Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    So we don't want or need 1.0-1.5 fWAR players in their pre-arb years?

Especially at two positions (LH 4th OFer and utility man who can be a platoon option at 3b) that we are looking to fill this offseason?
    We have Dave Sappelt who should be able to handle the 4th OF'er option, so really, Tyler Colvin becomes superfluous. And while a platoon bat at 3b would probably be nice to have, it's also not the end of the world, nor, anything we should be crying over at this point.

It was a bad trade. But it also wasn't like we gave up anything but spare bench parts, and honestly, in the case of Tyler Colvin, Dave Sappelt shouldn't have too much of a hard time replicating what Colvin does on the road from Coors.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm a Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Flyers, and a University of Kentucky fan. You may be a Dallas Cowboys fan, a St. Louis Cardinals fan, a Pittsburgh Penguins fan or a Louisville Cardinals alumn. From June 12 - July 13, we are both American. Go, go, USA!

vCash
    Sappelt/Colvin works very well together as the two reserve outfielders. They'd blend nicely.

Seeing as how our spare bench parts managed to cost us quite a few wins last year, I'd say we did have trouble replicating it.

vCash
    Sappelt/Colvin works very well together as the two reserve outfielders. They'd blend nicely.

Seeing as how our spare bench parts managed to cost us quite a few wins last year, I'd say we did have trouble replicating it.
    We shouldn't have trouble replacing it in the future.

Honestly, the thing I'm least worried about is our bench situation. Lets cross getting pissy about the losses we left on the field based on our bench situation until we actually fix the MLB starter issues we have. Because that should be the first focus. Our minor league system is relatively deep in terms of MLB bench products. I'm not entirely worried about it.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm a Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Flyers, and a University of Kentucky fan. You may be a Dallas Cowboys fan, a St. Louis Cardinals fan, a Pittsburgh Penguins fan or a Louisville Cardinals alumn. From June 12 - July 13, we are both American. Go, go, USA!

vCash
    There's no reason why we should have to choose between getting "pissy" about either of those situations. There's plenty of pissiness to go around to all the mistakes.

vCash
    It's important to point out that the league as a whole does better at home than on the road.

Coors obviously exaggerates that effect, but Coors or not, Colvin was probably going to be better at home than on the road, anyway. That said, I never was a Colvin fan and I lost zero sleep over trading him, even after the Ian Stewart disaster.

I was more upset about losing LaMahieu, but even that wasn't worth being too upset about considering how bad I expected the team to be even before that trade was made.

vCash
    There's no reason why we should have to choose between getting "pissy" about either of those situations. There's plenty of pissiness to go around to all the mistakes.
    Certainly. However consistently harping on the losses given up by Joe Mather (no longer on the team) or any of the handful of replacement pitchers (no longer on the team) is getting to the point of insanity. Yes, the bench was bad. Yes, Tyler Colvin or DJ would have maybe gotten us 1 or 2 more wins last year. And in the end....it wouldn't have made a difference. We'd probably still have the exact same issues we have today. And honestly, it's not worth it.

We are quite aware of Stewart's injuries, Colvin's Coors-inflated OPS and all of the bench problems. The likelihood that the bullpen or the bench is as bad as last year seems slim already. Fujikawa already in the fold and they're being mentioned with at least another pen arm. I doubt they'd just ignore the bench, either.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

vCash
    So, did we get Miggy yet?

vCash
    Can I get the official list of what bad moves and losses are acceptable to be annoyed by and which ones aren't?

vCash

Kyle, I appreciate your passion for the CUBS...however I think you are missing a couple of key Points. We signed Dejesus for RF and we actually though BJAX would be ready and that's why Byrd was dealt since Jackson was not ready that left us short Colvin who we trade to sure up 3rd base. While I didn't like losing Colvin I remain indifferent on DJL. Stewart had a ton of upside so I can't blame them for hoping he was over his injured wrist. Now the Yankees might bear the fruits of this surgically repaired wrist. Some of the moves are in the simplest forms best for the team. If they all turn out correctly we would need to change our name to the St. Louis Cardinals as they have benefited greatly from scrap heap moves.

I was never fond of the Dejesus signing but he had a decent year and accomplished more than I thought. I wanted to Leave Colvin in RF and lets at least see what we had in him however with a barron 3rd base market I understand them wanting to make a deal with what at the time what we considered to have a surplus in OFs.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    I'd still give Stewart a minor league contract. He seemed like a class act despite not performing. Not like there are better options at 3B right now.

Still, this has to go down as a big red mark on Theo's record. Colvin for Stewart... who thought that was ever going to be a good idea?

vCash
    A .687 OPS out of a guy who can play CF in a pinch isn't garbage.
    Exactly........he's a bench player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrownies View Post
    I'd still give Stewart a minor league contract. He seemed like a class act despite not performing. Not like there are better options at 3B right now.

Still, this has to go down as a big red mark on Theo's record. Colvin for Stewart... who thought that was ever going to be a good idea?
    I did. Too bad his wrist is just plain ruined. Bad way to go.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    All I know is that the Cubs better resign Stewart.

I invested too much in his jersey for him to leave...
    I'm not as think as you bad off I am...
    I have a split personality, and so do I.

vCash
    Of every Cub to buy a jersey for, you went Ian Stewart? I'm going to include you in the reasons I don't want him back - I hope you learn a lesson from this.

vCash
    You deserve whatever you get for buying that Jersey. That might be the biggest waste of money since Vince McMahon signed Goldberg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast