Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm all on board with going after elite talents, but pitchers make me nervous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    I'm all on board with going after elite talents, but pitchers make me nervous.
    That's why we need to grow our own.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    To add to the Choo speculation et al, Jim Bowden shared a few bold predictions for the Winter Meetings, including...

The Cleveland Indians will make more trades than any other team. The Indians are waiting for the top free agents to sign. Once that happens, teams that lose out will be calling them to make deals. The Indians have the highest-quality tradable players currently on the market.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    To add to the Choo speculation et al, Jim Bowden shared a few bold predictions for the Winter Meetings. He said, "The Cleveland Indians will make more trades than any other team."
    Choo and Masterson for Marmol/Soriano/lake

Soriano replaces Hafner we eat the bulk of remaining salary
    Last edited by ABE32; 12-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    That's why we need to grow our own.
    ABE, I'm all for growing home talent but with Price you have the perfect example of a great prospect who worked his way up through a solid organization. In this case they have done the hard work for us and we just buy it via a trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Just curious, how would you alter that deal to include Rizzo?
    Take out Shark, Barney and B-Jax, add Rizzo maybe? Not totally sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TooL D/R/T View Post
    Not sure I'd give up Rizzo and Shark + for Price. That'd leave us with a lot of holes.
    Price is reasonably a 5-win pitcher for the remainder of his current contract. Shark could easily be a 3-win pitcher over the same span. Let's not get crazy about how much surplus value is reasonable to give up to likely improve your rotation by a total of six wins over a three year span.

vCash
    So like Vitters, Rizzo, Baez?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan08 View Post
    ABE, I'm all for growing home talent but with Price you have the perfect example of a great prospect who worked his way up through a solid organization. In this case they have done the hard work for us and we just buy it via a trade.
    I AM ALL FOR ADDING DAVID PRICE/JUSTIN VERLANDER/MATT CAIN/FELIX HERNANDEZ I was just saying we still need to grow our own and hope to develop one of the afore mentioned players.

vCash
    I really don't care about years of control. I care infinitely more about talent. Years is just one part of a package in what a player offers. The Rays value that stuff more than the Cubs should (in this Price case).

vCash
    part of the benefit of a good farm system is to trade those guys or be able to replace who you've traded
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    We're going to need a Winter Meetings thread soon.

By Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal, "Cubs will discuss Soriano; Phils a possible suitor."

Chicago Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano has been available on the trade market at various times over the past several years.

This winter, he might finally be on the move.

The Cubs expect to meet with teams regarding Soriano during the upcoming winter meetings in Nashville, according to major-league sources. It won’t necessarily be easy to deal Soriano, who has a full no-trade clause and is due a total of $36 million over the next two seasons.

Still, the 36-year-old is likely to garner strong interest from teams who need right-handed power, as he is coming off his highest home run total (32) over the past five seasons. The Cubs are willing to include cash in the deal to put Soriano at a more palatable price point. But Soriano may be more valuable than expected, when considering free agent Jonny Gomes, a platoon player for much of his career, just signed a two-year, $10 million contract with the Boston Red Sox.

The Philadelphia Phillies are one obvious fit for Soriano. They are looking for a right-handed outfield bat to replace Hunter Pence, who was dealt to the San Francisco Giants at the July trade deadline. With Pence gone and catcher Carlos Ruiz suspended to begin the season, the Phillies have only one player on their active roster – shortstop Jimmy Rollins – who hit more than 15 home runs in 2012, when Ryan Howard and Chase Utley missed time with injuries.

Soriano’s presence would be a welcome fit for a Philadelphia outfield that currently consists of Darin Ruf, John Mayberry Jr. and Domonic Brown. Soriano totaled an .821 OPS this year while setting a career high with 108 RBI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    So like Vitters, Rizzo, Baez?
    Yeah, I'd do that. Tampa would at least have to think about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaclown View Post
    Yeah, I'd do that. Tampa would at least have to think about it.
    I doubt Tampa takes that deal for Price.

vCash
    I was wondering when the Soriano speculation could start up. It really leaves us needing power, if he's dealt for the upcoming season. If we paid the vast majority of his contract though, I honestly think we'll get a surprisingly good return.

Page 4 of 82 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast