Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 317179808182 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1224
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    That always seems to be the assumption. With prospects the possibilities are endless!
    Isn't Didi still a prospect?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Right. Still 2/3rd of the MLB got better. And that's more indicative of how bad the position was as a whole last year.

Sure a few too many "reallys" but I was really just responding to Gato who said something along the lines of his bat being better than awful. The reallys were more for effect.

He's certainly not the problem. So no one take it that way. But his bat sucks.
    My words were that he is competent. OTOH, I do think his bat *is* better than awful, and is fine for what his overall package as a player offers. The standard for awful in this lineup for me is Ian Stewart. Barney's bat, as awful as the numbers may look on paper, does not hurt the Cubs and he's not this super easy guy to replace on the roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Isn't Didi still a prospect?
    From what I am being told to understand, a bad one who is of little to no use -or close to it. Only glove at a premium glove position or something.

vCash
    Oh well looks like a good get for the Tribe and I guess you HAVE to assume Towers got exactly what he wanted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrionLannister View Post
    So guys, any thoughts on the Shark day-night splits or am I making too much of it?
    Too much. He had 8 starts where he had an ERA over 5 in 2012. 4 were on day games, 4 were on night games. It just happened that his 2 worst in June happened to be on day games and he game up 17 ER in 8 IP. Overall his bad day games were 27 ER in 16.2. His bad night games were 17 in 20.2 IP. So basically his bad spilt is due to those 2 games (Mets, Twins)

The more interesting stat is that in the month of June when he has playing around with the curveball he gave up 25 ER in 4 starts, the other 24 starts he gave up 49 ER.

vCash
    From what I am being told to understand, a bad one who is of little to no use -or close to it. Only glove at a premium glove position or something.
    Gato just always goes against what everyone else says.

vCash
    There is very little doubt in my mind they couldn't have done better than Gregorius.

Towers saying he reminded him of a young Derek Jeter when he saw him in the AFL, are you ******** me? Lay off the pipe, Kevin. His bat has huge question marks. A career .699 minor league OPS. Fringe average runner at best. Really all you are getting is glove. And yes, a great one at a premium spot, but there is no way that was the best package for a top 10 (ok top 20 if you think he regressed that much--I don't) prospect in the game. Hell Gregorius wasn't really even on any top 100 radars of note.

EDIT: And is he really even that good defensively to make up for an inept bat? I guess we'll see. I'm definitely glass half empty on him and glass filled with backwash on the trade in general.
    Last edited by cubsbullsbears2; 12-11-2012 at 11:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    Gato just always goes against what everyone else says.
    I'm going by what everyone else said - he's a good defensive, ML ready SS. I probably value that more than most, maybe.

Also, Arizona is a really nice place to hit.

vCash
    If you think this is as good trade for Arizona, then you are Kevin Towers. Everyone else disagrees with you. Towers has set the Diamondbacks back years this off-season. They are not a better team now then they were at this time last season.

This is why I don't like GMs trying to "speed up" the building process. They usually make bad decisions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by terencem View Post
    If you think this is as good trade for Arizona, then you are Kevin Towers. Everyone else disagrees with you. Towers has set the Diamondbacks back years this off-season.
    Decades even, I mean we're talking Trevor Bauer here for a SS who can't hit. A SS who can't hit!

vCash
    Decades even, I mean we're talking Trevor Bauer here for a SS who can't hit. A SS who can't hit!
    This and the Chris Young trade.

vCash
    This and the Chris Young trade.
    Jesus now Chris Young off a knee surgery is a "setting them back years" kind of move?

Man do I love trade reactions...It's always so over the top.

vCash
    Jesus now Chris Young off a knee surgery is a "setting them back years" kind of move?

Man do I love trade reactions...It's always so over the top.
    Usually, when you trade away away young major league caliber players you try to obtain players with similar upside in return.

Just keep building that 'pen, Towers...

vCash
    What's really interesting about these trades to me is how it reminds us that MLB players are not "assets" in the sense of fully fluid, fungible vehicles of value that can be freely converted from one form to the other.

If you have a prospect you view as expendable and you need a starting pitcher or an MLB SS, you can't just trade it in for one of exactly comparable value. You have to find a partner to trade with in a very limited market.

(None of which makes the Royals trade make any more sense, because they also need outfielders)

vCash
    Usually, when you trade away away young major league caliber players you try to obtain players with similar upside in return.

Just keep building that 'pen, Towers...
    Iunno man, bullpens and defense are pretty out there ideas, especially in today's game.

Your first part is well and carefully worded. Props.

Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 317179808182 LastLast