Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Re-evaluating the Harden trade

Although I am still happy with the trade it is starting to look like we would have received a very high lottery pick if we kept the Toronto pick. Man, can you imagine if that pick falls in the 4-5 range the type player OKC is going to get. That pick was probably the key to the trade, but it may be the one piece in the trade that comes back to haunt us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stros1fan View Post
    Although I am still happy with the trade it is starting to look like we would have received a very high lottery pick if we kept the Toronto pick. Man, can you imagine if that pick falls in the 4-5 range the type player OKC is going to get. That pick was probably the key to the trade, but it may be the one piece in the trade that comes back to haunt us.
    Here's the thing about that, though. For one, it can only be in the 5-14 range. If it's any higher or lower, the pick reverts to next year. Secondly, the Rockets got a 25/5/5 caliber player for an inconsistent offensive player who will be gone after this year, a rookie with huge question marks about his game and a draft pick in a particularly weak draft talent wise.

And, sure, any early first rounder could be the next superstar. But for every superstar in the draft, there's dozens of guys who amount to absolutely nothing. I'll always take the sure thing over potential if that sure thing is a No. 1 caliber player.

Also, suppose the Rockets don't make the playoffs. It's possible the Raptors could be picking in the 5-10 spot and the Rockets picking in the 10-14 spot. Would you trade Martin's expiring contract, Jeremy Lamb and a 5-9 pick dropoff in next year's draft for five years of James freakin' Harden? Hell yeah you would. You'd do it 100 times out of 100 and not think twice about it.

vCash
    The only way the trade was better was if we got Durant thrown in

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Here's the thing about that, though. For one, it can only be in the 5-14 range. If it's any higher or lower, the pick reverts to next year. Secondly, the Rockets got a 25/5/5 caliber player for an inconsistent offensive player who will be gone after this year, a rookie with huge question marks about his game and a draft pick in a particularly weak draft talent wise.

And, sure, any early first rounder could be the next superstar. But for every superstar in the draft, there's dozens of guys who amount to absolutely nothing. I'll always take the sure thing over potential if that sure thing is a No. 1 caliber player.

Also, suppose the Rockets don't make the playoffs. It's possible the Raptors could be picking in the 5-10 spot and the Rockets picking in the 10-14 spot. Would you trade Martin's expiring contract, Jeremy Lamb and a 5-9 pick dropoff in next year's draft for five years of James freakin' Harden? Hell yeah you would. You'd do it 100 times out of 100 and not think twice about it.
    6 years of Harden dude. That trade was freaking awesome for us. And it was pretty good for the Thunder too.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post

I thought it was only top 3 protected. Maybe your right on that, but either way you make a good point. I know most fans are thinking (maybe hoping) The Rockets make the playoffs this year, but with this current cast I can't see us cracking the top 8 in the West. I made this post earlier that we know the Lakers are going to make it and the Mavs are going to improve once Dirk returns. The only 2 teams currently in the top 8 that may drop out are Utah and Golden State, but those two teams very well could get the 7-8 seed. Now, I don't think Morey is done dealing so this could change, but as it stands now I don't see them making the playoffs. The West is just too deep.

vCash
    It will be top-3 protected the year after next.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stros1fan View Post
    I thought it was only top 3 protected. Maybe your right on that, but either way you make a good point. I know most fans are thinking (maybe hoping) The Rockets make the playoffs this year, but with this current cast I can't see us cracking the top 8 in the West. I made this post earlier that we know the Lakers are going to make it and the Mavs are going to improve once Dirk returns. The only 2 teams currently in the top 8 that may drop out are Utah and Golden State, but those two teams very well could get the 7-8 seed. Now, I don't think Morey is done dealing so this could change, but as it stands now I don't see them making the playoffs. The West is just too deep.
    The funny thing is that, as it currently stands, Houston is in seventh place in the West. If they could somehow miraculously beat LA, that would be a huge step in the right direction for them. But the difference between the 6th seed and the 13th spot is only two games right now and the Rockets are going to have to start winning conference games, because they're only 2-7 against the West.

If Harden keeps playing great basketball, Parsons and Patterson continue to provide 15-20 a night, Asik keeps playing double-double basketball while playing great defense and Lin steps his game up, I could legitimately see this Rockets team making the playoffs without a single deal. But in the long term, they need to add at least one more big piece if they want to be contenders.

vCash
    The season is far from over, but as of right now the Raptors would have enough ping pong balls to probably secure a top 3 pick. The Wizards are a laughing 1-13, .071. Cleveland and Toronto are both .235 with a 4-13 record. The only way the Thunder will get that pick this year is if the ping pong balls fall in a weird order. Not to mention, when was the last time a guy has come out of college recently and dominated as well as considered the #1 option on their team? It seem as if with more and more of these one and doners the lottery isn't as much of a sure thing as it used to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tr3ymill3r View Post
    The season is far from over, but as of right now the Raptors would have enough ping pong balls to probably secure a top 3 pick.
    Nope... no... sorry. I can't let you get away with this.

They would show you the room they do the drawing, and they would show all the balls for Toronto in there, but then right before the drawing, television coverage would go somewhere else during the drawing, then that ******* commissioner would come out and announce that New Orleans ... or actually looking at how this is panning out, the Lakers get the #1 draft pick somehow.

vCash
    In the draft you are not guaranteed to ever get a high caliber player. You just never really know how they will end up. The Rockets knew they were getting a difference maker in Harden.