Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 54 of 82 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 1224
  1. #796
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    965
    vCash
    1500
    At this point you'd have to think Tampa's only interests would be 1B and C. Outside of those two positions they have an absolutely stacked line up.

  2. #797
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,274
    vCash
    1500
    maybe you mean Sori? they still need a DH.

  3. #798
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,172
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well, it's more or less a situation of "did the Royals and the Rays make the best trade for both parties". I'm not as anti-KC for this deal as many, but I have a hard time thinking the Royals couldn't have aimed a little higher than Shields for giving up, essentially, the defacto best hitting prospect in the game, and a few other good, not great assets. Odorizzi isn't amazng, but there's something to be said for a cheap, controlable number 3 SP for 6 years. Meyers a cheap, controlable OF asset who could be the next big thing, as well.

    I like Shields. Davis is alright, though his ability to transition back to the rotation is pure speculation right now. But Shields is 30, and while that's not old, he's not "young", as if he were in his mid 20's and someone you could count on for a decade. He's also under control for two years....but that's only two years.

    I think it's very easy to see "Rays, prospects and Dayton Moore" and determine straight out this deal was a clear lose for the Royals, as much as that's not the case. But again, I think the Rays won this deal to an extent, and I think the Royals could have done a little more with those assets.
    I'm right on par with you. If I was Moore and just had to have a SP, I would have gone to several other teams with Myers before this one. I hope he at least tried to grab Skaggs, Anderson, Wheeler.. Those types of arms first before going with Shields.

  4. #799
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16,888
    vCash
    1500
    Oh daaaaaamn. Nicely done Tampa even if Myers loses some of his shine on a callup.

    The Royals apparently did try other teams for Myers - Anderson for Myers I think is the specific one reported. Shot down.

  5. #800
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    33,940
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Oh daaaaaamn. Nicely done Tampa even if Myers loses some of his shine on a callup.

    The Royals apparently did try other teams for Myers - Anderson for Myers I think is the specific one reported. Shot down.
    I dont believe that one at all. Anderson hasnt pitched more than 100 innings since 2010. I cant see Beane turning down the Minor League POY for that.

    Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

  6. #801
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16,888
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    I dont believe that one at all. Anderson hasnt pitched more than 100 innings since 2010. I cant see Beane turning down the Minor League POY for that.
    I could. Anderson when healthy is a power left handed TOR arm making a mere 5 million and still under team control after that. Myers is a minor league POY and top prospect.

    No one finds it a little damning that despite all the hype the Royals have been shopping Myers for a while now? Keep in mind that the Royals' hitting prospects are put into some really nice hitting environments at the minor league level, including Omaha. Hosmer almost hit .450 (.439) there in the short time he was there and he's had some struggles in the majors. Sometimes these guys aren't the slam dunks they're crowned to be.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-10-2012 at 11:18 AM.

  7. #802
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,172
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Oh daaaaaamn. Nicely done Tampa even if Myers loses some of his shine on a callup.

    The Royals apparently did try other teams for Myers - Anderson for Myers I think is the specific one reported. Shot down.
    Ahh ok. That makes sense. If thats the case Moore was obviously trying differen't avenues as well.

  8. #803
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,543
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    On another note I don't know if this helps or hurts Tampa Bay's pursuit of Barney.
    Is KC interested in Barney? Or is it likely he's our 2B on Opening Day?

  9. #804
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    811
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well, it's more or less a situation of "did the Royals and the Rays make the best trade for both parties". I'm not as anti-KC for this deal as many, but I have a hard time thinking the Royals couldn't have aimed a little higher than Shields for giving up, essentially, the defacto best hitting prospect in the game, and a few other good, not great assets. Odorizzi isn't amazng, but there's something to be said for a cheap, controlable number 3 SP for 6 years. Meyers a cheap, controlable OF asset who could be the next big thing, as well.

    I like Shields. Davis is alright, though his ability to transition back to the rotation is pure speculation right now. But Shields is 30, and while that's not old, he's not "young", as if he were in his mid 20's and someone you could count on for a decade. He's also under control for two years....but that's only two years.

    I think it's very easy to see "Rays, prospects and Dayton Moore" and determine straight out this deal was a clear lose for the Royals, as much as that's not the case. But again, I think the Rays won this deal to an extent, and I think the Royals could have done a little more with those assets.
    That is if you think Odorizzi is a #3. I don't. I'm in ABTY's camp on that. I've seen him pitch in AAA several times. I think ABTY's Chris Archer-lite is a good comp.

    As for the Royals, you can argue it was an overpay, but where else are they going to go? Who else was available? I know some of you will say, you still don't overpay, you just hold him, but it isn't that cut-and-dry. ABTY can correct me if I'm wrong, but living in Royals country, the vibe amongst the Royals FO is that this team is a couple good pitchers away from competing - RIGHT NOW. The Royals have been shopping for a "cheap" TOR arm for several years. Right now Shields was the only one available. I know some will say you still don't overpay, but the Royals have been horrible for two decades. They honestly believe they can comepete in the next year or two. This gives them a TOR arm for that window.

    Everyone can talk about overpaying and they should have held onto Myers for soemthing better, but what if nothing better comes along? Yes, adding Myers would help the lineup, but it still doesn't address the biggest thing holding the Royals back. Adding Sheilds, Davis, and some other pieces they are still working on does. Plus, with what starting pitching is going for on the market, a reasonably-priced TOR starter is a good fit for a team that can't field a $150 million payroll.

    I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but if I was the Royals, I'd probably have done the trade as well. Most of you aren't looking at it through the Royals (fans and management's) eyes. The Royals feel that they are at that stage that we (the Cubs) are waiting to get to: Good young core, need a couple key players to put them over the top. However, unlike the Cubs, the Royals can't afford to address their biggest weakness in the FA market when their moment has arrived. Was it a steep price? Absolutely. But considering where the Royals feel they are, and the limits they are under financially, they don't have a whole lot of options.

  10. #805
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    811
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    I'm right on par with you. If I was Moore and just had to have a SP, I would have gone to several other teams with Myers before this one. I hope he at least tried to grab Skaggs, Anderson, Wheeler.. Those types of arms first before going with Shields.
    They've been trying to acquire TOR arm for 2 years. It isn't like they jumped at the first deal available.

  11. #806
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,077
    vCash
    1400
    I give the Royals credit for 'going for it', at least as much as the Royals can. I'm not sold on the assumed bounce back for their offense, but keeping Luke Hochevar from getting 30+ starts alone makes them a better team immediately. In the end, I see them battling for second in the worst division baseball for a couple years, while Myers+ helps Tampa batlle for first in one of the best.

  12. #807
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    16,888
    vCash
    1500
    To think that one year ago the aces of the Royals were Bruce Chen and Luke Hochevar.

  13. #808
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,148
    vCash
    1500
    Here's the latest being reported on the megadeal front: The Rays and Royals have talked about a swap of Minor League Player of the Year Wil Myers for veteran right-hander James Shields. The deal would be a win for Tampa Bay, given Shields offers two years of team control to Myers's six, Myers is a righty-swinging power bat who'd fit perfectly in an outfield down a man with B.J. Upton gone, and the swap would free up $10 million in salary that the Rays could use to pursue another bat, which could help defray the impact of playing banjo hitter James Loney at first. In return, the Royals would get the pitcher with the fifth-most innings pitched over the past six seasons, a durable starter good enough to be on the fringes of Cy Young discussion in 2011. But as with any Rays pitcher, you have to ask how he'd fare outside of Tampa Bay, since Tropicana Field is one of the friendliest pitchers' parks in the game, and the defense behind each pitcher is usually spectacular (every year of the past half-decade except 2012, anyway). Though there can be mitigating factors beyond the obvious to explain big home/road splits, Shields's career road ERA (4.54) being more than a run higher than his home ERA (3.33) is a bit unnerving for a team that might soon trade away the best hitting prospect on the planet. This is the curse of teams crying poverty: The Royals could potentially have an above-average starting pitcher and retain a potential franchise player in Myers if they simply opened their wallet for Sanchez or Edwin Jackson, both of whom might not make much more than Shields over the next two seasons (though they'd likely require several more years of team commitment to get them signed).
    This was posted before the trade actually went down but it sums up my feelings on that trade pretty well.

  14. #809
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    965
    vCash
    1500
    It's not like adding Shields made the Royals pitching staff good. Guthrie is still a back of the rotation #5 type, Santana's only decent year of his career was 2011 when his xFIP was still 4.00, Wade Davis has never had a FIP or xFIP below 4.5 as a starter. They don't have a single guy on that staff other than Shields who qualifies as a #3 or better. If the Royals had just added Odorizzi to the rotation and got rid of Francouer in favor of Myers the effect on their record probably would have been similar and at least they'd have both of them under control for the next 6 years cheaply. So now what we're left with is the Royals trying to win with a below average rotation in the next 2 years while greatly depleting their future and their trade chips.

  15. #810
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    4,819
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I could. Anderson when healthy is a power left handed TOR arm making a mere 5 million and still under team control after that. Myers is a minor league POY and top prospect.

    No one finds it a little damning that despite all the hype the Royals have been shopping Myers for a while now? Keep in mind that the Royals' hitting prospects are put into some really nice hitting environments at the minor league level, including Omaha. Hosmer almost hit .450 (.439) there in the short time he was there and he's had some struggles in the majors. Sometimes these guys aren't the slam dunks they're crowned to be.
    I would have done it. The A's have a lot of quality pitchers on their staff, plus pitching depth in their farm and Anderson would have made sense for Myers. All they would have lost was an injury ridden pitcher who still has upside for a power hitting LF/RF with cost control.

Page 54 of 82 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •