5th worst wRC+
    11th worst ISO

Out of the last two years....

5th worst wOBA
    2nd worst wRC+
    6th worst ISO
    10th worst OBP
    6th worst SLG

His bat is literally...awful. His glove is beautiful. But his bat....sucks. Lets not beat around the bush. I'm not even advocating Watkins. But Barney's bat is garbage.
    Barney's bat could be worse... It could be Dee Gordon's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    That could very well be true, but that still doesn't negate the fact that they traded him away for a mediocre SS prospect. (Not an attack at you)

They could have sold much higher on him this offseason.
    Could they?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Out of all MLB bats who qualified for the batting title, Darwin Barney had:

16th worst OBP
    8th worst wOBA
    9th worst SLG
    5th worst wRC+
    11th worst ISO

Out of the last two years....

5th worst wOBA
    2nd worst wRC+
    6th worst ISO
    10th worst OBP
    6th worst SLG

His bat is literally...awful. His glove is beautiful. But his bat....sucks. Lets not beat around the bush. I'm not even advocating Watkins. But Barney's bat is garbage.
    No doubt, Barney needs to be on a winning team where they can kind of hide his bat. So Theo, can't that **** done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    There are pretty easy glass half full views of Gregorious and Glass half empty views of Bauer that make this deal pretty fair. Case in point:

That being said, I have to wonder if there wasn't better value for Bauer out there, and if that value couldn't have been used to net a SS. I wonder how much Towers likes Barney, and how much more would have to have been included plus Barney to net Bauer.
    I am having a hard time spinning it in any manner that allows me to believe they couldn't have gotten a better return for Bauer.

Even with the noted attitude of Bauer and public addressing of possible issues between him and the org. I think teams would've taken the gamble to give up a good package for him.

At the end of the day the D'Backs should be happy if Didi even becomes as good as Barney.

vCash
    Even with the Choo uncertainty in CF, I do like the Reds in 2013.

vCash
    And someone, don't make a new thread just yet, lets wait for this one to die down.

vCash
    I don't hate them, but they got an awfully magical season out of their pitching last year that isn't likely to repeat itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Could they?
    I don't see how they couldn't have. The kid ranges from the #3-#5 overall prospect in baseball depending on where you look. How does that land onlu a defensive minded SS?

I'm not saying that they would have gotten Justin Upton for him, but the return right here is rather mediocre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrionLannister View Post
    Even with the Choo uncertainty in CF, I do like the Reds in 2013.
    Rotation still leaves much to be desired.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    I am having a hard time spinning it in any manner that allows me to believe they couldn't have gotten a better return for Bauer.

Even with the noted attitude of Bauer and public addressing of possible issues between him and the org. I think teams would've taken the gamble to give up a good package for him.

At the end of the day the D'Backs should be happy if Didi even becomes as good as Barney.
    Getting a SS who has a very good chance to be a solid regular with a decent chance to be more for a great pitching prospect doesn't sound that crazy to me when you consider how bad SS is league wide and AZ's pipeline of young pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Out of all MLB bats who qualified for the batting title, Darwin Barney had:

This sort of selection bias is always kind of tricky because while his bat isn't good, many teams don't have players good enough to give them enough PAs to qualify.

The dead last, worst qualified 3b last season would have been a two-win upgrade over what we had at 3b.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    I don't see how they couldn't have. The kid ranges from the #3-#5 overall prospect in baseball depending on where you look. How does that land onlu a defensive minded SS?

I'm not saying that they would have gotten Justin Upton for him, but the return right here is rather mediocre.
    I don't mean this to sound rude but where the hell are you looking that Bauer is one of the 5 best prospects in baseball right now? He was #9 going into last year on BA's board and he's undoubtedly lost ground after his 2012.

vCash
    Somebody in the MLB forum brought up a good point. Indians added Stubbs and Reynolds to their lineup, so they'll be adding a whole bunch of K's. Now , they just need Adam Dunn and his 222 K last year.
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 12-11-2012 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    This sort of selection bias is always kind of tricky because while his bat isn't good, many teams don't have players good enough to give them enough PAs to qualify.

The dead last, worst qualified 3b last season would have been a two-win upgrade over what we had at 3b.
    And it is tricky....but the point is this: Darwin Barney's bat is awful. There's really no way to argue that a .287 wOBA is anything else. That's really bad.

His glove is awesome. Beautiful. Golden...dare I say? But I just don't see much of a point to say his bat is anything other than really, really, really bad. He's not a bad player. Just his bat is bad.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Somebody in the MLB forum brought up a good point. Indians added Stubbs and Reynolds to their lineup, so they'll be adding a whole bunch of K's. Now , they just need Adam Dunn and his 222 K last year.
    we could trade them a bjax pakage for masterson

Page 79 of 82 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast