Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Backstabber View Post
    This could certainly be a defense for Landry's poor play, but nothing came out about this last year. A chronic ailment like ulnar nerve impingment, certainly could have caused poor performance last year, but I think we would have heard something about it, and it would have been disclosed during a physical.
    If they knew, I have no doubt that it would have been treated last year.

Still, my trust of the Knicks medical staff is not exactly at an all time high. And in the case of something like ulnar nerve compression, it's really hard to say since even Fields may not have been aware that there was a problem or even symptoms that needed reporting to a team physician.

And yes, I'm happy with Brewer.

Fields may still be overpaid even if you were going exclusively by his first year rookie stats. However, at this point I'm putting my judgement on him as a player on hold until we see a reasonable sample of his performance post-surgery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankster View Post
    ^^I think it's way too early to talk about how to retain these guys, but if we were to make any trades, I'd hope they'd try to give up only players that don't receive rotation minutes (i.e. Camby, Kurt.)

I love camby, the guy was a starting center in this league up until this year. As many have stated here, it makes no sense he's not seeing any playing time considering he's led the league in rebounding rate per 36 min for the last 3 years. The guy can literally shore up our biggest weakness- defensive rebounding- yet we don't utilize him at all.

If for some reason it's because he's in the doghouse, than I think it'd be wise to package him + filler for someone that can get minutes on this team. Many teams would love to have him on their roster, and I'd imagine he could start for over half the teams in this league. A Starting center is a valuable asset to have as far as trading pieces go.

I will say though I hope it's just a stamina/conditioning issue with him and that eventually he'll start to see the 22-25 minutes he's used to seeing. He's a very essential piece to what we're doing here, and I'm utterly baffled as to why his minutes haven't been slowly augmenting.
    woodson just loves Rasheed. He's been better than we thought but if you watch the games he's playing worse D than Amare. Guys just blow by him. He chucks up so many threes, he's very inefficient on offense, he's rebounding hasnt been good.

I think Kurt Thomas plays much better over all. His defense is better, he boxes out better, rebounds better. The only thing Thomas cant do is spread the floor.

Camby would nodoubt help this team alot. He's a good rebounder (somethin we need), he can also score. On the defense of side he'll bring some intimidation to our team, with his shot blocking ability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torocan View Post
    If they knew, I have no doubt that it would have been treated last year.

Still, my trust of the Knicks medical staff is not exactly at an all time high. And in the case of something like ulnar nerve compression, it's really hard to say since even Fields may not have been aware that there was a problem or even symptoms that needed reporting to a team physician.

And yes, I'm happy with Brewer.

Fields may still be overpaid even if you were going exclusively by his first year rookie stats. However, at this point I'm putting my judgement on him as a player on hold until we see a reasonable sample of his performance post-surgery.
    I don't know why this is? What veritable evidence or information do you have that any of the staff have shown medical incompetency? I take offense to statments like that because I'm in the healthcare field myself and unless you know first hand how players are being examined, treated and medically managed for, statements like these are baseless and hold no substance to them.

I'm very familiar with ulnar nerve compression/entrapment injuries- a commonly taught subject in the 1st year of anatomy in med school. There's only 3 main nerves that course from the elbow, into the forearm, and down into the hand- the radial, ulnar and median nerves. The ulnar is located laterally to the median nerve and gives innervation to the 4th and 5th digits (ring and pinky fingers.) Depending on the level of where it's compressed it can exhibit such signs as numbness, paresthesias and possibly involuntary/jerky reflexive movement by the olecranon process in the elbow. Just like if the median nerve was affected, it would exhibit symptoms of Carpel tunnel.

It of course could have an insidious onset and be asymptomatic, so who knows how long he had this injury for or the severity of it. But if he WAS exhibiting signs/symptoms of it, even the most rudimentary of primary care physicians would've been able to pick it up in diagnosis through a negative XR of the wrist followed by MRI of hand and wrist and nerve conductions studies.

My issue is you make it seem like the Knicks Medical Staff made some kind of blunder, and I challenge you to show me anything even remotely substantial to back that claim of yours.

I just don't understand why you always go so meticulous in your posts for Lin and Fields. I swear during the summer when I'd come on here you'd write essays on the financial benefits of retaining Lin as far as stocks go, and how he can be such a major marketing tool here. none of us I'm sure own stock with MSG/cablevision, so to say I was insouciant when reading a myriad of your posts would be an understatement.
    Last edited by Dankster; 12-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AFG-NYC View Post
    woodson just loves Rasheed. He's been better than we thought but if you watch the games he's playing worse D than Amare. Guys just blow by him. He chucks up so many threes, he's very inefficient on offense, he's rebounding hasnt been good.

I think Kurt Thomas plays much better over all. His defense is better, he boxes out better, rebounds better. The only thing Thomas cant do is spread the floor.

Camby would nodoubt help this team alot. He's a good rebounder (somethin we need), he can also score. On the defense of side he'll bring some intimidation to our team, with his shot blocking ability.
    I'd love Rasheed a lot more if he just abandoned the 3 and stayed in the post offensively.

I totally agree with you on the shotblocking element also. I really hope it's just conditioning that's the issue with Camby, his defense and rebounding are sorely needed.

vCash
    I'd love Rasheed a lot more if he just abandoned the 3 and stayed in the post offensively.

I totally agree with you on the shotblocking element also. I really hope it's just conditioning that's the issue with Camby, his defense and rebounding are sorely needed.
    Abandon, I don't know. Curtail, yes, not abandon. Rasheed loves the big shot and has the ability to deliver. The offense works better when he's shooting a few out there, that means a big is not in the paint.

He's a real stretch 4-5, he's the prototype. He's got to shoot that shot.

My man Ike got a bad rap

vCash
    I don't know why this is? What veritable evidence or information do you have that any of the staff have shown medical incompetency? I take offense to statments like that because I'm in the healthcare field myself and unless you know first hand how players are being examined, treated and medically managed for, statements like these are baseless and hold no substance to them.

I'm very familiar with ulnar nerve compression/entrapment injuries- a commonly taught subject in the 1st year of anatomy in med school. There's only 3 main nerves that course from the elbow, into the forearm, and down into the hand- the radial, ulnar and median nerves. The ulnar is located laterally to the median nerve and gives innervation to the 4th and 5th digits (ring and pinky fingers.) Depending on the level of where it's compressed it can exhibit such signs as numbness, paresthesias and possibly involuntary/jerky reflexive movement by the olecranon process in the elbow. Just like if the median nerve was affected, it would exhibit symptoms of Carpel tunnel.

It of course could have an insidious onset and be asymptomatic, so who knows how long he had this injury for or the severity of it. But if he WAS exhibiting signs/symptoms of it, even the most rudimentary of primary care physicians would've been able to pick it up in diagnosis through a negative XR of the wrist followed by MRI of hand and wrist and nerve conductions studies.

My issue is you make it seem like the Knicks Medical Staff made some kind of blunder, and I challenge you to show me anything even remotely substantial to back that claim of yours.

I just don't understand why you always go so meticulous in your posts for Lin and Fields. I swear during the summer when I'd come on here you'd write essays on the financial benefits of retaining Lin as far as stocks go, and how he can be such a major marketing tool here. none of us I'm sure own stock with MSG/cablevision, so to say I was insouciant when reading a myriad of your posts would be an understatement.
    The Knicks medical staff may be excellent, they may not. All we have to judge this on is the information that is streamed to us through their interactions with the media.

When I speak of the Knicks medical staff, I'm not necessarily targeting the doctors, nurses and medical technicians. I am speaking to perceived medical decision making for the team as a whole.

And why do I NOT have the highest confidence? Probably due to several factors...

Phoenix repeatedly being referred to as the best and most advanced medical team in the league in articles like this...

The Suns’ training staff has earned a reputation as the league’s best thanks to an unorthodox style focused on preventing injuries through constant surveillance and integrating the latest medical research.
    Read more: http://valleyofthesuns.com/2012/04/0...#ixzz2Dp6Fwj2f

... or this...

While Suns head trainer Aaron Nelson is quick to credit the commitment both Nash and Hill have put in to their health, the Suns' success is built largely on a philosophical approach that differs from many training staffs in the NBA. "Most teams treat athletes from a regional perspective," Hill said. "If your knee hurts, they treat the knee. [The Suns'] approach is to try to find the root of the problem, what's causing the knee to hurt. It might be that the opposite ankle's flexibility is not good, or your hamstrings are tight, or the SI (Sacroiliac) joint in your lower back is off. They spend a lot of time digging into your body and it involves a lot of manual therapy. It's part art, part science."
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2Dp6aL9Ek

or this...

When one hears the phrase “cryo-chamber,” various images are evoked by the imagination.

One may think it’s the device that froze Han Solo in “Empire Strikes Back.” Another may think it is the new hot ride at Six Flags.

But it’s actually the latest development in exercise science, and the Suns are all over it.
    http://www.nba.com/suns/news/cryo_chamber_120315.html

Phoenix? Really? REALLY? Arguably the Greatest city in the World, and Phoenix is the Legendary medical staff?

Of course, maybe it's Not the actual medical staff... maybe it's the lack of information and poor communication of that information from the Knicks in terms of injuries.

Or it might be in the light of situations like this...

October 11

News out of Thursday morning's shootaround at the Verizon Center is that Amar'e Stoudemire will not suit up to play the Wizards because of a bruised left knee.
    October 21

@Amareisreal went back to NY to get his left knee reevaluated. MRI revealed a ruptured popliteal syst. He will be out 2-3 weeks
    http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

October 30

New York Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire will miss at least the first six weeks of the season after re-injuring his surgically repaired left knee, according to league sources....

...Stoudemire may be out between 6-8 weeks, according to two of the sources.
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...out-6-8-weeks/

Or last year's situation with Season ticket holders and the Lin surgery...

The Knicks were eventually going to get around to revealing the troubling results of Jeremy Lin’s MRI but certainly not before last Wednesday.

That was a crucial day inside the club’s executive offices at Two Penn Plaza because March 28 represented the deadline for season- ticket holders to purchase all four rounds of the playoffs.

In fact, in the email sent to subscribers, there is a picture of Lin leaping in celebration. Yet, it was two days before the deadline when Lin and the Knicks’ medical staff learned that the second-year point guard/cash cow was suffering from a torn meniscus in his left knee and that he wouldn’t be jumping for joy anytime soon.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...sEnabled=false

Now tell me, does THAT engender YOU with loads of confidence? If it does, great. Let's just say that I'm a skeptic...

vCash
    Wasn't a fan of the Brewer signing but hey, if he can shoot from 3 like this then he is worth every penny.

vCash
    Brewer's defense has fell off big time recently.

I'm gonna chalk that up to the slew of injuries he's been facing. Otherwise, for the vet min, what else can you possibly ask for?

I can't wait to run out this lineup (hopefully):

Kidd
    Shump
    Brewer
    Sheed
    Tyson

vCash
    Fields was never the same since his first half rookie year.
    I think he's a solid player and is a good rebounder/passer for his position but he is just so bad offensively he'll find himself benched for his career if he can't pick it up. A Small Forward that can't hit 3's, FT's, and can only dunk isn't worth much in the NBA unless they are freak athletes who can score at will around the rim.

vCash
    Brewer is playing very well and has been a very positive contribution.

That said, I find it really hard to be quite so critical of Fields due to the medical information that was revealed earlier this season.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...-and-anderson/

As for why Fields needed that surgery and what it meant, it was essentially to treat what is called a "nerve compression".

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069

Essentially, what was happening to Fields is that in his shooting arm, he would attempt to use his shooting arm and the nerve along his arm would compress at the elbow, this would trigger a reflexive response (like a doctor hitting your knee) that would cause his hand to involuntarily grip or claw towards the end of this stroke.

Also, general compression in the nerve can cause numbness and tingling in the arm, but more importantly can affect the ability to perform fine motor movements with the arm and hand (like snapping a ball off the wrist accurately).

In an interview with the National Post, Landry spoke about his surgery.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...after-surgery/

This condition can be intermittent for long periods of time and not create pain, so it is easy to miss in terms of a diagnosis until it becomes serious. The effects can be as minor as tingling and random reduction in motor function and co-ordination with the associated limb and hand.

It is quite possible that Landry could have been suffering this condition all last year without he or the team physicians noticing it. It's also quite possible that this condition was degenerating, IE, the compression was continuing to worsen until he finally noticed it this year during the training camp.

It is impossible to know whether last year was truly because Landry sucked, or he was being physically impaired without anyone (including him) knowing. It will be interesting to see what happens when he returns to play post-surgery.
    interesting maybe this is the reason his jumper was so bad last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Backstabber View Post
    This could certainly be a defense for Landry's poor play, but nothing came out about this last year. A chronic ailment like ulnar nerve impingment, certainly could have caused poor performance last year, but I think we would have heard something about it, and it would have been disclosed during a physical. Besides, if Landry had this going on, and still got the payday then he duped the Rapters. Landry seems like a stand up guy, and I don't think he intentionally tried to dupe any team.

Like you have stated the condition may not have pain, but in my experience, always cause other symptoms which are extremely alarming to a patient, especially a professional athlete. Landry's words, previous behavior (stand up guy), and everything we know from prior to his exit to Toronto, argue that the wrist problem is Acute not chronic. The facts also argue that this has nothing to do with his previous poor play with NY.

Landry got the payday, just like Amare, and countless other players. Now regardless of the reason, he's not producing (like last year when he didn't produce). At any rate, I'm happy we went out and got Brewer, who has exceed what Landry gave us for the last year and a half over 15 games, for a cheaper price.
    Well we do have one of the worst medical staff imo so I wouldn't be surprised if it went unnoticed all of last season.
    Last edited by Blitzace137; 12-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.

vCash

yea i really hope its just a conditioning issue. I was really excited when we signed him cuz I thought he'd solve our rebounding and shot blocking issues.

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash

Now tell me, does THAT engender YOU with loads of confidence? If it does, great. Let's just say that I'm a skeptic...
    I guess the Raptors staff is in on the conspiracy and/or are bad as well because they missed the injury that has been killing Landrys career for 18 months to sign him to a fat contract .

Or it could just be Landry isn't that good and he just got this nerve condition?

Probably the long and convoluted theory..........isn't that how the saying goes????
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamMelo15 View Post
    He's having a career year shooting behind the arc. That was the one attribute about Brewer that most users stated they felt reluctant in our signing of him. Oh how things change when he's knocking shots down left and right across the board.
    that shot was actually picking up in his last year in chicago I see he has it down packed now

but as I was saying since before the season, we under payed for this guy

vCash
    I can't stand these threads talking about old players and bashing them.
    New York Knicks Pride #2014 IM BACK. LETS GO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast