Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    If last year is any indication, Oswalt is only willing to sign with a couple of teams like St. Louis and other teams close to where he lives.

As for Marcum, if we're to believe Jeff Blair, Anthopoulos didn't really want Marcum here the first time around because of off-field issues that concerned him (AA) and is unlikely to pursue him this time around.

I personally think that the better former Blue Jay (for about an hour) to target is Edwin Jackson. It might be splashier and more expensive than a guy like Oswalt or Marcum, but he's in his prime (only 29 years old) and coming off of a very solid year in Washington.
    I didn't hear this. Do you care to elaborate on what his off field issues were? Marcum never struck me as that type of guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    I didn't hear this. Do you care to elaborate on what his off field issues were? Marcum never struck me as that type of guy.
    It wasn't so much a personality issue as he was well liked, I believe Blair was mentioning conditioning and alcohol. It was a few weeks ago, iirc, like a day or 2 after Marcum was a guest on his show and said he'd be open to returning to Toronto.
    Last edited by mtf; 12-01-2012 at 12:58 PM.

vCash
    It wasn't so much a personality issue as he was well liked, I believe Blair was mentioning conditioning and alcohol. It was a few weeks ago, iirc, like a day or 2 after Marcum was a guest on his show and said he'd be open to returning to Toronto.
    Crap. I keep in shape with alcohol. Is there some newage study that indicates boozercize doesn't work?

vCash
    “Ah… there are extenuating circumstances with Shaun Marcum– no chance that he’s back here,” he explained. “I think the Blue Jays thought that there were some things going on in the clubhouse when he was there that they didn’t necessarily like. Shaun Marcum is definitely not coming back here, not as long as Alex Anthopoulos is General Manager, put it that way.”
    I think the boozing specifically was just speculation based on this interview, but yeah, there was obviously something there that he couldn't say on the radio.

vCash
    Ah, well that makes more sense. He does come off as a bit of a boozer

http://mopupduty.com/wp-content/uplo...aun-marcum.jpg

Now the straight up for Lawrie swap makes even more sense...

vCash
    So much wrong with that picture. I'd have traded him based on that alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Is that eyeliner he's wearing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    Crap. I keep in shape with alcohol. Is there some newage study that indicates boozercize doesn't work?
    I didn't like the 2 directly when talking about Marcum but yes, boozercize is a great option for you specifically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    He be

You never know things could have changed, rehab?... Hamilton is a drug addict and most people on here are drooling to get him signed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    He be

You never know things could have changed, rehab?... Hamilton is a drug addict and most people on here are drooling to get him signed.
    Well, I don't know that I'd agree with you that most people here are campaigning for Hamilton to be signed by the Blue Jays.

Assuming you're right about that, do you think there's a difference between Hamilton and Marcum in terms of skill level and fulfilling a need on the Blue Jays roster?

Hamilton is a much needed left handed power bat. Putting him between Bautista and Encarnacion would make for the most balanced and potent 3-4-5 combination in baseball. Hamilton's addiction problems are what puts him reasonably in the Blue Jays price range and term restrictions. Because the Blue Jays draft 10th overall in 2013, it's protected against forfeiting it when signing top free agents.

Marcum would likely be the 4th or 5th starter and if he doesn't put in the effort to keep himself well conditioned, (not my accusation) then why would they want to take the risk on him?

vCash
    Well, I don't know that I'd agree with you that most people here are campaigning for Hamilton to be signed by the Blue Jays.

Assuming you're right about that, do you think there's a difference between Hamilton and Marcum in terms of skill level and fulfilling a need on the Blue Jays roster?

Hamilton is a much needed left handed power bat. Putting him between Bautista and Encarnacion would make for the most balanced and potent 3-4-5 combination in baseball. Hamilton's addiction problems are what puts him reasonably in the Blue Jays price range and term restrictions. Because the Blue Jays draft 10th overall in 2013, it's protected against forfeiting it when signing top free agents.

Marcum would likely be the 4th or 5th starter and if he doesn't put in the effort to keep himself well conditioned, (not my accusation) then why would they want to take the risk on him?
    Hamilton would fulfill our biggest need, but I wouldn't sign him for more than 4 years... and I'm 99% sure someone is going to give him at least 6 years if not more.

Marcum also fulfills a need, because we would be upgrading over Happ and we know that Marcum is capable of pitching in the AL. This is a realistic option, because he actually wants to come here. We just need to provide him with a decent contract (3/30 + option?).

Marcum has a lot less of a risk factor than Hamilton. As long as, he's not drinking before and during a game and making his "problem" public *cough* Boston *cough*, then I'm fine with taking a risk on him. You can put a question mark on pretty much everybody on our roster, so signing Marcum wouldn't be any different. It would give us good depth that we need for a whole season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KidDraco View Post
    Hamilton would fulfill our biggest need, but I wouldn't sign him for more than 4 years... and I'm 99% sure someone is going to give him at least 6 years if not more.
    It seems like no one is eager to even go near what Hamilton is asking for (7yr/$175m). The one team which would be willing to do that already has a full and expensive outfield; the Dodgers (Ethier, Kemp, Crawford). The Yankees, Rangers, Phiilies and Red Sox don't seem to be aggressively pursuing him either. My personal prediction is that he signs with a mid-market team for somewhere in the 5yr/$125m range, although I have no inside knowledge of the market to substantiate that prediction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dol-Fan View Post
    Ah, well that makes more sense. He does come off as a bit of a boozer

http://mopupduty.com/wp-content/uplo...aun-marcum.jpg

Now the straight up for Lawrie swap makes even more sense...
    Ya. Perfect sense....

vCash
    ^ LOL at the picture of Lawrie in you're sig

vCash
    how does marcum come off as a boozer but not lawrie? lol i miggy had alcohol abuse problems and he turned out to be okay. off-field issues dont bother me like that, especially when it doesnt effect on-field performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast