Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    He's also 29 (will be 30 at the start of next season) and relies in large part on his speed
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fukudome View Post
    I think Bourn is being really underrated in here. Just because he doesn't have 30 HR potential, does not mean that he is not a valuable asset. He fits in line almost exactly with what the organization is trying to do. Bourn would continue the trend of taking pitches, stealing bases, and working counts. Not to mention him being very good in CF.
    you are talking like he's 25 he will 30 when the season starts his speed is gonna decrease we don't need another soriano contract to haunt us

vCash
    Gross

vCash
    I think Bourn is being really underrated in here. Just because he doesn't have 30 HR potential, does not mean that he is not a valuable asset. He fits in line almost exactly with what the organization is trying to do. Bourn would continue the trend of taking pitches, stealing bases, and working counts. Not to mention him being very good in CF.
    Does that mean you want to give him 15 + mill a year??
    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Depends on how many years. 4/60 doesn't make me flinch. 6/90 does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Does that mean you want to give him 15 + mill a year??
    Yes. On a 4 year deal I would be okay with that average. Maybe even a little more. What I would not want is a 7 year deal even at a 14M average. To me it is more about the years than the salary per year. I believe he will be productive for 4 years.

vCash
    The problem is you might be paying a guy for his speed while he is 34 or 35. So unless the Cubs plan on making several other moves to try and contend now, I think the risk on the back end of his deal is way too high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog312 View Post
    The problem is you might be paying a guy for his speed while he is 34 or 35. So unless the Cubs plan on making several other moves to try and contend now, I think the risk on the back end of his deal is way too high.
    So at 34 or 35 he cannot run anymore? It is not like he is 40. Plus if he keeps OBP around .360 or so he is a good lead off hitter even if he only steals 25 to 30 bases at that old age of 35

vCash
    It's amazing to me that statheadery has gotten to the point where it's telling us that the slap hitter with the very mediocre OPS is actually worth a ton because of defense and baserunning.

vCash
    I never once said how much I would be willing to pay him, I just said that I think he's being undervalued. People were willing to pay Upton $15-17 AAV, for his .298 OBP and somewhat meh defense?

What am I missing here? OMG HRZZZZZ is what this seems like to me. If Upton was worth that, why isn't Bourn? Both are consistent 4-5 WAR players, while Bourn gets on base more and plays better defense. Upton hits more HR's. He might not be the sexy player, but he's an asset nonetheless.

vCash
    I think the years is the important issue, the money each year will be about the same regardless. Also, im not familiar with this front office's stance on no trade clauses. Does anyone know if they're for or against? That could potentially be a deal breaker as well.

After getting burnt by Dempster not going to Atlanta, and Soriano not going to SF I wonder if that could change their stance.

vCash
    I never once said how much I would be willing to pay him, I just said that I think he's being undervalued. People were willing to pay Upton $15-17 AAV, for his .298 OBP and somewhat meh defense?
    Upton has played more than one season of baseball. People really cling to that 2012 when they hate. The funny thing is that he still put up 3.1 oWAR even with that career low OBP (by ~.040 points).

I don't mind Bourn at 15 or even 17. I mind the years he might be asking for. Bourn is a guy I just don't want for over 4 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Upton has played more than one season of baseball. People really cling to that 2012 when they hate. The funny thing is that he still put up 3.1 oWAR even with that career low OBP (by ~.040 points).

I don't mind Bourn at 15 or even 17. I mind the years he might be asking for. Bourn is a guy I just don't want for over 4 years.
    I completely get a down year, however, dipping under a .300 OBP at any point scares me. I like Upton, I like Bourn, too. If people were a proponent of one, I can't really see being against the other. Both are a HUGE upgrade to our team for the next 4-5 years, at which time hopefully Almora is ready to take the reigns.

And to your second point, this is more so what I was getting at. The years might be a debatable point, but the money should be right around there.

vCash
    No to Bourn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toki_wartooth View Post
    If the Cubs are going to spend money on an outfielder, I'd rather they go after Swisher.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast