Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    The Rangers are legitimate world series contender as are the Angels. As things stands the Royals are not on that level.
    Sorry to say, on this one I have to utterly disagree with your assessments. Disagree on Odorizzi, disagree on Davis, disagree on how close the Royals are to contending... More talented than the second round Orioles, still have the ability to make additional moves and still have an above average farm. Would love to go position-by-position on the Royals comped to the White Sox and even the (still staggeringly poor defensively with growing pen issues) Tigers... Neither team is really anything overpowering. 85 wins gets this division... This team (which isn't done) can get there right now...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    I fail to see what you guys are so shocked by to be honest... IMHO, you guys over completely overvaluing the additional pieces the Royals gave up and undervaluing not only the two years of Shields but also the type of plus impact Wade Davis is likely to have as well.
    Hear, hear. I've never been a fan of either Odorizzi and Montgomery, both scream BOR pitchers to me. Leonard is a lottery ticket. So what it breaks down to is that K.C. traded their best prospect for two pitchers who should and will improve their pitching. It's a good trade for the Royals.

Would I have made this trade? Prolly not, but it's not nearly as crazy as some people think it is (ie, NSBB).
    Last edited by Bluefire; 12-10-2012 at 02:54 AM.
    Screw sabermetics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Sorry to say, on this one I have to utterly disagree with your assessments. Disagree on Odorizzi, disagree on Davis, disagree on how close the Royals are to contending... More talented than the second round Orioles, still have the ability to make additional moves and still have an above average farm. Would love to go position-by-position on the Royals comped to the White Sox and even the (still staggeringly poor defensively with growing pen issues) Tigers... Neither team is really anything overpowering. 85 wins gets this division... This team (which isn't done) can get there right now...
    I agree I like the Royals better then the Sox and think the division is between them and the Tigers. The Royals have questionmarks and are expecting more then a few guys(Hosmer,Francouer, Moustakas, Santana, Chen and Guthrie overall) to be better overall in 2013. But it's not like the Sox and Tigers don't have plenty of questionmarks either. Talent wise they are right there with those teams. Plus it's not like they can't trade Shields again at some point for a ton in return. If the rest of the rotation ends up struggling or the young hitters don't improve and things don't work out.
    Last edited by cubswin25; 12-10-2012 at 04:59 AM.
    "Too big, too strong, too fast, too good"

vCash
    They should have just kept Myers, traded for Davis, and signed either Lohse or Sanchez. I think they would have been much better off doing that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    They should have just kept Myers, traded for Davis, and signed either Lohse or Sanchez. I think they would have been much better off doing that.
    I agree, but I'm on the "keep your own top prospects" bandwagon. However I wouldn't mind trading a top #1 or #2 guy in our system but it's gotta be for more than 2 years. If I could get an ace pitcher for baez I would first want to work out an extension before I agreed to the terms.

vCash
    I definitely like the idea of trading from their excess of prospects for MLB quality starting pitching and going for a strong 2013 season from the Royals.

And it's true that it's unfair to judge whether or not this move puts the Royals "over the top" or whatever when there's still time for them to make other moves. I don't think they're in that 84+ win projection yet where extra wins become insanely valuable, but they are getting close.

vCash
    I won't ever have a problem trading excess top prospects for great players, but James Shields? The guy is massively overrated in my opinion. I like him, I really do. I know ERA isn't the greatest thing to judge him by but he's had under a 3.00 ERA once in his career, every other year it has been above 3.50.

People aren't shocked because they gave up Myers and Odorizzi, people are shocked that they gave up Myers and Odorizzi for just Shields and Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StrandedCub View Post
    I won't ever have a problem trading excess top prospects for great players, but James Shields? The guy is massively overrated in my opinion. I like him, I really do. I know ERA isn't the greatest thing to judge him by but he's had under a 3.00 ERA once in his career, every other year it has been above 3.50.

People aren't shocked because they gave up Myers and Odorizzi, people are shocked that they gave up Myers and Odorizzi for just Shields and Davis.
    I think thats why Garza wasn't dealt. Theo was probably holding out for a Latos / Shields / Gio package. We all must come to terms that trading for a good starter is going to cost some huge assets.

vCash
    Does this trade help us you think? Shields and Wade is kinda close to Garza and Wood. Can the Cubs now demand a package similar to this? Though the Cubs get pitching primarily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehdcubsfan23 View Post
    Does this trade help us you think? Shields and Wade is kinda close to Garza and Wood. Can the Cubs now demand a package similar to this? Though the Cubs get pitching primarily.
    I don't think we'd get anywhere close to this. Garza is a one year rental and Wood is Davis-lite.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehdcubsfan23 View Post
    Maybe half of that package as Shields has an extra year of control.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    I don't think we'd get anywhere close to this. Garza is a one year rental and Wood is Davis-lite.
    Yeah. Garza's one year left kind of sucks. Forgot about that. Hopefully Wood has a good first half. Would be nice to sell high on him though. Or at least use him in a package.

vCash
    Can you imagine what the Rays could get for Price now??

vCash
    Damn, I liked Davis. I think he's a breakout candidate back in a rotation.

Nice job by the Rays to land Myers. In defense of the Royals, Hosmer is their guy and I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Rangers still going to be looking for a starter...

vCash
    Oh and while I'm not an Odorizzi fan at all, he could do iiiight in the pitcher's paradise that is the Trop. Can't say I don't like this deal for either side, and I love that the Royals are actually making moves to get better at the MLB level.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast