Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pelfrey, Acosta and Torres officially have been non tendered.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ng-mets-career
    Mike Pelfrey, the ninth overall pick in the 2005 draft, has been non-tendered by the New York Mets and expects to pitch elsewhere next season, he told ESPNNewYork.com.

Pelfrey made three starts this past season before undergoing May 1 Tommy John surgery. He already has thrown a 105-pitch session this week at his alma mater, Wichita State, including 60 pitches to hitters, and expects to easily be ready for next season.

Pelfrey made $5.6875 million in 2012. He had been eligible for arbitration for a final time this offseason.

Center fielder Andres Torres ($2.7 million salary in 2012) and right-hander Manny Acosta ($875,000) also have been non-tendered tonight. Torres arrived last offseason with reliever Ramon Ramirez from the San Francisco Giants for outfielder Angel Pagan in an ill-fated swap.

Arbitration-eligible players who are tendered contracts by the midnight deadline must receive at least 80 percent of their previous year’s salaries, and rarely receive any reduction. By cutting Pelfrey loose, the Mets are free to sign him for any amount.

Manager Terry Collins said during the final week of the season he would be eager for the organization to bring back Pelfrey as a reliever.

Still, Pelfrey indicated he is strongly inclined to consider only starting roles, although he and agent Scott Boras have not had in-depth discussions about that issue. Pelfrey finds it difficult to foresee re-signing if the Mets show interest unless one of the established starters -- R.A. Dickey, Johan Santana, Jonathon Niese, Matt Harvey or Dillon Gee -- is traded.

“For me, I prefer to start,” Pelfrey said. “I haven’t really had a whole lot of discussions with [Boras] about that. I know they kind of mentioned it doesn’t make sense to have Tommy John and then go to the bullpen. For me, my first option would be to start. I feel like I can give a team 200-plus innings, which is pretty valuable.

“Coming off surgery, the biggest thing for me is I need to pitch. Coming into camp as the extra guy is not something I would want to do. … I didn’t work that hard to be an extra guy. I want to take the ball every fifth day. Obviously, numbers-wise, if they have five starters, I wouldn’t come back. … If the Mets have five starters, I guess I’ll end up pitching somewhere else.”

Despite his departure, Pelfrey expressed appreciation to the lone organization he has known in his eight seasons as a professional ballplayer. Pelfrey, 28, produced a 50-54 record and 4.36 ERA in 153 appearances (149 starts) for the club.

“I want to thank the organization for giving me the opportunity,” Pelfrey said. “It was my first opportunity. They stuck by me through some good times. They stuck by me through some bad times. I appreciate everything they’ve done for me. I wish them nothing but the best in the future. I don’t know what’s going to happen with my future, but whatever transpires, as long as I’m not playing against them, I’ll be rooting for them and I wish them the best of luck.”

Pitchers often take a full year to recover from Tommy John surgery, but Pelfrey insisted he would be ready for game action by January and is actually going to back off throwing slightly so he comes into a camp in February going full throttle but not sooner.

“The most important thing is for me to be healthy,” Pelfrey said, “and I honestly believe I’ll have an opportunity to pitch somewhere. I just want to pitch. I’m on track for Jan. 15. So everything is going well. Tim Hudson came back in seven months [from Tommy John surgery]. Joba Chamberlain last year came back in eight before he broke his ankle. And I’ll be about eight and a half or so. I’ll definitely be ready when spring training rolls around.”

vCash
    I wish Pelf wasn't a Boras client.

vCash
    If Pelf could be handled for 1 year 2 million dollar deal, I'd gladly take him as a 5th starter. I had a lot of faith in him before that injury.

vCash
    Manager Terry Collins said during the final week of the season he would be eager for the organization to bring back Pelfrey as a reliever.
    Me too but Scott Boras doesn't represent non-elite relievers.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    I can easily see Pelfrey going to the Royals or Marlins, maybe even the Pirates or obviouslt the Padres since he is an Omar guy and all those 4 places would be good for him since they are all very pitching friendly places.

vCash
    KC makes sense. He's from that part of the world and they need pitching. I can see them taking a flier on a guy like Pelfrey.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    KC makes sense. He's from that part of the world and they need pitching. I can see them taking a flier on a guy like Pelfrey.
    And then he'll pitch well, and people will say it's because he's mentally weak and just couldn't handle the pressure of NY, even though he had 2 very solid seasons here and was the best pitcher in our rotation for a few starts before getting injured.

vCash
    Bye Pelf, don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out.
    No more waiting for him to be something, no more waiting to see if the TJ worked.
    The Mets have moved on, and I don't care what anyone says...good riddance!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    And then he'll pitch well, and people will say it's because he's mentally weak and just couldn't handle the pressure of NY, even though he had 2 very solid seasons here and was the best pitcher in our rotation for a few starts before getting injured.

Are you saying he wasnt mentally weak?
    Stop blaming the wilpons and the Mets for the crappy product on the field and for your meth addiction, blame society

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rebuilding View Post
    Are you saying he wasnt mentally weak?
    You bet.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Pass on Pelfrey.

He's unreliable. I have very little confidence in his ability to improve.

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...standard::none

We must be interpreting his numbers differently. I see him as just mediocre.

Just ask Ron Darling his opinion on Pelfrey.

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...standard::none

We must be interpreting his numbers differently. I see him as just mediocre.

Just ask Ron Darling his opinion on Pelfrey.
    Uh, are 2008 and 2010 not two very solid seasons?

Darling also said "what you see is what you get" and then Pelfrey came storming out of the gate with extra fastball velocity and more use of his sinker before he got hurt. His stuff looked better this year than ever before.