Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tr3ymill3r View Post
    Derp a derp derp a derp
    Whatever that means.

vCash
    lol someone didn't read or listen carefully, only reason stern found this fine-worthy is because they did it too early in the season and didn't notify anyone about it. i still think its ******** though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dewpsp View Post
    so you saying "Would you all grow up and get off Stern's azz?" is not off topic? wow. you're the one that started going off topic **** dumbass. so stfu. your post in this thread is annoying when you're the ****ing moron that instigated everything. probably a nerdy 16 year old telling someone to growup. hilarious.

and most people here agree that stern should **** off in situations like these. he has no right telling a coach what to do. so the spurs should just lie and say they were sick or something? stern's old age is affecting his decisions. he did not make one right decisions for the past two years.

only fining the spurs because it is early is stupid also. a game is a game no matter when. there are games near the end of the season where a team makes their only trip to another's team court, so his reasonings are baseless. he better fine every team that sits their top players from here on out.
    My first post was on topic. I feel that this thread was merely started as an attack on Stern rather than a serious discussion like some people were trying to have in the original thread actually pertaining to what happened. Additionally, I did not target any specific poster with what I said but simply made a general rebuke.

Everything else you wrote is purely opinion with no argument. Prove something up in that emotional rant up there and I will respond to it with a thoughtful argument of my own.

vCash
    So let me get this straight.

Spurs have been fined for "cheating" the fans out of seeing stars. Yet the game was decided within the final minute of play and had 25+ lead changes.

All of these "fans" have also been the same ones labeling the Spurs as "old and boring" for the past decade.

Lol Stern, what a joke of a league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Don't you think it's kind of weird how Stern gets upset when Miami fans don't get to watch Dunca, Parker and Manu, but he doesn't get upset when Washington fans and Boston fans don't get to see LBJ, Bosh and Wade?

The problem here is that there is no precedent. There are no rules against doing what Pop did and so to fine him is wrong. Pop did the same thing last season and no objections were raised, in fact, a statement was made saying it was fine.

Knowing that there are no rules against it, why should Pop or the Spurs get fined?

Kenny makes a good point about this:
    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/1...=iref:nbahpt6d

Now that it has happened, if Stern is unhappy with it and wants change the rules to prevent future occurances, that's fine. But when there is no rule in place, and therefore no rule has been broken, how is it fair to levy a fine?
    Before anyone else gets upset, I will say first that I can see both sides of this issue and I jumped in on the pro-fine side essentially because I saw too many people making this topic into "Stern is the devil."

I agree that it's a big fine seemingly out of nowhere. There were some rumors that Pop has been talked to about this before or at least that there was a strong sentiment against this (but not strong enough to come up with an official rule).

Now, Ernie and C-Webb bring up the other part of why Stern could do this. First off, just like our US Constitution, there are little ambiguous clauses in the rules that allow Stern to make decisions under the heading of "the spirit of the game/of competitiveness." If there is an uproar from owners, then he might have to reverse course but that does not seem to be the case.

The next part is the fact that it is the beginning of the year and no one expects this. I get that Kenny can say Pop is starting a new thing just like resting players for the playoffs was a new thing at one point in time. Pop knows what he's doing, but that leads me to the "timeliness" of it all. With one quick detour to say that there should not be fines at the end of the year because those teams are aiming for a title (where they will be on national t.v. multiple times for everyone) and that last year is a totally different schedule story with the condensed season.

So, the final part of Stern's announcement was that the Spurs did not notify the network, the fans or the Heat in a timely enough manner. That's important. Pop said he knew back in August that he was going to do this. He easily could have let that be know to the league and they could have possibly re-scheduled with the network (who pays a shitload for the rights) or at least given them a head's up not to promote it the same way. Same thing with the Heat organization. If they know that the Spurs aren't going to play their best players, they don't have the PR nightmare of advertising it that way.

Finally, however you feel about Stern, I would say that you have to understand what his job really entails. First and foremost his job is about making the NBA profitable and "fair" for the owners - they are the ones who employ him and they are the ones expecting him to grow the league monetarily.
    Last edited by topdog; 12-01-2012 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    Stern explicitly stated in his declaration that this offense took in a variety of factors including early in the season and that this was the Spurs only trip to Miami this year.

Would you all grow up and get off Stern's azz?
    well, Stern is treading murky waters with this decision. Pops has done this forever, but now that its a nationally televised game, in Miami, its suddenly an action worth noting?

Stern reached here, and he has no business interfering with how a coach plays his rotations. 4 games in 5 nights, on the road, against a great team. Pops had this game scheduled to rest his guys the minute the schedule came out, Stern needs to back off.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    well, Stern is treading murky waters with this decision. Pops has done this forever, but now that its a nationally televised game, in Miami, its suddenly an action worth noting?

Stern reached here, and he has no business interfering with how a coach plays his rotations. 4 games in 5 nights, on the road, against a great team. Pops had this game scheduled to rest his guys the minute the schedule came out, Stern needs to back off.
    I was going off memory and forgot to mention the 3rd factor of the "totality" and that is the lack of notice from the Spurs about their lineup change which combines to negatively impact the reputation and profitability of the NBA (the things Stern's job is really concerned about).

If we're talking about basic gut opinions, I would say this is a warning to teams not to skip out on primetime nationally-televised games. Of course, there is only circumstantial evidence for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topdog View Post
    I was going off memory and forgot to mention the 3rd factor of the "totality" and that is the lack of notice from the Spurs about their lineup change which combines to negatively impact the reputation and profitability of the NBA (the things Stern's job is really concerned about).

If we're talking about basic gut opinions, I would say this is a warning to teams not to skip out on primetime nationally-televised games. Of course, there is only circumstantial evidence for that.
    Then the warning needs to come before the fine. If Stern wants to make sure his nationally televised games are two teams playing honestly, he needs to make it clear, so Pops could have picked the previous nights game to sit them.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Then the warning needs to come before the fine. If Stern wants to make sure his nationally televised games are two teams playing honestly, he needs to make it clear, so Pops could have picked the previous nights game to sit them.
    I agree that the warning should have come first. I think Stern is in a bit of a bind where the owners won't ratify an official rule and yet he knows the negative impact of letting it slide on a TNT Thursday night game could have on future t.v. deals.

He definitely could have handled this better. I wouldn't discount some bad blood between him and Pop either. At the end of the day, I just feel like people are too quick to villanize Stern without considering what being successful at his job entails (and how that has benefited fans and the NBA) or realizing his limits (people were blaming him for making the schedule).

vCash
    I think he should fine the Bulls $1,000,000 for allowing Rose to miss so many games.

vCash
    it depends on the time they do it in the season. if it's the last 2 games of the season, it's reasonable since you're going to the playoffs and you want your key players healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinsEvansDUO View Post
    Not going to read your posts or respond to them because judging by your sig you are a clueless nutjob. That girl is a 7/10 and you probably think shes a 10. Which means IRL you must be a 5/10 and sorry no offense bro but I don't talk to 5/10s or below, and by bro I mean never my bro.
    CousinsEvansDUO doesn't think i'm hot..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knicks=love View Post
    it depends on the time they do it in the season. if it's the last 2 games of the season, it's reasonable since you're going to the playoffs and you want your key players healthy.
    But screw having them healthy during the season right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giants73756 View Post
    What a ******** question.
    agreed
    <<<<Home of the Giants
    SF Giants -
    Heat -
    49ers - x5
    Sharks -
    Texas A&M (CFB) - Johnny "football" Manziel!!!!
    Seton Hall (CBB) - One day........I miss Dehere
    Current favorite players - D Wade, Patrick Willis, Buster Posey.
    All time fave's - Glen Rice/ZO, Barry Bonds, Jerry Rice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    1 game is 1 game. You don't get extra wins or losses earlier in the season. Most ignorant argument to defend Stern, only makes it look worse.
    1 game really is 1 game?! My point is later in the season there usually isn't that much to play for, also you should go complain about something that matters.

vCash
    so if the spurs win do they still get fined?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast