Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    If I was gm I would have traded Simmons yesterday for Justin upton. Do I want an MVP candidate who could be the best hitter on our team and who will get to play alongside his brother or do I want a good defensive shortstop because they are "impossible" to find. Hmmmmm. Yea I'll take one more upton please.
    I like Simmons a lot and hope that we don't have to deal him, but I am starting to agree with your school of thought. I feel like any fans of a neutral team in this case would say Upton is far more valuable than Simmons, especially with a viable replacement in our minors a year away. Again, this is no knock to Simmons, but we are going off of a good rookie season where he excelled offensively over our expectations. What happens if he sophomore slumps? What if we plug him in as leadoff and he can't handle it mentally and tailspins? How many ppl will change their tune then?
    Again, I like Simmons a lot and don't want to lose him, but I can't help but to think a few years back when everybody had Heyward as a perennial MVP candidate his rookie year, then the same fans wanted him dealt that offseason. Some of the same fans had Tommy Hanson as an Ace for years to come, and we saw how he's fallen. Upton has been consistent, and is far more of a "sure thing" at this point.
    Also, we talk about having control over a player, and while it's not on paper, if Justin Upton is dealt to ATL to play alongside BJ, I don't see any circumstance in which he doesn't resign to stay a Brave when his deal is up in a few seasons.

vCash
    Its only a matter of time before Justin comes over anyways.. When he's due for free agency he's just going to become a Brave imo.. You have to protect some players and why create a hole to fill another?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robdizzle3 View Post
    Its only a matter of time before Justin comes over anyways.. When he's due for free agency he's just going to become a Brave imo.. You have to protect some players and why create a hole to fill another?
    I'm not buying that he will be a brave when he hit free agency, he may take a little less money to play here, but he will probably command more than 100 millions in the open market and i'm not sure that we could afford it.

vCash
    Very true.. Which imo should make Wren want to keep Dre even more.. But I know its always beem their dream to play on the same team as they have growing up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    Ahmed's defensive metrics have been almost identical to Simmons minor league defensive metrics....more speed, more walks, more power through the minors...less ba.
    Im a bit intrigued by Ahmed kid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    Is there any basis for the belief that both Upton brothers will play better if they are on the same team? I know it would seem so, but is there anything to support it?
    Is there any reason to believe less than half a season of simba will translate to a full season I say trade him now there's many defensive wiz ss that are obtainable who are decent hitters. There is no guarantee simba does anything this year then We pass up upton for a maybe. I like simba but if I can give him to get upton then I'm sorry he's gone!
    Last edited by wiommi; 12-01-2012 at 05:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wiommi View Post
    Is there any reason to believe less than half a season of simba will translate to a full season I say trade him now there's many defensive wiz ss that are obtainable who are decent hitters. There is no guarantee simba does anything this year then We pass up upton for a maybe. I like simba but if I can give him to get upton then I'm sorry he's gone!
    Don't think you understand how good Simmons already is defensively and what his ceiling is there. He's already one of the 3 or 4 best in baseball and has Ozzie-type ceiling. Basically he'll be an all star if he's just league average in hitting, and will still be valuable even if he doesn't hit much.

vCash
    Simmons played very well in the time he was up. That kind of production in a rookie isn't normal. Part of the reluctance to trade him comes from how well he played and the depth at that position. There hasn't been any indication that Ahmed is ready, yet (or I haven't read it). Also, if Simmons had played a full season, he was on pace for a WAR of 6 (if not higher). He would have been as valuable as Bourn.

It's not Simmons played okay and we had no depth. Simmons played extremely well, and we have no depth. I don't know if shifting the hole from LF to SS is an improvement.

vCash
    Cleveland has discussed trading Asdrubal Cabrera and could use pitching, what if we worked with Cleveland to do a three team trade:

Cleveland gets: Trevor Bauer from AZ and Nick Ahmed from ATL
    AZ gets: Asdrubal Cabrera from CLE, Randall Delgado from ATL and EOF from ATL
    ATL gets: Justin Upton from AZ
    ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLKoos16 View Post
    Cleveland has discussed trading Asdrubal Cabrera and could use pitching, what if we worked with Cleveland to do a three team trade:

So you think AZ gonna give Hupton + Bauer for those players ?

vCash
    I just don't think the Braves can afford to trade Simmons. There are other options for left field (Gordon, Willingham, Choo) that wouldn't require giving up Simmons. The shortstop market is absolutely barren. It would be a HUGE downgrade from Simmons.

In addition, I still think the Braves can get Upton without including Simmons. I would walk into Kevin Towers' suite at the Winter Meetings, and hand him this piece of paper:

1) Freddie Freeman, Andrelton Simmons, Martin Prado, B.J. Upton, Jason Heyward, Kris Medlen, Craig Kimbrel, and Tim Hudson are off-limits.

2) You may choose only one of Randall Delgado, Mike Minor, and Julio Teheran.

3) Take any four (and potentially five) players of your choosing.

The Braves' system isn't THAT strong, but there are still plenty of solid prospects and young players there. Nick Ahmed and Tyler Pastornicky would give them two decent options for the left side of their infield. Jonny Venters would more than solve their need for a lefty reliever. And Mike Minor plus J.R. Graham would give them excellent starting pitching talent. It can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    Is Jon Morosi pretty accurate with his report?
    Morosi is an excellent reporter. He and his partner Ken Rosenthal are the best in the rumor business. This rumor is real.

Quote Originally Posted by robdizzle3 View Post
    Great insight I must say.. How well is Ahmed with the glove?
    Ahmed and Simmons aren't in the same universe defensively. There are some who believe Ahmed is a second or third baseman in the end, due to limited range.

[QUOTE=vtgriff09;24529737]would AZ do a su trade for Simmons??/QUOTE]

I think they would, personally. Matthew Pouliot of Hardball Talk agrees, and he sees your point. Simmons' offensive numbers last year were somewhat out of character given his minor-league track record, so there's still a decent chance he turns into a glove man and nothing more. In which case, the Braves will probably kick themselves for not trading him for Upton. But as I said above, given the current scarcity in the SS market, I'm not sure the Braves can afford to trade Simmons if they hope to contend in 2013.

vCash
    Glad u guys aren't FW
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash

ARZ won't do it.

vCash
    Arizona would have to get another spec to make that deal happen imo.

vCash

Cleveland won't make that trade. The Indians already have a top short stop prospect by the name of Francisco Lindor that they very high on.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast