Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter07 View Post
    Posted in another thread:
    It definitely used to be and still is at times. Was completely diluted by a few posters...I think obviously people are impatient and taking their anger out on here. Most everyone bought into this plan when we brought in Theoyer: it wasn't a 1 year plan, in reality it was always going to be a 2 year purge and build. Patience sucks, deal with it. We're Cub fans, not Yankee fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    It definitely used to be and still is at times. Was completely diluted by a few posters...I think obviously people are impatient and taking their anger out on here. Most everyone bought into this plan when we brought in Theoyer: it wasn't a 1 year plan, in reality it was always going to be a 2 year purge and build. Patience sucks, deal with it. We're Cub fans, not Yankee fans.
    I've been arguing against this plan since before it was even the plan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    There's still that nagging matter of him hitting awful in 2011 *before* he reported any pain in his wrist.
    NFL players lie about concussions. Why? To maintain playing time; to maintain job security. Given the slim chances Stewart was given in the MLB, it's entirely possible to think he tried to hide his pain in order to stay on the field. Whether he truly was injured or not during that time, it's factual he had bone spurs in his wrists. His peripherals were far off from his norm, especially his GB rate. I find it hard to believe that a predominantly fly ball hitter suddenly turns into Ryan Theriot without some type of cause.

vCash
    What do you mean we are cubs fans not Yankees fans?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRtH_SiDeR_10_ View Post
    NFL players lie about concussions. Why? To maintain playing time; to maintain job security. Given the slim chances Stewart was given in the MLB, it's entirely possible to think he tried to hide his pain in order to stay on the field. Whether he truly was injured or not during that time, it's factual he had bone spurs in his wrists. His peripherals were far off from his norm, especially his GB rate. I find it hard to believe that a predominantly fly ball hitter suddenly turns into Ryan Theriot without some type of cause.
    So why would he lie about it after the fact? When asked later, he said he first felt it in late July of 2011, long after he'd established he couldn't hit that year.

The peripherals you are talking about are from 2012 and have more to do with the Cubs' changing his swing to try to cut down on K's than his wrist.

vCash
    i cant find it..but wasnt it sveum? or someone that said stweart would consistently put a good show in batting practice? like maybe he just sucked that bad during actual games in hitting and then once again the wrist card? not sayin thats what happened but it wouldnt surprise me if th was the case

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsFanBudMan74 View Post
    i cant find it..but wasnt it sveum? or someone that said stweart would consistently put a good show in batting practice? like maybe he just sucked that bad during actual games in hitting and then once again the wrist card? not sayin thats what happened but it wouldnt surprise me if th was the case
    or, maybe, just maybe, he actually was capable of what he was showing in BP, but when it came time on the field, he just didn't have enough in him. Look at people with back pain (I can speak on this with experience). There are days when I go into work, and can do anything. Then there are days where I go in, and can do nothing at all. Most days it is a constant struggle of the middle. You go in, give it what you have at the start, but the pain just drags you down. Keep in mind that batting practice is completely different from a live game... you aren't trying to catch up to 92 mph fast balls inside (they are usually served up for you).

Welcome back Theriot... and say hello to my little friend...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisjon View Post
    I think strikeouts get glossed over too much by today's stat junkies. A strikeout is not the same as any other out because of situational hitting scenarios.

A player that struggles making contact is going to have less sacrifice flies, less likely to be able to move a runner to 3rd with a groundball to the right side, less likely to be able to use in a hit and run etc. RBI's aren't a great indicator of someone's value but he could easily tack on 10-15 more a season by not striking out so much.
    Anyone that is a fully uptodate stat junky, i.e not two years behind, will tell you the opposite. K's are an ABSURDLY huge focal point of the current stats.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    So why would he lie about it after the fact? When asked later, he said he first felt it in late July of 2011, long after he'd established he couldn't hit that year.

The peripherals you are talking about are from 2012 and have more to do with the Cubs' changing his swing to try to cut down on K's than his wrist.
    If he felt it late in July 2011, and underwent surgery in July 2012, he played with that injury with the Cubs. To say his downed peripherals were a result from tinkering with his swing is not factual. We just don't know if it was from that or a possible injury. Although he was tinkering with his swing, I'd expect his plate discipline to alter too, which it really didn't. We just don't know.

vCash
    If he felt it late in July 2011, and underwent surgery in July 2012, he played with that injury with the Cubs. To say his downed peripherals were a result from tinkering with his swing is not factual. We just don't know if it was from that or a possible injury. Although he was tinkering with his swing, I'd expect his plate discipline to alter too, which it really didn't. We just don't know.
    I remember a quote about him to the effect... He still had wrist discomfort, but he didn't think it would rise to the level to be a problem for him - which he stated in Spring Training last year.

Maybe he tweaked it later on in the year. Maybe he was putting on a tough front thinking he could just tough it out. Maybe it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it bothered him mentally, especially when he wasn't having much success. Who knows. I'm not optimistic for a 180 degree change from him. Wrist injuries can be career enders - and I don't see him having a Pujols like recovery.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I remember a quote about him to the effect... He still had wrist discomfort, but he didn't think it would rise to the level to be a problem for him - which he stated in Spring Training last year.

Maybe he tweaked it later on in the year. Maybe he was putting on a tough front thinking he could just tough it out. Maybe it wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it bothered him mentally, especially when he wasn't having much success. Who knows. I'm not optimistic for a 180 degree change from him. Wrist injuries can be career enders - and I don't see him having a Pujols like recovery.
    http://muskat.mlblogs.com/2012/06/09...th-sore-wrist/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsFanBudMan74 View Post
    well cubbie nation how do you like your 2013 band-aid chicago cubs?
    Looks like a loser to me. Oh well, another summer of misery, another team of misfits, another top pick, then maybe the sun will start shining.

I just want to proudly wear my Cubs stuff around again. I really like baseball, but I guess I'll have to hate it for another year or so.

vCash
    Because we don't have 3 more months before spring training games begin...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    Looks like a loser to me. Oh well, another summer of misery, another team of misfits, another top pick, then maybe the sun will start shining.

I just want to proudly wear my Cubs stuff around again. I really like baseball, but I guess I'll have to hate it for another year or so.
    theo and comp need to check in the california penal leagues an dig up rick vaughn willy mays hays or something

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post

If you can't wear it now, why wear it later? Not that anyone will notice the fact that you wore your jersey with pride even when they sucked. I guess I'm speaking more for me here.

On Stewart, the alternative was valbuena, I'd rather have a 5 digit lottery ticket with a tiny chance of winning than no ticket at all.

Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast