Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Angels Interested in Dickey?

Jason Evans of halohangout.com asks "Should the Angels Go After R.A. Dickey"

http://halohangout.com/2012/11/28/sh...er-r-a-dickey/

He goes on to suggest a trade of Dickey for Mark Trumbo, Hank Conger and Michael Kohn, saying we should try Trumbo in the outfield. My first reaction was to reject it outright because I thought "we don't need another first baseman fumbling around in the outfield", Conger hasn't shown anything yet and Kohn is coming off TJ surgery.

On second thought, however, I concluded that it might be a major opportunity for the Mets. Trumbo is certainly a first rate first baseman. I wonder if the Marlins might consider a deal involving Trumbo as the main attraction. Like

Trumbo, Familia, Den Dekker, Tapia, Marte and Ceciliani for Giancarlo Stanton oops, did I say Giovanni? My bad.

Putting Trumbo at 1B would allow them to get Logan Morrison back in the outfield. Familia could either start or fill out their pen. And the others could help them further strengthen their farm system, since they are going to have great difficulty attracting free agents over the next several years. Hmmmmm I wonder.
    Last edited by dunbummin; 12-01-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I'm really confused.

vCash
    I think you need some elite prospects to get Stanton (assuming you mean Giancarlo and not Giovanni). Not Trumbo and those guys.

And Logan Morrison is a much better 1b than he is an OF. He too was a "1b fumbling around in the OF". So allowing them to get Morrison back into the OF isn't a good thing (well it is a good thing for the Mets...but wouldn't be a good thing for the Fish)

vCash
    You are not the only one.

vCash
    Don't doubt dipoto. He has a quick trigger finger.

vCash
    Now that we're not rebuilding, I'd pass on this, since the only legit guy we'd get is Bourjos.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Dream!

IF we got Trumbo.... it'd be more like Trumbo+Wheeler to get Stanton.

vCash
    Dickey for Trout

Get it done Omar!!!!!!!!!11

vCash
    Please, please don't get rid of Dickey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman2424 View Post
    Please, please don't get rid of Dickey.
    All the joking aside with trades. You have to be open minded. The only way SA is dealing Dickey is with a trade too good to pass up. Which would benefit the Mets. Dickey, Cy Young or not, is not untouchable.

But I don't believe Trumbo + 2 dung heaps gets it done.

vCash
    if the Angels would consider this there is no doubt the Mets should pull the trigger. I am a lifelong Mets fan but live in Anaheim now. Trumbo would add a huge amount of power from the right side which we really could use. He has played a decent left field as well. Only two years in the majors and 30 home runs each year.

vCash
    Trumbo is interesting because he is only 26, has a lot of power and hits for a decent enough average. That said he strikes out a lot and would have to be in LF since he isnt usurping Ike at first. We would need a good defensive CF to cover up some of Trumbo's probable deficiencies on D.

If we could get Trumbo and Bourjos though, it would be a whole diffferent story. Suddenly you add a power bat to the middle of the lineup and a very good defensive CF with speed for days at the top of the lineup. Thats a deal that with maybe one of Cogner or Kohn thrown in I would certainly do.

CF-Bourjos
    2B-Murphy
    3B-Wright
    1B-Ike
    LF-Trumbo
    RF-Kirk/Duda
    SS-Tejada
    C-Thole/Cogner

It could have potential. And with Trumbo and Bourjos still on cheap deal I believe, you dont eat up space so maybe you could go out and sign Cody Ross for RF and have Duda as a fourth OF. That would be a MAJOR upgrade to the OF and the lineup. Very interesting idea here

EDIT: Thinking on it, to get Bourjos as well you probably would have to give the Angels another OFer to slot in their lineup. Maybe The Captain to play CF for them. Regardless, if you can get Trumbo in a deal for Dickey, provided the rest of the guys coming back are solid and fill needs, Id do it
    Last edited by lvlheaded; 12-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    Its a pipe-dream but if we can land Trumbo + Bourjos for Dickey and lets say Tapia or Montero and Duda (So-Cal guy who can replace Trumbo) or something that'd be great.

After that sign A.J. Pierzynksi, Pedro Feliciano and Brian Wilson and we are suddenly contenders.

CF - Bourjos
    SS - Tejada
    3B - Wright
    LF - Trumbo
    1B - Davis
    C - Pierzynski
    2B - Murphy
    RF - Valdespin/Kirk

Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee
    Wheeler

That with $40M+ coming off the books the following season. One can dream...although there's no reason why any of this can't be a reality (from a financial standpoint anyway)

vCash
    ESPN's Buster Olney writes:

The Mets increased their offer to R.A. Dickey, but it's unclear whether it's close enough to what Dickey seeks in a two-year deal. The Mets were stunned by Andy Pettitte's one-year, $12 million deal, coming off a year in which he made 12 starts -- and, in a strange way, Pettitte is a comparable for Dickey because of his age. If Pettitte is getting $12 million now, what is Dickey's market value after a season in which he won the Cy Young Award?
    -- adam rubin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    Trumbo is interesting because he is only 26, has a lot of power and hits for a decent enough average. That said he strikes out a lot and would have to be in LF since he isnt usurping Ike at first. We would need a good defensive CF to cover up some of Trumbo's probable deficiencies on D.

If we could get Trumbo and Bourjos though, it would be a whole diffferent story. Suddenly you add a power bat to the middle of the lineup and a very good defensive CF with speed for days at the top of the lineup. Thats a deal that with maybe one of Cogner or Kohn thrown in I would certainly do.

CF-Bourjos
    2B-Murphy
    3B-Wright
    1B-Ike
    LF-Trumbo
    RF-Kirk/Duda
    SS-Tejada
    C-Thole/Cogner

It could have potential. And with Trumbo and Bourjos still on cheap deal I believe, you dont eat up space so maybe you could go out and sign Cody Ross for RF and have Duda as a fourth OF. That would be a MAJOR upgrade to the OF and the lineup. Very interesting idea here

EDIT: Thinking on it, to get Bourjos as well you probably would have to give the Angels another OFer to slot in their lineup. Maybe The Captain to play CF for them. Regardless, if you can get Trumbo in a deal for Dickey, provided the rest of the guys coming back are solid and fill needs, Id do it
    Trumbo, Bourjos and Conger (if the Angels would do it) would be a great package for Dickey and a prospect. Maybe Den Dekker, although the Halos already have a pretty good Plan B for center field in Kole Calhoun. In 3 minor league seasons Calhoun's slash line is .309/.396/.525/.920 and he has a good glove and some speed in CF. Matter of fact, on second thought I'd ask for Calhoun, who is a year younger and under team control through 2019, rather than Bourjos.

I don't think I'd want Duda in RF if I had Trumbo in LF. But an ouutfield of Trumbo-Calhoun-Nieuwenhuis/Hairston (as a platoon, maybe) would be quite formidable.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast