Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cubs Non-Tender Ian Stewart

I figure this is thread worthy since he was a major point of contention for many Cubs fans.

The Chicago Cubs non-tendered three players before Friday nightís deadline, including last seasonís opening day third baseman Ian Stewart.

Two minor league pitchers, Zach Putnam and Jaye Chapman, were not offered contracts and become free agents as does Stewart.

Stewart had an aborted 2012 season due to a persistent wrist injury, playing only 55 games and hitting .201 with five home runs and 17 RBIs.

The Cubs can still negotiate a new contract with Stewart, who would have been arbitration eligible after making $2.237 million last year. General manager Jed Hoyer said that the two sides had been in contact and alluded that they had hoped to get an agreement with the 27-year-old infielder before Fridayís deadline.

The Cubs acquired Stewart from the Colorado Rockies for outfielder Tyler Colvin and infielder DJ LeMahieu on Dec. 8, 2011. The Cubs also received right-hander Casey Weathers in the deal.

Also Friday, right-handed pitcher Casey Coleman cleared waivers and was assigned outright to Triple-A Iowa.

The Cubsí 40-man roster stands at 37 going into the winter meetings on Dec. 3 in Nashville.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs...er-ian-stewart

vCash
    Bring him back minor league deal to see if wrist is healed
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    No need to extend the error.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Time to move on and try and get a solution that fixes the problem longterm and actually improves the team. You already have Vitters back in AAA so he should be gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    Time to move on and try and get a solution that fixes the problem longterm and actually improves the team. You already have Vitters back in AAA so he should be gone.
    He's 27. We invested Colvin and DJ, a year, a couple million, and fixed his wrist. It's probably worth a minor league deal to see if surgery helped him regain his power stroke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    It's been 7 years. Maybe time to accept that it will never be permanently healed.

vCash
    We've all seen how long it takes power to return after wrist surgery. I expect Valbuena to hold it down at third.

vCash
    Just a bad trade all around, losing DJ doesn't matter, but Colvin looked solid last year and that blows

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    Just a bad trade all around, losing DJ doesn't matter, but Colvin looked solid last year and that blows
    Only at Coors.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    We've all seen how long it takes power to return after wrist surgery.
    And that was for good players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Only at Coors.
    I know but still, he did put up a plus 800 OPS with the Cubs so I don't really consider it a fluke

vCash

Cubs Non-Tender Ian Stewart

Where would we have even played Colvin at?

vCash
    Time to accept that Stewart is total trash, and that trade was a complete failure. No bringing him back, just let him go.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CHI_Fan412 View Post
    Where would we have even played Colvin at?
    RF instead of signing DeJesus? Colvin even played some CF last year, so he would have had playing time

vCash
    I'm not tearing my hair out over losing Colvin, but even his road OPS last year would have been a nice piece as a lefty 4th OFer who can play CFer.

And seeing as how he's a former first-round pick, he's exactly the kind of reclamation project people usually drool over these days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast