Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    vCash
    What's mind boggling to me is that the Rays got back an all-star caliber outfielder and minor league talent that could soon be every bit as good as the pitchers they sent away (and a lot cheaper). This is exactly the kind of trade the Rays needed as their farm system is starting to thin out. I don't see how people can not like this deal for the Rays. All they need is a parade of cheap arms to pitch in front of their defense and in their stadium. 6 seasons of a cost controlled Myers could be incredibly valuable on its own.

It just feels like the Rays knew that Moore was desperate and they fleeced him for two of his best nearly MLB ready pitchers. There was definitely more value going in the direction of the Rays in terms of affordability and talent.

Also, it probably means Fancouer's job is safe and they might need to trade Butler to save some money.
    Last edited by terencem; 12-10-2012 at 09:44 AM.

vCash
    Odorizzi and Montgomery are not that impressive. The Rays made this deal for Myers much moreso than a couple of BOR arms, one who is a big fixer upper.

vCash
    Doesn't it seem like the buyer giving up Precious Prospects is always unanimously considered the loser in these trades? I can't remember the last time it went another way in Internet post-trade reaction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Doesn't it seem like the buyer giving up Precious Prospects is always unanimously considered the loser in these trades? I can't remember the last time it went another way in Internet post-trade reaction.
    Well, it's more or less a situation of "did the Royals and the Rays make the best trade for both parties". I'm not as anti-KC for this deal as many, but I have a hard time thinking the Royals couldn't have aimed a little higher than Shields for giving up, essentially, the defacto best hitting prospect in the game, and a few other good, not great assets. Odorizzi isn't amazng, but there's something to be said for a cheap, controlable number 3 SP for 6 years. Meyers a cheap, controlable OF asset who could be the next big thing, as well.

I like Shields. Davis is alright, though his ability to transition back to the rotation is pure speculation right now. But Shields is 30, and while that's not old, he's not "young", as if he were in his mid 20's and someone you could count on for a decade. He's also under control for two years....but that's only two years.

I think it's very easy to see "Rays, prospects and Dayton Moore" and determine straight out this deal was a clear lose for the Royals, as much as that's not the case. But again, I think the Rays won this deal to an extent, and I think the Royals could have done a little more with those assets.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Did anyone catch the tidbit from Jeff Passan on Twitter saying that the Royals offered Oakland Wil Myers straight up for Brett Anderson and Oakland rejected it? I honestly don't believe that at all. I don't think KC would offer that and I don't think Oakland would reject it if they did.
    Last edited by Cubsfan365; 12-10-2012 at 10:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well, it's more or less a situation of "did the Royals and the Rays make the best trade for both parties". I'm not as anti-KC for this deal as many, but I have a hard time thinking the Royals couldn't have aimed a little higher than Shields for giving up, essentially, the defacto best hitting prospect in the game, and a few other good, not great assets. Odorizzi isn't amazng, but there's something to be said for a cheap, controlable number 3 SP for 6 years. Meyers a cheap, controlable OF asset who could be the next big thing, as well.

I like Shields. Davis is alright, though his ability to transition back to the rotation is pure speculation right now. But Shields is 30, and while that's not old, he's not "young", as if he were in his mid 20's and someone you could count on for a decade. He's also under control for two years....but that's only two years.

I think it's very easy to see "Rays, prospects and Dayton Moore" and determine straight out this deal was a clear lose for the Royals, as much as that's not the case. But again, I think the Rays won this deal to an extent, and I think the Royals could have done a little more with those assets.
    I look at it this way....I can spin the trade for the Royals side, but for Tampa it was an absolute slam dunk. Especially considering their pitching depth.

I'm rooting for the Royals though. They deserve this to work out for them, but doesn't it feel like one of those trades where Shields gets hurt, Davis scuffles in the rotation while Myers becomes a perennial MVP candidate, Odirizzi becomes the best pitcher in the deal and the other guys become helpful organizational pieces.

vCash
    Just putting Myers in RF in place of Francouer and plugging Odorizzi in the 5 spot could have net them around the same amount of wins as placing Shields in the rotation. I don't really understand this trade from the Royals point of view at all. I think Myers alone should have gotten the Royals Shields.

vCash
    On another note I don't know if this helps or hurts Tampa Bay's pursuit of Barney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    I look at it this way....I can spin the trade for the Royals side, but for Tampa it was an absolute slam dunk. Especially considering their pitching depth.

I'm rooting for the Royals though. They deserve this to work out for them, but doesn't it feel like one of those trades where Shields gets hurt, Davis scuffles in the rotation while Myers becomes a perennial MVP candidate, Odirizzi becomes the best pitcher in the deal and the other guys become helpful organizational pieces.
    The above bold is about the best summation of the trade I've read yet. You can spin this for the Royals...but you're right, there's almost no way to slice it for Tampa Bay where this wasn't a slam dunk.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    On another note I don't know if this helps or hurts Tampa Bay's pursuit of Barney.
    Insert "Meyers for Barney" obligatory post.

Good. Now that we got that out of the way.....
    #WhyNot?

vCash
    I figured it would hurt, as Myers could push Zobrist to the infield full time.

vCash
    Zobrist at SS THO?

vCash
    ^They have Escobar.

vCash
    Likely takes them out of it. Zobrist shifts to 2B, Myers RF, Joyce LF, Jennings CF. Plus they already dealt for Escobar at man SS.

vCash
    they got escobar

Edit: beat me to it

Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast