Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    funny misconception, money is not actually made of paper
    G333 are you trying to calm me down...if so it's not working LOL!
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    The more I look at Victorino, the less I like the deal, but I always hate the "you aren't smarter than baseball people" argument.
    shocking
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    funny misconception, money is not actually made of paper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1C0Tw80Fgk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    Isn't it possible that pagan wanted to stay in San Francisco or that he had no interest in Boston? Sometimes things aren't as simple as some make them seem. The red sox needed someone to play the of. Its not a deal to dance in the street over but I don't think its worth *****ing about either.
    I think Pagan got what he should have gotten if you recall our previous discussion on him from last week. I said 10 -11 and most of you were saying he deserved Upton money(NO???) and 8-9 for victorino is what I thought. I am not *****ing but I appluad our FO for not overspending on players coming off a awful year. It makes no sense If I am a QB and I got benched on a good team for a rookie...I am not expecting to break the bank in free agency I want a proove it deal.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

vCash
    I said I would give pagan 52/4 at most. That's not Upton money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    I said I would give pagan 52/4 at most. That's not Upton money
    Yes you did and I said MOST of YOU were saying 4-6 at 15 million...do you recall that 9 pages of Pagan/Victorino/Bourn discussion. At the time you also agreed Pagan was the better player NO???

vCash
    Yeah I don't really like that Victorino deal very much. He should be aided by Fenway, but he's not very good against RHP, and 2011 non-withstanding (likely an outlier), he's looking more and more platoon-y headed forward. That's a good chunk to give a guy, especially considering he's on the wrong side of a platoon split (RHP hitters of a platoon are more valuable given their outnumbers of LHP).

It's not a gross, gross overpay, but it's an overpay and one that Boston probably will look sourly upon sometime. Might as well have signed Swisher or Ross if you're going to pay that to Victorino.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    shocking
    It's brought up so inconsistently. If it's ever brought up by a person who never, ever disagrees with a baseball person, that'd make sense. (Well, not really, because even baseball player disagree).

vCash
    Red Sox line up as of today will have one of Salty, Napoli and Ross at C, either Salty or Nap at 1B, Pedroia at 2B, Iglesias at SS, Middlebrooks at 3B, an OF of Gomes, Ellsbury and Victorino and of course Papi at DH. I guess it's OK but it would look a helluva lot better with Swisher instead of Victorino. Dunno what the thought process is there but whatever. They almost have to sign Sanchez AND Louse to make any of this work and that still leaves me with a 'meh' feeling overall.

Theo left just in time. Unfortunately, their mess is his (understanding Luccino has blood on his hands as well) which makes me wonder: did he 'learn' from his mistakes or is he so afraid of repeating them that he's making a completely different set of mistakes in the process (avoiding plus talent all together)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter07 View Post
    Red Sox line up as of today will have one of Salty, Napoli and Ross at C, either Salty or Nap at 1B, Pedroia at 2B, Iglesias at SS, Middlebrooks at 3B, an OF of Gomes, Ellsbury and Victorino and of course Papi at DH. I guess it's OK but it would look a helluva lot better with Swisher instead of Victorino. Dunno what the thought process is there but whatever. They almost have to sign Sanchez AND Louse to make any of this work and that still leaves me with a 'meh' feeling overall.

Theo left just in time. Unfortunately, their mess is his (understanding Luccino has blood on his hands as well) which makes me wonder: did he 'learn' from his mistakes or is he so afraid of repeating them that he's making a completely different set of mistakes in the process (avoiding plus talent all together)
    1st part: Red Sox are apparently looking at what the O's were able to do with a slightly inferior yet similarly constructed line up. They sign a couple 3/4 types and hope Lester regains his dominant stuff. Look for them to shift to the pen shortly and make significant upgrades.

2nd part: Fair question. Too early to tell IMO. Think this season is the one where come July, you'll start to see a serious asset uptick. From what I'm hearing, they (FO) are still attempting to weed everything out that they feel needs to be before they'll be ready to seriously contend. Also heard that Theo was a bit taken aback by just how much infrastructure work needed to be done and is open to a 2 year extension to compensate for 'lost time'...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    2nd part: Fair question. Too early to tell IMO. Think this season is the one where come July, you'll start to see a serious asset uptick. From what I'm hearing, they (FO) are still attempting to weed everything out that they feel needs to be before they'll be ready to seriously contend. Also heard that Theo was a bit taken aback by just how much infrastructure work needed to be done and is open to a 2 year extension to compensate for 'lost time'...
    That's certainly intriguing. I have very mixed emotions about that.

For one thing, it seems to imply that he plans to leave at the end of his contract rather than do the whole "10-year" thing again. Which makes his original 5-year plan even more perplexing.

For a second thing, screw them. This is competitive baseball. You can't just sit around building your fantasy organization while your team loses a crap-ton of games and get a free pass on it. Well, apparently you can, but you shouldn't.

vCash

For one thing, it seems to imply that he plans to leave at the end of his contract rather than do the whole "10-year" thing again. Which makes his original 5-year plan even more perplexing.
    Felt the same however I was assured it had more to do with putting the Ricketts families mind at ease than anything else... Heard some believe that once Henry sells the Sox (which apparently is more of a when not if) that the lure of going back home and righting his wrongs would be too appealing for Epstein to pass up... I for one tend to believe that as well... Have always had the feeling that Hoyer and McLeod are the long termers here, a feeling I felt was backed up by the signing of Scott Harris whom I've heard is already a guy around baseball that most feel will be the next wunderkind 28/30 year old GM...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    lol a 2 year mulligan

vCash

For a second thing, screw them. This is competitive baseball. You can't just sit around building your fantasy organization while your team loses a crap-ton of games and get a free pass on it. Well, apparently you can, but you shouldn't.
    I'm trying so very hard to not feel the same... so far so good but not sure how long I can hold out...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Felt the same however I was assured it had more to do with putting the Ricketts families mind at ease than anything else... Heard some believe that once Henry sells the Sox (which apparently is more of a when not if) that the lure of going back home and righting his wrongs would be too appealing for Epstein to pass up... I for one tend to believe that as well... Have always had the feeling that Hoyer and McLeod are the long termers here, a feeling I felt was backed up by the signing of Scott Harris whom I've heard is already a guy around baseball that most feel will be the next wunderkind 28/30 year old GM...
    I really hope you're off base here.

And what guarantee is there that the new Red Sox ownership would even take him back.

Seems like a very odd plan for him to have in the back of his mind at this point.

Page 21 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast