern that they thought Pop was wrong. NBA coaches and columnists are not the people he is concerned about. It is the fans and the sponsors and in those two categories there are people who have issues with this. So Stern is not wrong when he says that in the circles he is concerned with, there are frustrations.

3. We all like to talk about how this is Pop's team to run but it is also Stern's league to run. So we can complain all we want, but Stern has been given the right to make these decisions. That being said, I don't think the 250k will stick, but I am sure they will have to pay some fine. And my guess is that an official "ruling" regarding this comes out in some form. Even though the details of how that would work seem crazy.

So don't get me wrong. I still completely disagree with the ruling, I just think there is some value is saying that Pop's actions aren't completely without a negative side.

vCash
    I wonder what kind of punishment they'll get for this:

vCash
    first off he wasnt trolling in here but you should see the NBA forum jesus christ hes trolling the **** out of the few spurs fan on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Kawhi is nothing but a average player on a good system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nate30 View Post
    first off he wasnt trolling in here but you should see the NBA forum jesus christ hes trolling the **** out of the few spurs fan on this site.
    I understand that, but he never came back from what I could see. My point was that his points for this thread were valid and it seems odd just to respond "troll" even though he presented a discussion that was valid for the spurs. I wan't to comment on this and it is dumb that I had to start a new thread when one already existed. My point is that he may troll other places, but that thread was not a trolling.

vCash
    1: Valid, but having them there would be pointless. IF they were there, they would play. It's about getting them rest before Saturday's game, not just not playing.

2: It's not about the fans, it's about that big chunk of money TNT gives the league. If it were about the fans this would have been a problem much more often in the past. From everything I've seen, the majority of fans (overwhelming majority, like 85%) disagree with the fine. I guarantee you the people who do agree with it would be crazy pissed if it were their team getting fined for something they and other teams do regularly.

3: I completely disagree with you here. Yes, the commissioner's job is to run the league and protect its interests. It is not his job to issue a huge fine for practices that have been accepted for years without warning. Especially when last season Adam Silver said teams were allowed to rest their players. If they want to institute a rule change to stop this in the future, then by all means do it. Can't fine someone for breaking a rule that doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
    1: Valid, but having them there would be pointless. IF they were there, they would play. It's about getting them rest before Saturday's game, not just not playing.

2: It's not about the fans, it's about that big chunk of money TNT gives the league. If it were about the fans this would have been a problem much more often in the past. From everything I've seen, the majority of fans (overwhelming majority, like 85%) disagree with the fine. I guarantee you the people who do agree with it would be crazy pissed if it were their team getting fined for something they and other teams do regularly.

3: I completely disagree with you here. Yes, the commissioner's job is to run the league and protect its interests. It is not his job to issue a huge fine for practices that have been accepted for years without warning. Especially when last season Adam Silver said teams were allowed to rest their players. If they want to institute a rule change to stop this in the future, then by all means do it. Can't fine someone for breaking a rule that doesn't exist.
    1. Agreed, this is why I have no problem with them going home early. My point was that as a fan who gets to see the spurs play only a few times a year when they are on regular TV. It is a huge deal for me to go and watch them. So to say that it doesn't matter to the fans is incorrect.

2. 15% of the fans are still fans. So it is about the fans. If they would have played how many fans would have complained? Majority rules and if the 85% would boycott, then Stern would change his mind. But they won't. The 15% may however change their habits, because generally these fans aren't deeply invested in the NBA as a whole. Yes 15% sounds small but for Stern that is a huge number. I am not saying that Stern is looking out for the feelings of the fan, but the fan = dollars. And so it is about fans for him. Because even losing 1% of your fan base is a huge chunk of revenue and sponsorship.

3. I agree, my point was that as commissioner his job is to oversee what is beneficial for the league. In pop's mind sending players home is beneficial for the team. In Stern's mind fining the team major money to send a message is beneficial for the league. Just because there is no mandated rule doesn't mean he can't do it. I also don't know all the language of all the rules, but I am sure he is basing his punishment on some rule or legalese somewhere. Furthermore, Flip Saunders stated on ESPN that all the coaches are given a "competitiveness" lecture at the beginning of the year. So just because a rule is not written does not mean it isn't implied. And once again, I strongly believe that this 250k will never happen. I think this will get challenged, Stern won't have a strong case, and the spurs will pay a much smaller fee to make it all go away. And like I also said, I believe that this may lead to a more formal process of creating language to deter this.

I understand where you are coming from (and agree with you on most of it), my point was that this is much in line with a) how Stern runs the league and b) how a portion of fans may be feeling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kdspurman View Post
    I wonder what kind of punishment they'll get for this:

Yikes. I get the joke, but I am not in love with it. Seems a little bit much. However, I did get a little smile.

Where was this at? Funny little bit:

Adrian Wojnarowski: Front office executive just texted on Spurs: "Watch, Joey Crawford will do the Memphis game now." Twitter @WojYahooNBA

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=t_ZtThORxqQ

^ Video: Doc Rivers doesn't like NBA's fine on Spurs

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    Ginobili Surprised By Commotion
    Written by Jose Grijalva on Saturday, 01 December 2012 11:56.

Everyone has their opinions on David Stern fining the San Antonio Spurs for sending home their stars, even one of their stars. Manu Ginobili typed up a great story on explaining on CanchaLlena.com how cautious Gregg Popovich has been with him and the team and that he's done this very action before with no consequences.

Manu went to state that Pop had asked him if he wanted to sit during the trip against Washington but Manu wanted to try to play against Washington to seal a win with the rest of the superstars on the floor and rest when the other stars were going to rest.

Ginobili knows his limitations also, stating that he's 35 and his teammate Tim Duncan is 36 years old so they have to get the rest they can afford as a team. He also gives us an in depth description of his previous injury, which rightfully worried his coach during this mini travel tour. He didn't have balance or have confidence in his play up until playing the Nuggets two weeks ago.

Manu doesn't seem upset, but more disappointed at how the NBA is treating the Spurs with this schedule and action. He also wrote that the Spurs have been plagued by injuries so far, especially in the small forward position with Kawhi Leonard and Stephen Jackson. You can bet the Spurs will still be cautious, even if the NBA doesn't agree with it.
    http://www.projectspurs.com/2012-art...commotion.html

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Thanks Alex, but the question isn't how players, coaches, or even media feels about it, since Stern doesn't care how they take it. Stern's issue was with how the fans and the sponsors would respond. And 80-90% of fans have no problem with this (I am one), but Stern is thinking about the other 10-20% and the millions of dollars that come in from TV deals.

For example, if you are trying to sell a network on additional games and have of your options are crappy teams (cha,was, tor) and you are worried about others (sa, bos, etc) pulling their stars, they won't make the commitment. This fine is not about punishing the spurs as much as it is about deterring teams from doing this in the past. That is why it was so much at the beginning.

vCash
    I was watching last nights game, Lakers vs Nuggets and Jeff van gundy made a good point; Why not penalize teams who TANK the season too?!?

He also brought up how Coach Pop has done this before with his lineup.

Why are they being penalized.... just NOW.

Makes no sense to me really. You guys think Pop will pull another "STARTERs REST" throughout the season..?
    Last edited by AlexTmz2; 12-01-2012 at 06:44 PM.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTmz2 View Post
    I was watching last nights game, Lakers vs Nuggets and Jeff van gundy made a good point; Why not penalize teams who TANK the season too?!?

He also brought up how Coach Pop has done this before with his lineup.

Why are they being penalized.... just NOW.

Makes no sense to me really. You guys think Pop will pull another "STARTERs REST" throughout the season..?
    I can never figure out Pops mind. But I wouldn't be surprised if he played the starters for 1min called a TO and then sat them the rest of the game.

The whole issue is that it was a major game against a major opponent on TNT. This is why it is very transparent that this is all about money for Stern. I am sure someone from the network speed dialed him and chewed him out. So it is obvious that Stern would be ticked but it just seems a little high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    I can never figure out Pops mind. But I wouldn't be surprised if he played the starters for 1min called a TO and then sat them the rest of the game.

The whole issue is that it was a major game against a major opponent on TNT. This is why it is very transparent that this is all about money for Stern. I am sure someone from the network speed dialed him and chewed him out. So it is obvious that Stern would be ticked but it just seems a little high.
    That would be awesome.

Maybe pull something off like he did when they fould Shaq a second after the tip.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    I agree with the fans part, if I dont watch games regularly, then I bought a heat spurs game to watch Timmy play i would be disappointed, but the Spurs played hard, and if I was at the game I will still go home not as happy as I see Duncan et al. but I will stllgo home happy. But it is a factor.

For me it's all about Sern's pride and obviously money.
    He just feels like he was embarrassed and will take his anger out.
    Spurs doesnt have much fan base, it is really the fans?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    1. Agreed, this is why I have no problem with them going home early. My point was that as a fan who gets to see the spurs play only a few times a year when they are on regular TV. It is a huge deal for me to go and watch them. So to say that it doesn't matter to the fans is incorrect.

2. 15% of the fans are still fans. So it is about the fans. If they would have played how many fans would have complained? Majority rules and if the 85% would boycott, then Stern would change his mind. But they won't. The 15% may however change their habits, because generally these fans aren't deeply invested in the NBA as a whole. Yes 15% sounds small but for Stern that is a huge number. I am not saying that Stern is looking out for the feelings of the fan, but the fan = dollars. And so it is about fans for him. Because even losing 1% of your fan base is a huge chunk of revenue and sponsorship.

3. I agree, my point was that as commissioner his job is to oversee what is beneficial for the league. In pop's mind sending players home is beneficial for the team. In Stern's mind fining the team major money to send a message is beneficial for the league. Just because there is no mandated rule doesn't mean he can't do it. I also don't know all the language of all the rules, but I am sure he is basing his punishment on some rule or legalese somewhere. Furthermore, Flip Saunders stated on ESPN that all the coaches are given a "competitiveness" lecture at the beginning of the year. So just because a rule is not written does not mean it isn't implied. And once again, I strongly believe that this 250k will never happen. I think this will get challenged, Stern won't have a strong case, and the spurs will pay a much smaller fee to make it all go away. And like I also said, I believe that this may lead to a more formal process of creating language to deter this.

I understand where you are coming from (and agree with you on most of it), my point was that this is much in line with a) how Stern runs the league and b) how a portion of fans may be feeling.
    That 15% would have had no idea had Stern not kicked up a **** storm. Hell the game ended up having better ratings because of the Stern circus. Sorry I have to disagree but most people would have never known this to happen had it not turned into a mess. Fact is not all 100% of fans watch one game at a time.

The Spurs have done this many times in the past & the fact it was a national MIA game was just coincidence. The horrendous schedule dictated Pop's actions, not the opponent. This was never nor would ever have been an epidemic. It would have caught on by now were that the case. Thinking long term Pop is about winning games & championships. That makes me happy as a fan which in turn promotes the idea of me spending my hard earned $ on wanting more of the same. That is good business. The fact that an overwhelmingly large % is against this speaks volumes to me as I would tend to go where the money is....and that is with 85% of the fans. Thanks God Stern will be gone soon.

Get ready to see an increase of "back spasms" & "tendinosis."

The future commissioner Adam Silver had this to say last year.

"The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams. And Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second-guess."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast