Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Phillips unhappy with how knee rehab went

Phillips unhappy with how knee rehab went

BY RALPH VACCHIANO

It has been nine long weeks since Kenny Phillips first suffered an MCL injury and he never imagined his right knee would still be a problem. And it’s not just bad luck or chronic knee issues, either.

Phillips said he’s still hurting because “When we started our rehab we didn’t go about it the right way.”

The Giants’ safety wouldn’t get into specifics, nor did he place blame on any one person, but he seemed clearly unhappy about the way his injury has been handled since he first got hurt in a Week 4 game in Philadelphia. He missed the next six games plus the bye week before returning last Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers.

Then he hurt his knee again.

“Yeah, it sucks,” Phillips said. “It’s real frustrating. It seems like it’s always something. But I’ve been able to play through it. This is probably the most I’ve been able to play. I’m trying to bounce back from it. It felt OK. I’m getting better each day.”

Phillips, who was limited in practice on Friday, is pressing to play again on Monday night in Washington and hopes to remain in the lineup the rest of the season. But he’s clearly still hurting and said it’ll likely be that way until the offseason when he can rest.

He had plenty of time to rest before last Sunday night, though, so he definitely didn’t feel like he rushed back onto the field. But something about the way he went about his rehab just didn’t seem to work out.

“When we started our rehab we didn’t go about it the right way, and now here we are, we’re dealing with it right now,” Phillips said. “I don’t want to get into (specifics). It just didn’t work out the way we wanted it to.

Asked if he was angry, Phillips said “I mean, I wouldn’t say I’m mad about it. It is what it is. No one’s perfect. I just think we both felt that something needed to change. We needed to change up the rehab. We just felt like we weren’t doing the right things.

“So we just switched up and it immediately starting feeling better. So I’m here now. I’m not worried about the games that I missed.”

Phillips said his current injury is “kind of pretty much the same thing” as his previous injury, it just “never was completely how it’s supposed to have been -- I’ll just say it like that. It’s obviously not as serious as the left knee injury he suffered in 2009 which led to career-threatening surgery. He insisted he won’t need any surgery this time.

What he needs is what he can’t have. “The biggest thing is going to be rest,” he said, “and I don’t have time for that right now.”

He added that team doctors have told him “it’s either ‘Don’t play’ or ‘You’ve got to play through some pain.’ I’m just dealing with that right now.”
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...nee-rehab-went
    Last edited by GGGGG-Men; 11-30-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added quote box

vCash
    This concerns me a bit with a lot of other players injuries and maybe how the Giants handle them.

vCash
    I don't see anything here about him not returning next year, as was mentioned in the other thread. He's just frustrated, as he should be, with getting injured all the time.

Stevie Brown and Will Hill have both looked strong and last week Sash came in for KP and he didn't really miss a beat, so we're actually pretty deep (though nothing like KP at his peak health and ability) at S if in fact KP wanted to leave.

vCash
    I'll trade knees with him so he can stay on ny healthy

steal of the draft cleanthony early

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I don't see anything here about him not returning next year, as was mentioned in the other thread. He's just frustrated, as he should be, with getting injured all the time.

Stevie Brown and Will Hill have both looked strong and last week Sash came in for KP and he didn't really miss a beat, so we're actually pretty deep (though nothing like KP at his peak health and ability) at S if in fact KP wanted to leave.
    KP is better than both of them combined. And yes they're having a good season but lets not fall under the "James Butler, Michael Johnson" spell again

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    Giants don't really handle players too well. Because they know how to replace talent... there is depth back there. But KP is beyond great n is a lockdown. He is due a contract so hopefully him Nick n Cruz get paid!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RolleWebster View Post
    Giants don't really handle players too well. Because they know how to replace talent... there is depth back there. But KP is beyond great n is a lockdown. He is due a contract so hopefully him Nick n Cruz get paid!!!
    Only problem is how are we going to make the cap space for all three players.
    I can see Phillips and Cruz getting extensions but I am unsure as for Nicks as I can see the smaller market teams with huge cap spaces giving him a huge contract.
    NYG SB CHAMPS

JFT96

vCash
    Besides Bondy, Ralphie is the biggest P.O.S. writer out there. Don't believe a word of his nonsense.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash

Not for nothing G but I've been calling out the medical staff for a while now.. Well obviously KP has a issue with them and there are truely some issues there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY007 View Post
    Not for nothing G but I've been calling out the medical staff for a while now.. Well obviously KP has a issue with them and there are truely some issues there.
    Yes, you have. I have my issues with them as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY007 View Post
    No doubt, but I find it hard to believe the team didn't get who they think are the best in the business and while these recurring injuries have come along, there's been turnover in their staff.

I really have to wonder about their offseason conditioning program. With all the hamstring injuries and guys off rehab having setbacks (KP, Bradshaw, T2, etc) there's something not working.

vCash
    Phillips just has bad knees anyways I dont think his career will last that long. Im all for moving on from him I think the money is better spent else where we need Hakeem Nicks resigned plus JPP soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    Phillips just has bad knees anyways I dont think his career will last that long. Im all for moving on from him I think the money is better spent else where we need Hakeem Nicks resigned plus JPP soon.
    maybe we should consider drafting a safety this year? KP does get hurt a lot so in case we lose him, we can get one from the draft, with plenty of safeties in this year's draft class
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash

Cool

No doubt, but I find it hard to believe the team didn't get who they think are the best in the business and while these recurring injuries have come along, there's been turnover in their staff.

I really have to wonder about their offseason conditioning program. With all the hamstring injuries and guys off rehab having setbacks (KP, Bradshaw, T2, etc) there's something not working.
    There's definitely something not right, been saying this for a while now. It's year after year.. Can't be a coincidence at this point and the fact that KP came out and said something clearly shows there's a issue. Lets keep in mind KP always has a smile on his face and is very quiet and respectful guy wich makes it more alarming.. If it were Osi type guy we would have to take it with a grain of salt.