Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 61 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Danny Knobler has a brief elaboration on the Grilli signing:

Grilli preferred Pirates. Turned down slightly bigger offers elsewhere to stay.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    this myers debate getting out of hand in terms of pages... maybe make a seperate thread if you only want to talk Royals playoff chances. maybe in the royals forum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    J.P Howells #'s don't exactly thrill me. Declining K rate. A 4.78FIP 4.17xFIP, 3.93BB/9, a completely unsustainable 87% strand rate and a .250 babip. The guy has big time regression written all over him.
    Bullpen pitchers' numbers are open to far more variance than your typical player and FIP numbers are less predictive for them than starters. You're better off actually viewing these guys, though sure he could suck.

For a million bucks or two I'd be willing to find out what coming to the NL Central and the Cubs' overhauled coaching staff can do. Can't stress enough how much I like the name brand, and he's been a quality pen arm for years with the Rays and is still fairly young (though 30 means he's probably got only a year maybe two left).
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-10-2012 at 06:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Bullpen pitchers' numbers are open to far more variance than your typical player and FIP numbers are less predictive for them than starters. You're better off actually viewing these guys, though sure he could suck.

For a million bucks or two I'd be willing to find out what coming to the NL Central and the Cubs' overhauled coaching staff can do.
    I could use 2011 where he was absolutely terrible or we could look at how he was out the entirety of 2010. We could also look at how the value of his fastball has dropped significantly since 2009.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    I could use 2011 where he was absolutely terrible or we could look at how he was out the entirety of 2010. We could also look at how the value of his fastball has dropped significantly since 2009.
    The fastball value could be a matter of command, as he's throwing harder than he did before a TJ surgery in 2010. 2011 would be the year after said surgery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Cubs still looking into bullpen arms... reached out to JP Howell...
    Called it! (well, he was one of five names I listed for the pen)

http://thecubcontrarian.blogspot.com...ough-cubs.html

He's not good, he's not bad either as the second lefty in the pen. I like the idea of him fighting Beliveau for the spot.

Right now, our left-handed pen depth is:

1) Russell
    2) Beliveau
    3) Sinking pit of despair

Howell bumps off No. 3

vCash
    That's a good blog entry, and I like the title.

vCash
    I was just having an interesting conversation with one of my friends - "would you have given up Garza and Shark for the package the rays got?"
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Garza and Shark? I'm leaning toward yes, but that's a really good question. I don't know.

vCash
    Switch Odorizzi for Duffy and I probably would. Thing is then rotation innings are an issue.

I should be more general...upgrade the returning pitchers and I would probably do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I was just having an interesting conversation with one of my friends - "would you have given up Garza and Shark for the package the rays got?"
    Probably couldn't have driven either of them to KC quick enough if they had offered that package as I think that's the best deal you could have gotten for either of them. While it hurts the rotation, you could sign Edwin Jackson, resign the remaining Garza/Shark, and how much worse off would you be? Probably not that much in the rotation, but now you have Will Meyers to add to the OF.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Probably couldn't have driven either of them to KC quick enough if they had offered that package as I think that's the best deal you could have gotten for either of them. While it hurts the rotation, you could sign Edwin Jackson, resign the remaining Garza/Shark, and how much worse off would you be? Probably not that much in the rotation, but now you have Will Meyers to add to the OF.
    Garza and Shark would both go to the Royals
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Not true.
    What he said. Some major league teams and even the Royals don't think Myers is the closet thing there is to a sure thing. People who do are the baseball media and internet sites.
    Last edited by cubswin25; 12-10-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    "Too big, too strong, too fast, too good"

vCash
    I wouldn't give up Garza and shark for that package

vCash
    Wait, are we comparing Shark to Davis here?

Page 61 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast