Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I like Gattis but we cant rely on him as our LF because he hasnt proven he can do anything at the major league level yet.

It was ok to go with Pastornicky at SS last year because we also had Simmons waiting too. The chances of both of them falling flat on their face were less likely.

However if Gattis falls flat on his face, then what? Prado back to LF, and Francisco to 3rd?

Either way I dont think either get us past the Nationals. And we didnt just give out our biggest contract in franchise history just to finish in the same spot we were in last year. Frank Wren wants the division and this year. I dont think Gattis or Francisco as everyday players get us that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    cause he's unproven. Not too wise to bank on a 27 year old, who has never hit in the majors, to be your everyday LF.

If he comes out and flat out takes it. That's fine but you never want to put yourself in a position where you are relying on an unknown to produce.
    The guy proved he can hit AA pitching. Isn't that all McCann and Frenchy did before they came to ATL. I understand they took a more conventional route to MLB. But Gattis has a tremendous power that we need.

I believe in Wren's decisions as he knows a lot more than I do. and I'm sure there is a reason why he isn't handed the job just yet. I just dont buy its becuase he's unproven. A jump from AA to the Majors is quite common.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KKell2507 View Post
    I like Gattis but we cant rely on him as our LF because he hasnt proven he can do anything at the major league level yet.

It was ok to go with Pastornicky at SS last year because we also had Simmons waiting too. The chances of both of them falling flat on their face were less likely.

However if Gattis falls flat on his face, then what? Prado back to LF, and Francisco to 3rd?

Either way I dont think either get us past the Nationals. And we didnt just give out our biggest contract in franchise history just to finish in the same spot we were in last year. Frank Wren wants the division and this year. I dont think Gattis or Francisco as everyday players get us that.
    Francisco isn't going to cut it, I agree with you. And you might be right about Gattis, but you and I both dont know what we will get with Gattis. Gattis just might cut it and be better than anyone you can get at this point.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    Francisco isn't going to cut it, I agree with you. And you might be right about Gattis, but you and I both dont know what we will get with Gattis. Gattis just might cut it and be better than anyone you can get at this point.
    Sure he could be better than anyone we could get. He could also be worse than anyone we could get too. Im not saying he will be either of those, and would certainly lean toward him being better, but we just dont know. And if we were a team trying to build and look for a World Series in 3 years, then I along with everyone else would probably welcome Gattis as our starting LFer opening day.

But this isnt a World Series in 3 years team. This is a World Series now team. We have money to spend, high quality prospects that we can afford to lose, and a position of need that has multiple options both in FA and on the trade market. Its a perfect combination to bring in a BIG TIME LFer to make us major World Series contenders.

Gattis would then be the perfect guy to have in AAA for the year, to allow him some more time to develop and prove himself at a higher level, as well as be the first guy to get the call should an injury occur to Heyward, Upton, or said LFer.

Game Changing LFers arent available on May 15th after we realize Gattis isnt ready yet. Their available now. We just cant afford to risk it in my opinion with a team thats this good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KKell2507 View Post
    Sure he could be better than anyone we could get. He could also be worse than anyone we could get too. Im not saying he will be either of those, and would certainly lean toward him being better, but we just dont know. And if we were a team trying to build and look for a World Series in 3 years, then I along with everyone else would probably welcome Gattis as our starting LFer opening day.

But this isnt a World Series in 3 years team. This is a World Series now team. We have money to spend, high quality prospects that we can afford to lose, and a position of need that has multiple options both in FA and on the trade market. Its a perfect combination to bring in a BIG TIME LFer to make us major World Series contenders.

Gattis would then be the perfect guy to have in AAA for the year, to allow him some more time to develop and prove himself at a higher level, as well as be the first guy to get the call should an injury occur to Heyward, Upton, or said LFer.

Game Changing LFers arent available on May 15th after we realize Gattis isnt ready yet. Their available now. We just cant afford to risk it in my opinion with a team thats this good.
    I agree with you. I just dont see who is available via free agency or trade that would be that much better, whom we can acquire. I just dont see it.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBraves View Post
    Wait a second, you write off Juan Francisco as an everyday player, who's pretty much in the same boat as Gattis in terms of bringing power and being unproven, but buy into Gattis?? I believe the AJC said it perfectly a while back...there needs to be "cautious" optimism regarded Gattis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    Wait a second, you write off Juan Francisco as an everyday player, who's pretty much in the same boat as Gattis in terms of bringing power and being unproven, but buy into Gattis?? I believe the AJC said it perfectly a while back...there needs to be "cautious" optimism regarded Gattis.
    Its the unknown factor that I'm more attracted to, I guess. Francisco is a strikeout machine who will hit over 20HR with a terrible OBP. Gattis will hit just as many HRs and has shown to strikeout a lot less. So yes, at this point I know Francisco is not good, but I dont know if Gattis is good.
    El Oso Blanco

vCash
    It seems like that 4 deal is on, then off or never had any legs.

vCash
    Very interesting read on Justin Upton on SI.com, not sure if this has been posted at all.

Injuries and a thick body type are part of the inconsistency. Upton has had trouble getting through a full season without injuries, some of which have kept him off the field and some of which simply have limited him. In five full seasons he has played more than 150 games once, often hit by ailments in the second half of the season. The younger the player, the less the injury risk, so it seems odd that Upton, still without a 100-RBI season, did not start 18 percent of the games in his age 20-24 seasons.
    Then there is the extreme home/road split of Upton. For a guy who early in his career was compared to Ken Griffey Jr. and Alex Rodriguez as something of a superstar prodigy, when you get him out of Chase Field he's more like Shelly Duncan.
    That's just too weird. You expect some variation in home/road splits, but after more than five years in the big leagues Upton is just another guy, not a franchise player, when he's not in Arizona. Weird.
    Read the full article here:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=mlb_t11_a1

vCash
    ^interesting. Not to say he'll prob become more injury prone as he gets older...

vCash
    Wow.. Interesting read there.

vCash
    Alot of teams have already worried about his shoulder, its why his market has always been some what small. Dbacks have tried to trade him for three years now and nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smoe View Post
    Very interesting read on Justin Upton on SI.com, not sure if this has been posted at all.

Read the full article here:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sct=mlb_t11_a1
    And another thing if you take away the name (and age which is important though because he's only 25) his slash line (278/357/475/832) is basically Nick Swisher
    (256/361/467/828).

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    And another thing if you take away the name (and age which is important though because he's only 25) his slash line (278/357/475/832) is basically Nick Swisher
    (256/361/467/828).
    Which is why, with similar numbers (294/368/455/822) and a gold glove fielder, at 28 with 4 years control, Alex Gordon is the perfect fit. Plus, KC has been a great trade partner in the past and needs pitching.

vCash
    thank you, smoe. i am not a fan of justin, and can't help but feel that we'd be taking a step back by going head-over-heels for him over a solid, steady contributor in bonifacio.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast