Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Extremely closely.

We had a net bWAR of 12, and bWAR scales to 52-win replacement level, so 64 wins. We had a pythagorean record of 65 wins and an actual record of 61 wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    If you take the bWAR of the cubs players while they were on the team last year, how closely does it relate to the teams actual wins? (if you calculated that)
    I would guess the bullpen killed it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Extremely closely.

We had a net bWAR of 12, and bWAR scales to 52-win replacement level, so 64 wins. We had a pythagorean record of 65 wins and an actual record of 61 wins.
    Cool, thanks.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Broken down. I got tired of pasting it in so many different forums and sites so I put it online:

http://thecubcontrarian.blogspot.com...ersion-10.html
    Just read that. I liked most of your support for your reasoning behind a the projection.

Like how you left some upside in Castro, Rizzo and Shark too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Cool, thanks.
    bWAR is nice that way, because it tracks very close to actual run-scoring events and just assigns them to players. For that reason, it's pretty good at describing what happened, but not as good at predicting what will happen in the future.

fWAR, especially for pitchers, is more predictive. If a pitcher gives up 50 runs, but his peripherals said he should have only given up 30 with neutral luck, then fWAR credits him for giving up 30. That makes it very bad at describing what happened, but much better at predicting what will happen in the immediate future.

vCash
    Evan Grant:

Michael Young... has indicated a willingness to accept a trade that will send him to Philadelphia, according to two major league sources.

The deal, however, is still not finalized because of complications around the amount of money involved. Young is not likely to officially waive his no-trade clause without some sort of compensation. The Rangers must also still gain approval of MLB commissioner Bud Selig due to the large amount of cash (more than $10 million) the Rangers are sending Philadelphia. As with all deals, it would not be official until Young passes a physical for Philadelphia.

vCash
    bWAR is nice that way, because it tracks very close to actual run-scoring events and just assigns them to players. For that reason, it's pretty good at describing what happened, but not as good at predicting what will happen in the future.

fWAR, especially for pitchers, is more predictive. If a pitcher gives up 50 runs, but his peripherals said he should have only given up 30 with neutral luck, then fWAR credits him for giving up 30. That makes it very bad at describing what happened, but much better at predicting what will happen in the immediate future.
    Is this you by any chance?

http://thecubcontrarian.blogspot.com...in-infamy.html

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    It is.

How does this sound for the remaining offseason:

Edwin Jackson for deepen the rotation
    Jason Grilli to solidify the bullpen
    Ronny Cedeno as the utility infielder (may be tough to convince him he'll get enough playing time)
    Andreas Torres as the 5th outfielder/CF platoon partner.

vCash
    It is.

How does this sound for the remaining offseason:

Edwin Jackson for deepen the rotation
    Jason Grilli to solidify the bullpen
    Ronny Cedeno as the utility infielder (may be tough to convince him he'll get enough playing time)
    Andreas Torres as the 5th outfielder/CF platoon partner.
    I would like it. Still would want a couples trades in their though from a prospect perspective

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    Obviously it is, and that is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. I feel stupider for having read it.

vCash
    Yeah, I thought about turning that into a whole half-serious schtick, but I just didn't have the juice to keep it going. Now I just use it as a place to dump the insanely long walls of text I would normally put in message board posts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    Our starting lineup/rotation if the season started tomorrow...Over/Under 75 wins?

C Castillo
    1B Rizzo
    2B Barney
    SS Castro
    3B Stewart...
    LF Soriano
    CF DeJesus
    RF Schierholtz

Garza, Shark, Feldman, Baker, Wood
    It would be under because a number of these players will be traded. The real over/under should be how many are traded ? I would set the over/under at 5

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    It would be under because a number of these players will be traded. The real over/under should be how many are traded ? I would set the over/under at 5
    how many did we trade last season?

vCash
    From our original starting 13? Just four, I think.

vCash
    Who has that much time on their hands? I swear some of you guys care more about WAR and debating off-season moves than actually watching the games.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

Page 37 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast