Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

We should go get Brian Wilson

He got non-tendered.

I would love to bring him in on an incentive-laden deal with a low-base salary of around $3M like the Angels did with Ryan Madson. I think he would generate more interest in the Mets, and he's still a great closer.

That would mean less pressure on Parnell, and the young guys we are likely to put in the pen next year.

vCash
    Yeah he could be a great signing with a similar deal to Madsons.

The only thing that concerns me is that his TJ surgery last year was the second one in his career.

Either way he could be a very nice surprise for us (if and when FF decides to suck next year) and on a side note i have to say i love the beard.

I hope he continually grows it so he starts to look like a character from Lord of the Rings.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-01-2012 at 01:25 AM.

vCash
    YES. Please sign him Sandy!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yeah he could be a great signing with a similar deal to Madsons.

The only thing that concerns me is that his TJ surgery last year was the second one in his career.

Either way he could be a very nice surprise for us (if and when FF decides to suck next year) and on a side note i have to say i love the beard.

I hope he continually grows it so he starts to look like a character from Lord of the Rings.
    Yeah, it's a concern, but that's why it would be an incentive laden deal instead of a huge guaranteed deal.

I'm ALL for this. Got really excited when I heard this. Speculation is that he could be headed to the Dodgers or Red Sox, but I also see the Mets, Tigers, Rangers, and Blue Jays in play for him.

www.DailyStache.net You Gotta Believe
    R.I.P UAPeople

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsLegacy View Post
    Yeah, it's a concern, but that's why it would be an incentive laden deal instead of a huge guaranteed deal.

I'm ALL for this. Got really excited when I heard this. Speculation is that he could be headed to the Dodgers or Red Sox, but I also see the Mets, Tigers, Rangers, and Blue Jays in play for him.
    Well that's the only deal he will be in play for this year.

Madson still got 3.5 million without incentives though from the Angels so they have to be sure Wilson can be ready for the beginning of next season (which he should be considering how quickly guys come back from TJ surgery nowadays)

Either way i believe it could be a huge signing for us given that he is an immensely better closer than Frank Francisco.

vCash
    Why not, he's had several great years, you can prob get him on a 2-3 yr. deal. It makes a lot of sense.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Why not, he's had several great years, you can prob get him on a 2-3 yr. deal. It makes a lot of sense.
    He'll probably only take a 1 year deal to re-establish his FA value after next season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-01-2012 at 03:18 AM.

vCash
    Yes, this would be a KILLER move for the Mets, as long as it doesn't cost us a shot at one of the legit FA outfielders

I think YS's 3Million base salary offer is a bit high, put together a nice package of incentives with a base of 1.5-1.75Million that can go up to 4 maybe 5 Million when certain goals are reached.

If he pitches well perhaps we extend him a 3yr contract in 2014, when we will allegedly have some significant cash to spend

However I think just adding him as a "name" this year will put some butts in the seats,which will also bode well for the financial picture of 2014 he's an exciting closer when he's "On" Seeing R A Dickey handing the 9th to Wilson...yeah that would get me back to Citi, albeit via stub hub lol

The real question is...will the chicken spit(not the word I want to use lol) Wilpons take the plunge?

vCash
    His stupidity could also generate revenue.

vCash
    The first thing I thought of when I saw the Giants cut him loose, was to roll my eyes in thought at all the threads here stating to pick him up.

But then I started to think on it. The reason that was given for the Giants to cut him loose was worry over a failed TJ surgery. If this is the case it should be easy to talk to the doctors who performed the surgery, see if there was any set backs, and then make an intelligent decision.

With this type of concern over his head...no team will likely give him a guaranteed deal. But there will be teams lining around the block to give him incentive deals, minor league deals, what have you. The more I thought about it, and if Wilson is willing to start at a bargain rate deal...it would be wise for the Mets to take a chance. Now if it turns out that the concerns are true, it wouldn't be a huge hit to simply get rid of him.

But I feel this comes down to what Wilson would be willing to settle for, and what other teams are out there that would give in to high demands for him...if he has them. For the Mets it makes sense. For Wilson...who knows yet.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    The first thing I thought of when I saw the Giants cut him loose, was to roll my eyes in thought at all the threads here stating to pick him up.

But then I started to think on it. The reason that was given for the Giants to cut him loose was worry over a failed TJ surgery. If this is the case it should be easy to talk to the doctors who performed the surgery, see if there was any set backs, and then make an intelligent decision.

With this type of concern over his head...no team will likely give him a guaranteed deal. But there will be teams lining around the block to give him incentive deals, minor league deals, what have you. The more I thought about it, and if Wilson is willing to start at a bargain rate deal...it would be wise for the Mets to take a chance. Now if it turns out that the concerns are true, it wouldn't be a huge hit to simply get rid of him.

But I feel this comes down to what Wilson would be willing to settle for, and what other teams are out there that would give in to high demands for him...if he has them. For the Mets it makes sense. For Wilson...who knows yet.
    Money and the surgery go hand in hand. The Giants are reticent to having to pay him at least $6.8 million following surgery. Better to non-tender him and try and reach an agreement at a substantially lower number, or let Weird Beard fly elsewhere and have another team assume the risk.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    please remeber the last great closer we signed bust

vCash
    I definitely think the Mets should go for Wilson.

1. Your bullpen is TERRIBLE!
    2. He's actually good
    3. He's an instant fan favorite (fear the beard) and he'll put people in the park
    4. You can easily afford him

vCash
    He would be great for them. I'd like to know what his actual value is, meaning how much revenue he brings in alone, because people love him

vCash
    New Dodger ownership, flush with cash, and strong interest in righting the ship will outbid any other interested teams. Not to mention, LA is his best realistic chance to be on a playoff team and bump his value for a long term deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast