Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Not going over the moon in your arbitration submission is a start.
    Yeah he wanted 14+ after making 5.95 so yeah he was being a diva with what he was asking for.
    Last edited by ABE32; 12-07-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Extension that is 12 mill for arbitration.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Not going over the moon in your arbitration submission is a start.
    Is it? How likely was he to get that number in arbitration?

vCash
    It is.

vCash
    Walk me through this one.

vCash
    This is real simple. The Cubs are talking to Bourn because they should talk to every free agent that someone is going to spend big money on. The reason for that is everyone is your opponent and by getting someone else to overpay for someone you dont even really want makes it easier for you to get another free agent when they dont have the money because of a player like Bourn.

Another reason the Cubs are talking to Bourn is because what if you can get him cheap? You dont know until you ask. If not, back to my orginal point. Drive up the price for the rest of the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Walk me through this one.
    Asking for an insanely high arbitration award is not the action of a player who is interested in taking a discounted or below-market-value deal.

vCash
    Asking for an insanely high arbitration award is not the action of a player who is interested in taking a discounted or below-market-value deal.
    Yeah I get that's your conclusion, but I don't get the thought process before it. What were the chances he walked out of arb with 14+? Will he even make 14 this year after getting 9 last year? I'm rushing but it seems like it will or should be more complicated than that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    That isn't true being I am pretty sure the Braves made him a qualifying offer. If that is the case he would cost the Cubs a high second round draft pick. Since they have all but done away with the supplemental picks the players who normally went in the sandwich rounds would be there for the Cubs at their pick. Bourn really doesn't make any sense for the Cubs at this point especially at that cost.
    A late second round pick is worth shying away from a very good major league starting OF? Come on now. The chances of a late second round pick even sticking as a bench player are incredibly low.

Bourn doesn't make a ton of sense at this point. If you sign him, you have to trade DeJesus, for whom I doubt there is a big market, or Soriano, which cuts into your gains from Bourn pretty severely.

If we plan on spending any or all of the remaining money (a dubious proposition with this team these days), I'd rather just go for pitching. You cannot have too much of it.
    Why would they have to trade DeJesus or Soriano? You don't seriously think Schierholz (sp) is blocking anybody do you? Bourn is a solid 4+ win player over the last 4 seasons. The only knock against him is age. Not everyone completely falls apart like Crawford did.

Look guys, there's a curve of reasonability for a contract for Bourn. If things break right and they can get him on a contract less than 6 and 80 million dollars, that fits within the curve and is worth signing him for.

OOTP TKO League Milwaukee Brewers 2010-2032:
    2011-1655, .549 Win %
    10 NL Central Titles, 2 Wild Card 12 Total Playoff Appearances
    1 World Series Title (2021)

Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.

-Malcolm Reynolds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Yeah I get that's your conclusion, but I don't get the thought process before it. What were the chances he walked out of arb with 14+? Will he even make 14 this year after getting 9 last year? I'm rushing but it seems like it will or should be more complicated than that.
    Extension talks last year were said to be (asking for Annual salary of 14+) Even his arbitration number requested at 12.5 was insanely high.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Garza at 14 doesn't sound bad (depending on years and health)
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1fe5 View Post
    A late second round pick is worth shying away from a very good major league starting OF? Come on now. The chances of a late second round pick even sticking as a bench player are incredibly low.

Why would they have to trade DeJesus or Soriano? You don't seriously think Schierholz (sp) is blocking anybody do you? Bourn is a solid 4+ win player over the last 4 seasons. The only knock against him is age. Not everyone completely falls apart like Crawford did.

Look guys, there's a curve of reasonability for a contract for Bourn. If things break right and they can get him on a contract less than 6 and 80 million dollars, that fits within the curve and is worth signing him for.
    Why would their second round pick be late?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Yeah it wouldn't be a late 2nd but he's still right with his overall point. 2nd round picks suck. They shouldn't be avoiding major league players because of 2nd round picks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1fe5 View Post
    What are you talking about? The Cubs would be giving up their second round pick meaning it would be somewhere around the 34-35th pick of the draft (depending on if there are any supplemental round picks). So your looking at giving up someone better than what the Cubs got in Pierce Johnson in the supplemental round.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    Yeah it wouldn't be a late 2nd but he's still right with his overall point. 2nd round picks suck. They shouldn't be avoiding major league players because of 2nd round picks
    Why give up the chance at collecting more assets for a player that isn't going to make much of a difference in the team next year? With Bourn the team currently constructed is still looking at 90+ losses. He isn't going to be a difference maker that puts the club over the top. So I think he is absolutely a player to avoid at this point unless they make a corresponding move (like trading Soriano) to make up for the loss of assets while also opening a spot for him.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Well we do need a cf. Bourn would probably provide more value than any 2nd round pick we get. Its not like bourn would be blocking anyone either. If we are going to win in the next 4 years we need more good players. Bourn is a good one.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast