Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Early impressions on the 12/13 season.

Early impressions on the 12/13 season.

1. Mo Williams looks like he fits our system well. He could be our PG for the next few years.
    2. Foye was a steal, he is playing well and deserves minutes.
    3. Foye and Burks should play with the second unit, not Tinsley.
    4. Many of our players don't understand their role on the team yet.
    5. Favors must play more minutes, at least 25 per game.
    6. Coach has a difficult job with this much depth. We need to be patient with his rotations.
    7. Team energy seems to determine wins and losses.
    8. We have enough talent to make the playoffs.
    9. Millsap and Jefferson are not playing as well as last year.
    10. With this much depth someone will start to complain about playing time.

vCash
    right. cuz we need yet another thread to discuss the early season...
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

vCash
    I have a couple of things. 1 is favors needs more time. don't care how it gets done, but there are games where he is our best player. 2 kanter and favors don't work hardly at all right now. 3 we really need a backup pg. it can't be foye because he just can't do it, it can't be burks because he can't do it, and tinsley is just terrible. maybe watson can be our answer, but if not we need to look for a trade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    right. cuz we need yet another thread to discuss the early season...
    Thanks for reminding everyone what a d-bag sounds like.

vCash
    Not thread worthy so I'll just post this here.

Source

In a crowded Utah Jazz frontcourt where minutes have been hard to come by, Derrick Favors is carving out a place for himself deserving of a third overall draft pick. Since being traded to the Jazz in the deal that sent Deron Williams to the Nets at the 2011 trade deadline, Favors has been stuck behind Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap. This year, however, he’s getting noticed despite the internal competition.

“It’s difficult, but they understand the competition of the position,” Jazz head coach Tyrone Corbin explained. “Al, Paul, Enes [Kanter], Derrick and Jeremy Evans, who is a guy on the outside looking in, deserve minutes on the floor.

“I think [Favors] has a better understanding [now] of what it’s going to take for him to be successful in this league.”

While Favors still can’t get much more than 20 minutes a game playing behind the veterans Millsap and Jefferson, he has been far more effective in those minutes. The biggest change has been at the defensive end of the court, where everything finally appears to be slowing down for the young big man.

“Every year he is gaining more confidence,” Jefferson said. “He is understanding the game. When you are a rookie, a young player, the game moves fast, but as you get older and been around, it slows down until you start to understand where it’s coming from. That’s the difference. Everybody knew he had talent, that’s why he was drafted so high. Now he is starting to understand the game and it is starting to slow down for him and he is adjusting well to it.”

“[Favors] is definitely going to be a superstar in this league and you can count on it in my opinion,” Jefferson added.

Where Favors has made incremental improvements in his scoring and rebounding, he has figured out how to defend other big men and it has showed with a big jump in steals and blocks. So far this season, Favors is averaging 0.9 steals and 2.5 blocks in just over 24 minutes a game. In Utah’s recent triple overtime road win over Toronto, Favors had four blocks off the bench and was key in holding Andrea Bargnani to 2-13 shooting after the first quarter.

“We have a lot of good offensive players,” Favors said. “So I just try to come in and make an impact on the defensive end.

“Derrick’s defense on Bargnani, he did a great job,” Corbin said after the game in Toronto. “It was one of the keys to the game for us.”

One of the toughest lessons for young players to learn is how to play on the road and Favors admits that the crowds in opposing building used to have an impact on his game. However, this is something Favors appears to have put this behind him.

“Playing at home, you have the crowd behind you, so you come out with a lot of energy and you’re in your comfort zone,” Favors said. “But when you’re on the road, you got the crowd against you and the opposing team has the home crowd to satisfy so they come out with a lot of energy. It’s pretty tough, but after awhile you start to get used to it.”

This season, Favors has been an impact player on the road with three multi-block and two multi-steal performances in opponent’s buildings. Favors is fulfilling the defensive promise that was evident when he was drafted.

“I’m playing a lot better and have a lot more confidence than what I had when I was a rookie,” Favors said. “I’m a lot stronger, a lot more aggressive, and know pretty much what’s going on compared to my rookie season.”

Like many high draft picks, superior athleticism had allowed Favors to be successful in college despite a lack of discipline in his game, but that is rarely a recipe for success at the next level. Now into his third NBA season, the game has slowed down for the young big man and the only thing holding back a breakout season is an opportunity to play more minutes. The Jazz have a superstar in the making, if only Corbin and the Jazz management can figure out how to get him on the court.

vCash

Comments on original thread

1. Surprisingly agree Williams is good in the system and could be the PG for a few years.
    2. Foye has played well at times, but is a little bit inconsistant on his shots, and his defense needs to get better.
    3. Tinsley is very very disappointing in how lackadaisical he is at times, and he has shot the ball horribly.
    4. The team has not jelled real well yet. It is definately a big change up from a lot of the same from previous years.
    5. Favors should be the starting 5. He is by far and away the best defensive player, and a decent scorer and rebounder. He will get better with more minutes I believe.
    7. The energy is beyond ridiculous on the road. I understand being even keeled, but there really needs to be a fire lit under these guys to effort more. They are really underacheiving, and it is very obvious on the road.
    8. The talent is there, and the coach needs to get in out of these guys. There needs to be a demand for these guys to really push themselves.
    9. I think the roles players have, and the team coming together affects Millsap and Jefferson.
    10. Complaints would be good--I wouldn't mind seeing players wanting to put the team on their back to get wins. I don't want complaints so that I can get mine and get a good contract though.

vCash
    one thing that does need to get though it hayward needs to shoot ball much better then he is now. He had quite a few wide open shots and just missed what seemed like all of them

vCash
    why are you surprised about williams, ace? it's not like he was a nobody who suddenly shined. he's had a very solid career.
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

vCash
    Williams has performed as expected.

Defensive rotations with our bigs for help are still a problem. And its not just with Jefferson as a lot like to single out. All the bigs have had this problem so far.

Millsap and Jefferson continue to show why Favors and Kanter should get limited minutes.

Foye has been great so far. Not sure why one bad shooting game means he's inconsistent. Don't all perimeter shooters have a bad game here and there? I guess we forgot we had absolutely no perimeter shooting last year.

Love the flexibility of the roster and the coaching. We got a pretty good lineup if we can play our big 3 up front and bench Hayward or anyone who is struggling for someone who is hot.

I would like to see better off the ball movement with more slashing and back doors when our bigs get double teamed. We don't seem to make the other team pay as much for double teams or cheating like we did when Sloan was coaching.

Overall, we got a good team, just need to show up on the road games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdood View Post
    Williams has performed as expected.

Defensive rotations with our bigs for help are still a problem. And its not just with Jefferson as a lot like to single out. All the bigs have had this problem so far.

Millsap and Jefferson continue to show why Favors and Kanter should get limited minutes.

Foye has been great so far. Not sure why one bad shooting game means he's inconsistent. Don't all perimeter shooters have a bad game here and there? I guess we forgot we had absolutely no perimeter shooting last year.

Love the flexibility of the roster and the coaching. We got a pretty good lineup if we can play our big 3 up front and bench Hayward or anyone who is struggling for someone who is hot.

I would like to see better off the ball movement with more slashing and back doors when our bigs get double teamed. We don't seem to make the other team pay as much for double teams or cheating like we did when Sloan was coaching.

Overall, we got a good team, just need to show up on the road games.

Watch Kanter guarding pick and roll favors as well both are 1000000000 times better than Al.

but whatever apparently there are lots of jazz fans in here that love .500 basketball.

I am pretty bleak about our situation actually. I want to pull the trigger on a trade and move forward but looking around i just dont see the trade out there.

I am disappointed in Favors development ( be it minutes or whatever)
    I am seeing Kanter regress mentally at times.

I am so god dammed tired of average basketball since the statues retired. :cry:
    Hi There

JAZZ / UTES / LIONS / REDWINGS / TIGERS / ALL-BLACKS

vCash
    Disappointed in favors development??? He was basically the guy that won the Toronto game. Without big Al's shot from three and favors d its all over but the crying. Favors is demanding more mins every game and Corbin seems to be starting to get it. It's too early for any trade talks ect... The only for sure thing this early in the season is one thing, the warriors will initiate tank mode any min now!!

vCash
    How can we already be disappointed with our team when we trade and gathered 3 new players that address problems we had last year?

Patience
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    aw how cute, nothappy is calling out to his play-buddies.

i can think of no other reason to bring up the whore-iors...
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

vCash
    Peep the sig

Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    If Currys defense is so bad, why do the warriors have the third best defensive team in the league? Why do opposing point guards have a less than average per of 14.9 when Curry is in the game? Why does curry LEAD the nba with a plus minus of +416.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    You can rattle off all of the stats you want with no context whatsoever. You still said Curry is the 4th best player in the league.
    I guess stats aren't factual when rattled off?

vCash
    Warriors have a better record.

Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    If Currys defense is so bad, why do the warriors have the third best defensive team in the league? Why do opposing point guards have a less than average per of 14.9 when Curry is in the game? Why does curry LEAD the nba with a plus minus of +416.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    You can rattle off all of the stats you want with no context whatsoever. You still said Curry is the 4th best player in the league.
    I guess stats aren't factual when rattled off?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast