Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 50 of 82 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I would assume this leaves the Rangers as the primary "out in the cold" AL trade candidate.

Jill Garvey <3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I see both positives and negatives in this for the Cubs. On one hand, this establishes a good starting point for Garza negotiations when they resume. On the other, the Rays pillaging of KC's farm system leaves one less suitor. Miami already took off with some of Toronto's. Where does this leave us?
    This trade is incomparable to Garza. Shields still has 1 more year of team control compared to Garza. I believe Wade Davis, without confirming, has an additional year of team control. Tampa was able to land such a lucrative deal because of these factors.

If anything, this limits the market for Garza coming off a season ending injury and entering free agency come 2014. I see no positives, unfortunately (not to sound like BB).

vCash
    I fail to see what you guys are so shocked by to be honest... IMHO, you guys over completely overvaluing the additional pieces the Royals gave up and undervaluing not only the two years of Shields but also the type of plus impact Wade Davis is likely to have as well.

The Royals have a plus group of position players: plus at catcher, 1B, SS, 3B, LF and DH. Potentially, league average at 2B with only CF and RF being liabilities and only offensively does even that hold true (argue that Lorenzo Cain still has enough to produce at a league average rate while Frenchy has already once in a Royals uniform produced at a plus offensive rate). Solidifing their rotation makes this team, IMO, every bit as talented as the Tigers and right there to win this division.

Not going any further on this in here... will say however that the Royals have now cemented that they are going all in here- getting David DeJesus back from the Cubs would be an inexpensive way to really push this line-up to the next level. DeJesus would push Gordon down to the two hole and offer the perfect platoon partner for Frenchy and/or Cain. I know KC is willing to move either Crow or Holland for fair value, personally I'd take either for DeJesus with possibly a little filler both ways...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRtH_SiDeR_10_ View Post
    It's pretty shocking we couldn't swing a deal even half of this for Garza when his value was just as high. The Rays front office is just.......
    THIS. I immediately thought "could we have got Myers for Garza?"

vCash
    That's an offense that was 12th in the AL in run-scoring last year. There's some upside, sure, but it still looks like an 81-win team to me. Not that that's a bad thing, but it dosen't justify the sort of premium they just paid imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    That's an offense that was 12th in the AL in run-scoring last year. There's some upside, sure, but it still looks like an 81-win team to me. Not that that's a bad thing, but it dosen't justify the sort of premium they just paid imo.
    An extreme down year from Hosmer (injury) and most of the year without Perez while Frenchy was god awful most of the year... not exactly a fair assessment...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    So why not just let Myers come in and give you as big of a boost over your current OF as Shields give you over whoever just got bumped?

I love the idea for the Royals. The execution just seems like a wicked overpay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    I fail to see what you guys are so shocked by to be honest... IMHO, you guys over completely overvaluing the additional pieces the Royals gave up and undervaluing not only the two years of Shields but also the type of plus impact Wade Davis is likely to have as well.

The Royals have a plus group of position players: plus at catcher, 1B, SS, 3B, LF and DH. Potentially, league average at 2B with only CF and RF being liabilities and only offensively does even that hold true (argue that Lorenzo Cain still has enough to produce at a league average rate while Frenchy has already once in a Royals uniform produced at a plus offensive rate). Solidifing their rotation makes this team, IMO, every bit as talented as the Tigers and right there to win this division.

Not going any further on this in here... will say however that the Royals have now cemented that they are going all in here- getting David DeJesus back from the Cubs would be an inexpensive way to really push this line-up to the next level. DeJesus would push Gordon down to the two hole and offer the perfect platoon partner for Frenchy and/or Cain. I know KC is willing to move either Crow or Holland for fair value, personally I'd take either for DeJesus with possibly a little filler both ways...
    The team control, undoubtedly, played the role in such a package. But this type of package deems worthy of a pitcher greater than just a 4-4.5 win player.

vCash
    So why not just let Myers come in and give you as big of a boost over your current OF as Shields give you over whoever just got bumped?

100%.

The marginal difference Myers cold potentially give you whether now, or next year (since the extra year of team control is such a big factor), can be greater than the pitching difference. Surely Garza would have been gotten for less. Did they really have to give up Ordozzi in addition to Myers too? I just see this as laughable on Moore's part. I'm having a hard time defending this for KC.

vCash
    Crow or Holland for DeJesus would be great. Not sure who I rather have between those 2. I'm guessing Crow would be easier to get since Holland is the closer right? It would be better than signing K Rod/Adams/etc IMO. Cubs can figure out what to do with their CF/RF afterwards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    I see both positives and negatives in this for the Cubs. On one hand, this establishes a good starting point for Garza negotiations when they resume. On the other, the Rays pillaging of KC's farm system leaves one less suitor. Miami already took off with some of Toronto's. Where does this leave us?
    Honestly, I think he's All Star break or extension. I wanted to believe we could deal him right before ST, but I just don't see it.

vCash

Odorizzi and Montgomery are, for all intensive purposes, Chris Archer and Trey McNutt. Leonard is buried behind multiple other 3B/OF spects in the system. Myers is a helluva player, one of my favorites, however people seem to think he'll be Ryan Braun when in all likelihood he'll be closer to Nelson Cruz. (Not a dis, Cruz is fantastic)...

Butler's MLB proven bat and contract made moving him an impossibility for this team, they tried to move Starling instead of Myers but Tampa wouldn't budge... In the end, they dealt two incredibly iffy arms, a Junior Lake-lite level 3B prospect and a major asset for a TORP they couldn't produce themselves and a plus bullpen/swing man that likely will end up being the Royals version of Alexei Ogando.
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRtH_SiDeR_10_ View Post
    100%.

The marginal difference Myers cold potentially give you whether now, or next year (since the extra year of team control is such a big factor), can be greater than the pitching difference. Surely Garza would have been gotten for less. Did they really have to give up Ordozzi in addition to Myers too? I just see this as laughable on Moore's part. I'm having a hard time defending this for KC.
    Odorizzi is not the pitching prospect you seem to think he is...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    You obviously know Royals prospects a ton better than I do, but I don't see a lot of 37-HR minor league seasons on Cruz's prospect resume.

vCash
    Odorizzi is not the pitching prospect you seem to think he is...
    I think it's Montgomery, not Odorizzi who will bounce back with the Rays in a big way.

And honestly, I like this move more from the Rays side simply because of the depth they had available at SP. To get a guy like Myers outside of a Price or Moore deal is an amazing get for them. Yes, it definitely works for the Royals too--I just like it more for the Rays.

Page 50 of 82 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast