Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    I wonder what happens if nobody ends up ponying up for Bourn? The new CBA really screwed him worse than anyone else this off-season. Without it he would have easily been signed to a rather nice 5 year deal by now. But with it teams are looking at losing their first round pick but more importantly the slot money that goes along with the pick which I think its far more valuable than the pick itself.
    Nah, it screwed Rafael Soriano the worst, by far. Someone will wind up ponying up for Bourn. Texas scares me, since they would lose their 1st, but receive the comp pick on Hamilton within 6 spots of it. Soriano? Not a chance. No one's punting their first for a closer. As for what happens to these guys, if no one signs them? They've got to sign a minor league deal or sit out until a certain date in the season.

vCash
    Soriano screwed himself by turning down the QO

vCash
    Yup Soriano can only blame himself.

vCash
    True. In the end, he listened to Boras and I'll be stunned if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat on that one. I guess, if there IS a team that'd possibly entertain it, it'd be the Angels, since they've already punted their 1st and are definitely in "all in" mode.

vCash
    I think it might be a decent idea if the Cubs signed him. He's likely going to go well below market value. It only costs them a 2nd rounder and they could either keep him long term or flip him. I'd have to think the package they could get for him would exceed the value of that 2nd rounder.

vCash
    I could probably look this up, but what happens when a team signs two guys who received qualifying offers? Do they forfeit two picks?

vCash
    Yeah, you'd lose your top 2 unprotected picks.

vCash
    Delete: wrong thread.
    Last edited by Chicago657; 12-24-2012 at 04:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by davell View Post
    True. In the end, he listened to Boras and I'll be stunned if he can pull a rabbit out of his hat on that one. I guess, if there IS a team that'd possibly entertain it, it'd be the Angels, since they've already punted their 1st and are definitely in "all in" mode.
    Very interesting. So if there is a great free agent class and your team has a pick in the 20's range, it might be worth while grabbing several high end free agents because you are not losing all that much.
    I'm not as think as you bad off I am...
    I have a split personality, and so do I.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cubs View Post
    Very interesting. So if there is a great free agent class and your team has a pick in the 20's range, it might be worth while grabbing several high end free agents because you are not losing all that much.
    Except you lose the alloted draft money too. While it isn't as large as the first 10 picks, it is still a substantial part of your draft budget.

I'm not saying don't sign a player that significantly help your team because you'd lose out on the 20-something pick and the associated money, just that it isn't just about the picks anymore. Whereas before if you lost a pick, you could always spend up to "buy" a first-round talent away from college later in the draft. If you lose the pick and the money, it is much tougher to do that now. There are almost two currencies in the draft now since they are both "capped", picks and bonus pool money.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617